Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DU.S.S. Balmung, Again

• MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9920 Posts: 5,337Member
    Guess what!

I found more things I hate about 2013. Turning edges in nitrous is a bloody pointless effort. I dunno what the hell they did but it is a mess, basically there is no way for me to turn edges that are causing surface errors. SO I have to go in revert to dx whatever restart max fool with the edges and go back into nitrous. (dx is buggy as hell since they have not done anything with it since 2010.) Only other option since I am not sure if the bad edges will stay in the direction I want, is to close all edges. Which really sucks since I have not had to do that sort of modeling in YEARS like since 2004?
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    Needless to say I forgot to clone of fa copy of the old material so I have borked up the basic material for the other bits of the hull. I doubt I want to go about cutting up all the rest of these bits to apply the same patterns as on the saucer. I think I have something that will sort of work but I have to get the aniso back into shape.

Gotta love that glare lens shader in 2013. . . . works when ever the hell it decides it wants to.

I really need to get cracking ans speed up, been rather slow and plodding of late.
    Eh I dunno think I have just been a lazy slob.

Added in those grill heatsink things. On the original I think it was more like vents, but the Ambassador they were fins and well given how close the ceiling for the shuttle bay inset (ceiling area where the obs room is) and the ceiling for the shuttle command and obs rooms are, having vents there wouldnt make much sense but radiators or some such for comms or other shuttle related things might.
    Transporter emitters, these are likely not going to stay on that deck. Most likely they will shift down onto the saucer. They will however remain modular, meaning they will not conform to areas or do other whacky things. I am however considering redoing them since maybe my interpretation here is a bit off. Since they are decals on the physical models maybe they are meant to be flat stencil like items on the hulls of the ships that do conform to the hull. I will keep them as something that stands proud of the hull but maybe go a bit sleeker than the lumpy things I have now. Dunno. Have to spend more time not modeling and looking up ref images to know what I will do in the end.

Those white things whatever they are might need some, stuff on. I might also remove the inner set for some other detail junk here. That C deck will be getting a large mess hall or lounge room so the lighting from that will spill onto these details. I also have to fix that damned panel line on that C deck too. Of note as well that white border on the saucer panels is likely to get all those gaps bridged and a panel line around it similar to the upper A,B,and C decks vs having the grids slam right into that shuttle deck (D&E) More rubbish busy work.

Noticed I sort of jerked up the lifeboats as I left too small of a space for pod #s. I need to see if max can do the pod #s like McC did for his Ambassador pods, it would be nice to do vs a mess of 0s and 8s to fake it. I loath texturing and scripting so it might not happen heh.

note2, notice the stupid glare shader is working again. Go fig. . . . image 2 it decides to not work again. . . . well image 1 for guys on SFM since it always lists the images backwards.

HAH the one time I say that and it does not. . . .
    updates before the site goes again. :p

The aft deck above the bay is getting cluttered so things will get pushed around and removed/replaced tomorrow. If I work on those bits.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    nice work. As always.
    Took a bit of a break to fail at drawing some now I decided to take a break from that to come back and work on this again. HAH
    Anyhow taking more breaks I am moving from the saucer to these, the bussards. I planned to goof around with the secondary hull instead but the caps on the nacelles are really bugging me. It is mostly the curvature in the top down view. While I thought the tapering of it would look sleeker it just looks like bad modeling to me now, EXP with that inset modeled into it. Needless to say I might end up junking the entire nacelle. I do not have any plans to alter the profiles just that top down curve. The other issue I have is the way the "cap" joins the nacelle body hence why I might junk it all.

Last renders showing something I am mucking with. I am not sue if that band will excelsior or not. If I do it would have a separation in the glows so the coils (gold pars on the Ambassador and Galaxy) would be behind the grill. If not it will be similar to what I had. One thing I am debating on is if the fronts should be squared off as they are in the sample renders or angled to match up with the cap backside, front scoop, and neck of the ship. A lot of the things like the crest will be adjusted to better match the new shapes. BUT I think this inverted cap is the way I will go with the nacelles. Clearly I need to realign the struts.
    A few more refinements. About to start collapsing things and getting stuff back to where it was.
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    I'm not sure about the design itself. At this point it doesn't look like the Ambassador Saucer is a good fit with the Secondary hull...especially from the rear view.

I think the pluses here is how well the nacelles match with the Ambassador Suacer. I always thought Ambassasor was too dated-looking. with hose nacelles These look far more interesting but the Excelsior -esque look always appeals to my eye.

Also this dual color deflector is extremely interesting. In fact I love it.
    And...that inset dome on the lower saucer...very interesting...I like these unique aspects.
    Nacelle has guts now and unfuked materials. Might have goofed on the grills, as they kind of mush up at a distance. Also noodling around with the aft cargo bay doors. One is a return to the original layout with divided doors. The other is a more classic clam shell door Which I am leaning towards ATM. It is all a bit rough. It will retain the large landing deck of the original no matter what.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    That deflector is my fave part of this design too. Also agree that I'm not sure how well the saucer matches the secondary hull, but liking where the nacelles are going.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1188 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,629Member
    Yeah, I always enjoy your nacelle designs... you always manage to make things work well visually.
    Mess of random stuff from earlier on before I passed out on the couch. lol, what a way to start the weekend.
    Poop chute.
    Managed to squeeze in another tube. Replaced the elements themselves and built up new targeting doodads and whatnots.
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972333 Posts: 1,211Member
    Looking fantastic.
  • slybrarianslybrarian68 Posts: 49Member
    Great work on those aft torpedoes, they really fit the TMP Enterprise look. As for the shuttle bay, I definitely prefer the clamshell. It makes for a good transition between eras to have it and the saucer bay, and its much more practical than the split design which prevents the ship from bringing anything larger than a standard shuttle aboard.
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    I like it but the tubes likely should have looked more like Excelsior aft tubes.
    There is a visceral quality to the Constitution Refit tubes. Enigma uses them two. Time permitting I would chose something more streamlined to the 24th century.
    nice work on the tubes.
    Today's update, well for now, is me goofing with the hull object, looking at different ways to approach the struts.
    Cargo bay, just did the same layout I had in the old one.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Really loving those shuttles, especially the way you have their nacelles match those of the mothership. Shuttle bay and cargo bay looking sweet too.

:thumb:
  • lennier1lennier1918 Posts: 1,286Member
    Great progress!
    The spine feels like it's still missing something. Right now it's just there in the middle without anything tying it to the rest of the ship.
    Well, he just started rehauling the design... He'll work on it.
    Well I was suppose to work on the upper hull today and all I ended up doing is futzing with the stupid clam shell.
    NO I dunno what the squares are, max fuking up again? heh.
    glitch, probably?

the views are so magnificent that the small squares are barely noticeable.
    It is something to do with the renderer you can see them in some of the other internal renders.

Upper hull is collapsed obviously as I have started detailing bits. What I am not sure on atm is welding and rounding in the upper to the lower hull. The blue stuff on the upper is just to define possible plating layout. I plan to retain details seen in the original model, but I might do some things differently.
  • xumucanexumucane0 Posts: 0Member
    Looking great. Really liking that impulse engine glow. Super-nice.
  • lennier1lennier1918 Posts: 1,286Member
    Much better with those clamps in place around the spine.
    This way it seems like an isolated module that could be replaced in drydock during an upgrade cycle (kinda like the warp sled and the engineering compartment on the Akiraprise was designed to do). After all, the torpedo launcher is basically just one freaking huge coilgun that speeds up the casing until its own engines can kick in outside the ship.
  • tobiantobian226 Posts: 1,600Member
    Very nice updates. I particularly like your glow effect shaders too! :) and yes I also like the deflector dish design, unusual.
    Ok, back at it. Might have been a waste of an hour but the upper hull lower hull and neck are all merged in and rounded off. It is though a mess of separate objects.
  • slybrarianslybrarian68 Posts: 49Member
    Huh. For a moment there I thought those torpedo tubes had slide-over covers, but now I realize those are solid and probably for greebles.