Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Skylark of Space - E.E.DocSmith - reference pics?

ZoxesyrZoxesyr332 Posts: 0Member
edited September 2014 in Looking for... #1
Has anyone seen (or created) any art depicting the first Skylark spaceship?
Post edited by Zoxesyr on

• bosunbosun62 Posts: 0Member
    I believe it was described in the book as a metal sphere. Not exactly a thrilling image. I suppose someone might find a challenge in making such a simple idea into something interesting.

I'm curious about your interest in the Skylark. I thought it was one of the worst books I ever read, so it seems an unusual subject to ask about.
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    I have a vague memory of seeing a sphere with surface greeblies on a cheap 1970s paperback edition that I bought in a secondhand store in the 80s. But basically, I think there's no definitive answer... read the book, gather the details, apply your imagination.
  • rojrenrojren2304 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,971Member
    Is that the author that's distressingly fond of exclamation marks?
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    Go and look at atomic rockets, there are several pages on there with many mentions of EE doc smith on them, and i am sure there are some mentions of "skylark of space". Also to add to your comment jenny, book cover images, especially on sci-fi are rarely what the ships inside are supposed to look like, the cover images are stock pictures. For example, the guy who writes at atomic rockets http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/ made a model of a sort of shuttle craft. I have seen images of that same shuttle on atleast 5 book covers (the author of that model isn't credited on the image credits section one usually finds hidden inside a front or back page), all the same ship. It's not because the author said "this is what my ship looks like" it's because the publisher said "here's a quick picture of a ship that will help our book sell".