Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek (The Complete Voyages)

uniderthuniderth1 Posts: 0Member
edited November 2013 in Work in Progress #1
Several years ago thought it would be cool if there was a new Star Trek TV series that started with this first five year voyage of Captain April. It would then have shown the two five year voyages of Captain Pike. After that the series would have merged into the original Star Trek. The first season of this voyage would have included the Episode "Where No Man Has Gone Before." Then the next three season would have been the three seasons of the original Star Trek. Then there would have been another season after this which would have included most of the Animated Series, but live action. Following this would have been the movie Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Then for the final five year voyage we would have Seen Captain Kirk and his crew once again in Star Trek: Phase II.

Here's a rundown of the seasons of Star Trek:

Star Trek Season 1 - April
Star Trek Season 2 - April
Star Trek Season 3 - April
Star Trek Season 4 - April
Star Trek Season 5 - April

Star Trek Season 6 - Pike: The Cage
Star Trek Season 7 - Pike
Star Trek Season 8 - Pike
Star Trek Season 9 - Pike
Star Trek Season 10 - Pike

Star Trek Season 11 - Pike
Star Trek Season 12 - Pike
Star Trek Season 13 - Pike
Star Trek Season 14 - Pike
Star Trek Season 15 - Pike

Star Trek Season 16 - Kirk: Where No Man Has Gone Before
Star Trek Season 17 - Kirk: (Season 1)
Star Trek Season 18 - Kirk: (Season 2)
Star Trek Season 19 - Kirk: (Season 3)
Star Trek Season 20 - Kirk: (The Animated Series)

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Star Trek: Phase II Season 1 - Kirk
Star Trek: Phase II Season 2 - Kirk
Star Trek: Phase II Season 3 - Kirk
Star Trek: Phase II Season 4 - Kirk
Star Trek: Phase II Season 5 - Kirk

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

So to start this 3D WIP thread, we have a tricorder from Captain April's era(Seasons 1-5).

148f8yp.png

The "top" of the tricorder is the side facing forward. That's why the hood for the screen looks upside down.

This is what it looks like actually using the thing. I think I might make the switches a bit bigger.

wjcaky.png
103841.png
Post edited by uniderth on
Tagged:

• uniderthuniderth1 Posts: 0Member
    Here we have a tricorder update. I've also started on the April era laser pistol.
    103726.png103730.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Cool project. I really like the tricorder so far. The other bit looks good too, though it will be easier to tell for sure once it starts looking more pistol-ish. ;)
    Thanks evil_genius.

Tricorder panel has knobs, speaker, and access door. I'm thinking this tricorder would get used from Season 1 through about Season 7ish. The Cage would have occurred during Season 6. So even though it wasn't shown this would have been the tricorder during that episode. I'm sure we can retcon an idea why it wasn't used. Maybe the Talosians affected our minds.

Also I have the grip and body of the Laser Pistol. I'm thinking this pistol would get limited use maybe one or two seasons. The main reason is that because The Cage happens in seasons 6 and I have an interim idea between the The Cage pistol and this pistol.
    103743.png103744.png103745.png
    It's true, nobody used a tricorder that I can remember in The Cage. ;) (I watched it again last month)

I'm liking it a lot. The pistol is coming along nicely too.
    I don't know if you noticed but the knobs of the tricorder have little lightning bolts on them. I based them on some 1940's radio knobs. Also the speaker is based on a 1940's radio.
    No, I didn't notice that until you said something. It's hard to see at that resolution. ;)
    I modeled the access door on the tricorder. It does open, so I have to figure out what sort of stuff to put in there. I also modeled the strap attachment points.
    103765.png103766.jpg
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Nice work, tho I must admit, I'm am surprised that Pike was captain for so long... I take it you're going according to the service numbers given? April from 2245 to 2250, Pike from 2251 to 2262 (in that case Pike should have 11 seasons, not 10).
    Nifty idea though to put Phase 2 as a separate season between TMP and the rest. As it as supposed to be.
    Tho this all is rather odd: according to Admiral Morrow in ST3, the Enterprise was 20 years old by 2285, which in turn would make the whole concept bogus anyway. If ST2 happened just prior, the same year, and TMP happened the year before, or let's put it into 2280, the refit from 2272 still allows for Phase2 to take place. Scotty said that she's been in dock for 2 and a half years just at the start of TMP, in 2272, so going by her docking order in 2270, would still give it 5 years (which we know was the first 5-year mission), so Pike and April were obviously not counted by Morrow (for whichever reasons)...
    Pike was supposed to have done back-to-back 5-year missions, but they don't necessarily have to be exactly back-to-back. The ship was probably refitted during the interim between missions, as it would have been through a lot in 5 years. That could account for the "extra" year, and also why his mission doesn't start right after April's, as there would have likely been a refit then as well. What I don't get is the 2-3 years between Pike and Kirk. We know that the ship got an extensive refit after WNMHGB, but that would be included in his five year mission. The only thing I can come up with is maybe WNMHGB was a mission that took place before the actual start of his 5-year mission. After all, there's no opening narrative saying it's part of the 5-year mission.

Great work on the sling attachment thing. :thumb:
    evil_genius I think it was on your blog that I read about how Star Trek should have taken place during the 22nd century based on comments made during the series. That got me wondering if there is any fudge room to move Star Trek a few decades earlier to make it fit better. That's why I've been hesitant to put any dates on the seasons. Also doing some research I found that there is not solid information putting the Enterprise's launch in 2245. So I think we can just eliminate those two extra years between Pike and Kirk. But overall I would hope we could move Star Trek forward at least forty years forward putting the launch date as 2207, and Kirk's mission in the 2220s.

I don't think I mentioned it but I think we could frame Morrow's comments as pertaining to a major refit after WNMHGB. My idea would pull WNMHGB out of Season 17(Season 1) and put it in as the finale for Season 16. That would open a slot for an additional episode in Season 17. This episode could include the relauch of the enterprise after a refit. This would explain the difference in the look of the ship between the second pilot and regular series. This would also account for the increase in crew compliment from 204 to 430. Someone could even make a comment that it's essentially a totally new Enterprise. That way Morrow's comment could work and doesn't have to be dismissed.

Anyway, while I'm figuring out how to rig the tricorder I've done a bit more work on the Laser Pistol. I've added a little metal fin with a flip up sight on the back. My hope was to give it a sort of 1950's scifi look, but I'm not sure I like it that way it is now. I've also worked on the textures of the metal discs. I'm trying to get them to look like they came out of a prop department's machine shop.

Also I started roughing out Captain Pike's bridge during "The Cage." I though this would be a good starting point, then I could reverse engineer it into April's bridge.

P.S. I forgot to mention that I'm tempted to trash my tricorder and retcon the device one member of the landing party is carrying on "The Cage" as a tricorder.
    103826.jpg103828.png
    The pistol looks good. Also, nice start on the bridge. It's hard to say if anybody on the landing team is supposed to be carrying a tricorder or not. Though, I like yours and it would be a shame to waste that work.

Yeah, the date thing was on my blog. I think the 2245 launch date is a non-canon thing that was "decided" to give the previous captains enough time to command the ship before Kirk. Still, if April did one five year mission and Pike did two, there are about four to five years unaccounted for. This is (I think) one of the reasons Gene Roddenberry avoided the question of when stuff took place for a long time. Though, with TNG and the later films, they pretty much set when it took place and that's where dates got wacky.

I pretty much ignore Morrow's comment about the Enterprise being twenty years old in ST3, because it can't possibly be. If TWOK takes place fifteen years after Space Seed, (which the "dates" suggest otherwise :p) and Pike definitely commanded the ship before Kirk, there's no way the ship is only twenty years old. Plus, April was established as the Enerprise's first captain in the animated version of Star Trek. Even the refit wasn't twenty years old, it was only fifteen years old. So, I take that comment as what it is, a writing mistake. Someone probably wrote that taking into account Kirk's five-year mission and adding the fifteen years that both Khan and Kirk claim passed between Space Seed and TWOK. Obviously, that writer knew nothing about Pike or April.
    Well it seems Voyager has squashed my attempts at altering the timeline. The Episode Q2 clearly states that Kirk's five year mission ended in 2270. So that ends that.

Did some more work on the pistol. I finished the grip. Like the tricorder it also has a rubberized ribbed grip for your pleasure..uh.. I mean, comfort. I'm going to make this available in two colored grips: black and silver. I imagine both being used at the same time for no apparent reason like many Star trek props were.

The modelling for the pistol is almost done. I need to model the power pack, the settings knob, power pack release button, sight catch release, and maybe a safety. Then on to texturing this puppy.
    103840.png103839.png103841.png
    Yeah, it's "canon," so I guess you have to stick with that. :rolleyes: I guess that puts Kirk's mission from 2265 to 2270, twenty years after the (unofficial) launch year of the ship. That would likely mean that 1. April captained the ship for 10 years or 2. Pike captained it for 15. Though, Pike commanding it for that long seems unlikely, since Commodore Mendez stated in The Menagerie that Pike was "about" Kirk's age. (of course, that in itself is problematic, given that Pike was clearly already older than Kirk when the ship visited Talos IV and the mission took place 11 years before the episode, but Mendez also said "about," which offers some leeway and he may have been being nice to Pike, given his situation) Boy, trying to figure out when this crap supposedly took place is a headache, isn't it? Especially given that the scripts of the episodes and movies often contradict each other. At least things settled down in the TNG-era, which gives clear dates on many occasions.

Anywho, the phaser is looking good. Ribbed-- for her pleasure. (sorry, it had to be said :p)