Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

AnimationStar Wars Action wip#1

RandalRRandalR0 Posts: 0Member
edited December 2013 in Work in Progress #1
Hello all.

Been afk fer a while and have begun another video.

I began just trying to create a certain space BG and could only find images that were similar,
but I lack the know how and Exp. to create what I can imagine.

Any how, I thought I would organize my Star Wars models and look at some of them.
Well, like Chocolate and Peanut Butter they began to come together.

Tried a few shots, then I made 3 really good shots and I wanted more.... So, this may be just the beginning...

Note: The upload is highly Contrasted and on final clip it renders unviewable the Planet Ring beneath the X-Wing formation. may try and re-render that since YouTube compress hides it.

WIP VIDEO #1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyzYkTpMg3U&feature=youtu.be
104106.jpg
Post edited by RandalR on
Tagged:

• raytridiraytridi0 Posts: 0Member
    Good job. I enjoyed watching.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    nice to see you back working on animations, at the start it seemed like a cgi prelude sequence to the start of episode IV but from the x wing clips i'm guessing it's currently just a collection of test clips. at certain points the imagery looks very good and the motion is kind of nice but at some points the relative motion of camera and subjects creates visual confusion even though technically accurate, it's a mistake i have made many times myself and not always apparent until final rendering. as for models the ones here seem much poorer than those you used in the galactica stuff, the corvette has this unpleasant quality about it where one can see all the lines making up it's geometry as clearly as if it were in sketchup with edges turned on(the grid effect on it's surface is also noticable, if this whole surface is one mapped texture just edit the image to remove the grid blobs/lines and replace them with a sort of metal texture. nice weathering on the bow texture by the way). the x wing sequence has good composition but once again the models are a bit nasty(once again if these models have a main texture image mapped over them expand the image by a factor of 3 or 4 in a photo editing program and add higher detail metal and dirt into the gaps between key details, otherwise add more key detail and a higher res tiled texture). engines could do with brighter glare but of a kind that blends into the rest of the image a bit more rather than dropping off very quickly away from the engine plumes, that said the glare on the y wing is nicely coloured. well done on motion at the end, nice curving paths and smooth movement of parts. laser beams once again suffer issues with their glare, i'm really one for going a bit jj abrams on them but one way or another they need a bolder green and a much brighter glow(look at original fotage or many other render on here for that), i could advise on the blender way to get these effects but with no knowledge of what c4d is like to use they may be quite irrelevant to you. good to see larger swarms of craft such as the TIE fighters near the end, youtube compression is highly annoying. it led to one of my early (atleast 100 pixels on one of the dimensions) showing as a pixelated 360p video.

p.s. at that speed you star destroyers are going to need some huge thrusting to slow down...
    as a thought you may wish to try star wars with realistic space combat motions and ships that must bleed heat out by radiators between firing of main guns.
  • RandalRRandalR0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks for your replies.

And I thought these models look pretty good... :D

One thing is yes, I have tried and experimented with all that I can muster to make a better laser.
    Best I can really do is emit a meshed material with glow and some motion blur.
    Have tried using shaped lights, flares, just cannot figure out a better way in C4d. (yet)

As for the models, they are as is, except the ISD needed some mesh removed.
    I may tinker or toy with the materials in the future. CUZ Yeah, that crap on the corvette bothers me too.
    I had a heck uva time trying to get most of it looking right.Yeah some of the Galactica stuff I have been steadily improving over time, but I am just sinking into some more SW's.

Alas mate, it is all in learning and enjoying...

Regards,
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    in blender i do lasers by just making a cylindrical beam of slightly transparent very bright glowing material. i set up lens flare and "fog glow" effects in compositor and just keyframe the length and position of beams. i do constant gun to target beams which do not move like lasers in star wars but you could achieve this effect just by keyframing multiple times along the axis of the laser beam cylinder. IF c4d behaves like blender in this rrespect.