Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DFederation Scout

2»

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804607 Posts: 11,186Member
    This is as drastic as it gets. I appreciate the suggestions, though. :)
  • BasillBasill172 Posts: 0Member
    I wasn't sure I was going to fully embrace that, but as I continue to look at your new changes, I think that's kinda cool too. I do still like that fully extended type as well, but this slightly snubbier version certainly gives it some character, especially in close ups angles. And as you intimated, it's not quite that drastic.

Looking really awesome. :)
    Thanks. Dude to the magic of backup files, the longer version does still exist. It's a separate piece, so I could detail it and enter that as a class variant. Though, I don't know if I will. ;)
  • BasillBasill172 Posts: 0Member
    Meh. I've seen a whimsy of it. I am complete. ;)
    That's good, because I'll probably forget about it anyway. :lol:

I worked on a mixed bag of things today. I started on some signage for the ship. I realized that a 4-digit registry number is too low for what I have in mind for this ship, so I gave it a 5-digit number. This is a later ship in the class, not one that was built right after it was designed. Also, I’ve decided this ship is the USS Oberon, a Europa-class starship. Like the Luna-class, I figure all of the ships in this class are named after moons in the Sol system. In fact, since Europa and Oberon are names of Luna-class ships, it’s possible that at least some ships of this class were succeeded by Luna-class ships.

Aside from the name, I also added some pendants to the upper part of the nacelles. I had a pendant done for the underside, but I apparently deleted it and I can’t get it back, so I’ll have to redo that one. I was messing with the RCS thrusters and that must have been when I did that. I haven’t decided where on the nacelles I’m going to add the ship’s registry, though I’m leaning towards the middle of the pendant, like they did on the original Enterprise, the Defiant and Voyager. (and some of the background ships from First Contact) I also added some vents to the warp pylons and added the impulse engines. I was going to have the impulse engines be sunken into the saucer back, but then I realized that there are windows there and that won’t work, so I stuck them onto the back.

tmperashipwip37.jpg?w=500

tmperashipwip38.jpg?w=500

tmperashipwip39.jpg?w=500

tmperashipwip40.jpg?w=500

Then I got a bit sidetracked and started this:

oberondplaquewip01.jpg?w=500

I have all of the pertinent information on there, I just have to add some names. I haven’t decided whose names I’ll add, besides Gene Roddenberry and Majel Barrett (naturally) and myself.
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    Ghehehehe. Nice dedication plaque ;) I imagine that the view from the observation lounge aftward must be awesome :3
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972333 Posts: 1,211Member
    One fine looking ship.
    Thanks guys.

The sad part is, the plaque's polygon count isn't far behind the ship's nacelles' polygon count, due to the lettering. (it will be right up there after I add the names) I spent a while finding a font I liked, I finally settled on one that's similar to what is on the NCC-1701-E and NX-01 plaques. However, it's a very curvy font and has a lot of points, which create verts that turn into a lot of faces when it's extruded.
  • Cool little ship.
    I especially like the design of the narcelles and the pylons.
    ulimann644 wrote: »
    Cool little ship.
    I especially like the design of the narcelles and the pylons.

Thanks Ulrich. I see you're posting over here for a change. ;)
  • He he...
    Yes. I was absent for a long time - since the gallery is down, I guess...

And than IA’ve had completely forgotten this site, since IA’ve found the link to it the last days.

BTW:
    Please donA’t say Ulrich - thatA’s my name but aside from one teacher at the elementary school, all people who knows me says Uli... ;)
    OK, Uli. That's less to type. ;)
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    The sad part is, the plaque's polygon count isn't far behind the ship's nacelles' polygon count, due to the lettering.

When I was messing around with interiors, I made the plaque, did a high-quality render of it, then used that render as a texture on a flat object to create the plaque in the interior image. The result is almost as nice, and renders much more quickly.
    Jenny wrote: »
    When I was messing around with interiors, I made the plaque, did a high-quality render of it, then used that render as a texture on a flat object to create the plaque in the interior image. The result is almost as nice, and renders much more quickly.

That's what I plan to do for the bridge, when I build it.
    Jenny wrote: »

Hmm... Gotta try that. But it's so nice, having a plaque jut out of the wall a bit :3
    More work on the Scout. I added some phasers, but not many. Scouts are typically fast and unarmed or lightly armed vessels. The idea is that they can outrun anything wanting to shoot at them. I’m going to add a single forward-firing torpedo and probe launcher, but I haven’t decided on the placement yet.

Then I finally got around to finishing the bussard collectors. Since we have no idea what’s really supposed to be inside these things other than lights behind frosted glass, I just did what I felt like. Then the blue part of the nacelle had to be rebuilt completely because it was a mess, so that’s what I’ve been doing. It wasn’t fun, but it was necessary and it’s a lot better now. I also added internals for that, but I think I have to play a bit with the transparency and glows in that section.

tmperashipwip41.jpg?w=500

tmperashipwip42.jpg?w=500

tmperashipwip43.jpg?w=500

tmperashipwip44.jpg?w=500
    Yeah, I'm digging this very much. Perhaps you could make the aft end of the saucer bulge down instead of letting it end so abruptly like it does now? Creates a bit of a more finished look instead of *Hey guys, we know you're building a little ship, so here, take this cut off saucer we had lying around from a pwned ship!*

In relation to the colors on the nacelles: maybe darken them just a little bit? They really burst out right now...
    They'll look fine once lit up and the ship is put out into space.

I really like those bussards. Awesome work.
    Thanks guys. :) The colors are definitely temporary. Right now, the ship is in very bright lighting to show the parts as I model them. What I always do before I finish a ship is I do lighting tests where I render the ship in the dark with only self illumination lighting it. At that point, I'll tweak things like engine glow colors.
    BorgMan wrote: »
    Perhaps you could make the aft end of the saucer bulge down instead of letting it end so abruptly like it does now? Creates a bit of a more finished look instead of *Hey guys, we know you're building a little ship, so here, take this cut off saucer we had lying around from a pwned ship!*

Which ship did they use? (Before you answer, I've never seen a ship with a saucer like this one. ;))

Seriously, it's too late in the game for me to be making that kind of change. The main "body" of the saucer is done, I'm at the point where I'm adding stuff to it now. For me to make a structural change where it doesn't look like crap, I'd have to build that part over, which I'm no doing. Besides, I have windows back there right behind the saucer, they would likely be affected by such a change.
    Carolina's saucer? :shiner:

Ah, yes, now that you mention it, the windows are a bit in the way :3
    Thanks guys. :) The colors are definitely temporary. Right now, the ship is in very bright lighting to show the parts as I model them. What I always do before I finish a ship is I do lighting tests where I render the ship in the dark with only self illumination lighting it. At that point, I'll tweak things like engine glow colors.

That's a cool idea.
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    This little guy is pretty cool. The only thing I'm personally not a fan of is this crazy gridline:
    tmperashipwip41.jpg

Great work either way. :thumb:
    105469.jpg
    Schimpfy wrote: »
    This little guy is pretty cool. The only thing I'm personally not a fan of is this crazy gridline:

Yeah, I went a bit nutty with that. ;)