Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAxanar Archer Arena

tobiasrichtertobiasrichter333 Posts: 0Member
edited August 2014 in Finished Work #1
Another glimpse of "Star Trek Axanar" - Prelude to Axanar, our 20 minute short movie that is premiering saturday 26 in San Diego. We filmed a great speech with Tony Todd as Admiral Ramirez, and worked on the establishing shot in the Archer arena last week, filming some of our production crew as spectators.

The Archer arena is build in 3D, based on the matte painting they had in "Enterprise". Of course itA’s a couple of years later, so some details may have changed, but the basic configuration is very much the same.
106392.jpg
Post edited by tobiasrichter on
JES
Tagged:

• AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    I dunno precisely when Axanar is set, but I don't think that it's the 2290s, which is the time the UFP-signet is from....
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter333 Posts: 0Member
    They used the logo in the Archer Arena in "Enterprise", which takes place even before Axanar...
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Great stuff as always, Tobias. I love the lighting, that looks fantastic.

Enterprise got that part wrong, as they did many things. Unfortunately, that happens when you do a prequel series so far after the original. That exact UFP seal is the TNG version. As near as I can remember, that general type of logo first appeared in TMP, but it was different than that. The center was more circular and had a grid on it and the leaves were shaped differently and spaced farther out. The version used on TNG and Enterprise first appeared on TNG, and was used on some of the later TOS-era films. I've attached an image of the earlier UFP logo from Star Trek II, it's the same one they used in TMP.
    106396.jpg
    Well, it might be that Enterprise got it wrong, but it is on screen, so it is canon, whether we like it or not. And it could be that the TNG variation was the first version, then they changed it during TOS and rechanged it back in TNG. Designs styles come and go and repeat, so that might be an explanation.
    Yep, all true. There are real world examples of logos being changed for a while and then, at a later time, somebody realized the old one was better and they went back to it. The truth is, I really don't care and wasn't worried about it, I just read the discussion and thought I'd add my two cents. :lol: I only remember that the earlier films had a slightly different logo because I've watched them in the past week. ;)
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    babylon 5 changes logo in season 2 to include an olive branch for peace, this is then no longer on their emblem in season 3,4,5. the director explained away this as "they changed it then like a real organisation decided they didn't like the new one and went back".
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    babylon 5 changes logo in season 2 to include an olive branch for peace, this is then no longer on their emblem in season 3,4,5. the director explained away this as "they changed it then like a real organisation decided they didn't like the new one and went back".

Also the fact that a good portion of the galaxy was at war during season 3 and beyond
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann631 Posts: 1,287Member
    It took me a second to realize that wasn't from the show. AMAZING work. Like I need to tell The Tobias that... but dang. Wow.
  • raytridiraytridi0 Posts: 0Member
    I do not have enough konwledge of Star Trek World. But shot atmosphere and VFX looking good.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    Yep, all true. There are real world examples of logos being changed for a while and then, at a later time, somebody realized the old one was better and they went back to it. The truth is, I really don't care and wasn't worried about it, I just read the discussion and thought I'd add my two cents. :lol: I only remember that the earlier films had a slightly different logo because I've watched them in the past week. ;)
    I've been busy with DS9. Good stuff! ;)
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Wonderful work Tobias, as usual :)
  • the Animaniacthe Animaniac179 Posts: 138Member
    Great Work as Always!:thumb:
    Axanar has just launched the first Kickstarter for the full motion picture feature film - the 20 minute short movie "Prelude to Axanar" will be available on the 30th of july.

They show a 5 minute trailer of Prelude in the Kickstarter video - check it out...
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/194429923/star-trek-axanar
    Ooh, only 5 days to go until the release. :D

I loved that long preview, I saw some stuff I hadn't seen in the previous ones. Of course, the effects are badass, but I'm also impressed with the cast. Tony Todd is f***ing awesome, so is J.G. Hertzler. Then you've got Gary Graham back as Soval, Kate Vernon as a Starfleet Captain and Richard Hatch as a Klingon. Great stuff. I'm really looking forward to it.
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    Lordy love a duck!

I just watched all 21.09 minutes of it and am completely blown away! The effects are better than most movies I've seen by far and used to promote the story, not in place of the story. The story! Wow, I love it! The actors were amazing; Richard Hatch!, Tony Todd, Kate Vernon, J.G. Hertzler!

Mind is Blown :notworthy:

Tobias, you have pulled off a visual feast that does more justice to Star Trek than pretty much anything that has come since the original series and definitely since The Wrath of Khan. I think you have inspired more future 3D graphic artists than you could possibly imagine with what you have done to make this mini-movie the absolute jem it is.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    I just watched it over the weekend - basically what Cavebear said - awesome work, well executed.
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    I really liked it as well..I found it really interesting how ya'll integrated Abrams styled ship designs into traditional canon. The effects, writing, FX production was really wonderful.

As far as established canon goes though, wasn't the Constitution Class built primarily as an exploratory vessel vs. a warship?

My only crits:

The flag officer uniforms. They looked a little cheap and weren't tailored adequately.

And considering that period in canon trek verse history how would the producers of such a documentary have managed to get Kharn to do an interview? That part sort of made me go hmmmm...it would have been more believable had Hatch been speaking Klingon with English subtitles and some sort of explanation was offered as to how they got him to talk or even were able to contact him at all. Wouldn't he have been executed by the Hi Command for loosing the war?