Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMy original Lightsaber designs

Hunter GHunter G1905 Posts: 543Member
edited October 2013 in Work in Progress #1
I'm taking a break from my Enterprise model to give you some lightsabers!

lightsaber%201.png
lightsaber%202.png
lightsaber%203.png
lightsaber%204.png

I have lots more on the way, so stay tuned!
103575.jpg
Post edited by Hunter G on
Tagged:

• colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    they seem very sw generic
  • Hunter GHunter G1905 Posts: 543Member
    Sweet. :)
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I really like the third and fourth hilts. In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing some other angles on those, maybe a bit closer and without the glows. (I'm a lightsaber enthusiast also) The first two are good, but they've very reminiscent of Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon's lightsabers from episode 1, as well as a few of the background hilts from the prequel trilogy. (as colbmista said, "Star Wars generic") Also, they're reminiscent of a couple of the ParksSabers hilts. I really like the way you did the blades, but remember there are more colors of Adegan crystals than just blue and green, even though those and purple are all the Jedi used in the movies. Some of the games and books/comics have yellow, orange, cyan and silver, among others.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    tactically absurd(that man with the crossbow can shoot you before you can strike him!), but great renders. awesome glow effects and cool metal texture, the shapes of those handles could be used for all kinds of sci fi parts and look excellent. and great composition to the pics, with a nice background.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    That's kinda the whole point though Spacefighter, that to anyone less than a Jedi it would be a pointless weapon, but in the hands of a Jedi it becomes something formidable even when faced with blasters or projectile slinging weapons.

Hunter G, have to agree with everyone's comments so far, first two a bit like what we've seen before, I personally don't like the 3rd one so much, but the 4th one definitely has legs, like where that one is going. Looking forward to seeing the others you come up with.
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    That's kinda the whole point though Spacefighter, that to anyone less than a Jedi it would be a pointless weapon, but in the hands of a Jedi it becomes something formidable even when faced with blasters or projectile slinging weapons.
    even if a jedi could get his light saber into place fast enough to catch the projectile in flight the projectile, if going fast enough, would probably pass through the beam before the light beam/plasma could transfer enough energy to it to melt the projectile. now if you had a wonder power source you could increase the energy of the beam and at some point the beam may be hot enough to destroy projectiles, but i would bet a fair bit of money that at the temperature required it would radiate enough heat outwards to kill the jedi within seconds of turning it on. if the attacker used a laser instead of projectiles then a "light" saber based on a laser would have no effect on the beam(on the quantum level photons do not interact with other photons), if the saber was a "stick" of plasma it could absorb the laser shot but then the attacker would just use a frequency of laser beam with a photon energy that did not correspond to any of the absorbtion levels in the light saber's beam.

anyway hunter g:
    the green ones do look slightly better, because of the way the human eye perceives colour they appear brighter. what did you render with and what settings were used.
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    even if a jedi could get his light saber into place fast enough to catch the projectile in flight the projectile, if going fast enough, would probably pass through the beam before the light beam/plasma could transfer enough energy to it to melt the projectile. now if you had a wonder power source you could increase the energy of the beam and at some point the beam may be hot enough to destroy projectiles, but i would bet a fair bit of money that at the temperature required it would radiate enough heat outwards to kill the jedi within seconds of turning it on. if the attacker used a laser instead of projectiles then a "light" saber based on a laser would have no effect on the beam(on the quantum level photons do not interact with other photons), if the saber was a "stick" of plasma it could absorb the laser shot but then the attacker would just use a frequency of laser beam with a photon energy that did not correspond to any of the absorbtion levels in the light saber's beam.

anyway hunter g:
    the green ones do look slightly better, because of the way the human eye perceives colour they appear brighter. what did you render with and what settings were used.

p6vx9_zpsdc2fbf5f.jpg
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
    oldmangreg wrote: »
    p6vx9_zpsdc2fbf5f.jpg

the technology may not exist but:
    "you cannae break the laws of physics captain!"

lol
  • ZeropointZeropoint0 Posts: 0Member
    You're going to wave the "real physics" flag to complain about Star Wars, and lightsabers are your first target? :lol:
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    It is a fool's errand to try and apply real world physics to a lightsaber, or pretty much anything in the Star Wars universe as it doesn't take place in the real world, it is science fiction, or in fact in this case science fantasy, so real world rules don't really apply as it is a fictional world. Plus, we really don't know enough about what a lightsaber is to make viable comparisons with today's lasers, or particle beams, photon physics and the like. It is like the fact that at first sci-fi would consider the guns in Star Wars to be laser guns, until it was realized that the bolts fired from these weapons didn't behave in the way that a laser would, and then it became explained as being a blaster weapon that fired bolts of energy enveloped in plasma. In a similar fashion Star Wars' Proton Torpedoes and Star Trek's Photon Torpedoes had the fact that though they were solid projectile torpedo weapons the fact they glowed when fired was explained away that these too were enveloped in some form of plasma.

At the end of the day with a fictional universe you have to take the events seen in that universe as read, and then if you absolutely have to apply real world physics to the technology, then you use it to try and explain how these fantastical devices could theoretically operate. A good example of this was recently linked to in the Shield Hellicarrier thread, where a physicist took on explaining how Tony Stark's Arc Reactor might work, and even with all his knowledge at a certain point he had to bow to comic book physics to explain certain factors which could not be dealt with via real world physics.

Anyhow, back to the lightsaber. What is the blade made of? It certainly isn't just made of light, unlikely to be plasma as we know it due to heat issues, isn't a laser as we know it. Most likely it is some form of energy field currently unknown to us. The user of a lightsaber doesn't seem to be exposed to radiation emmissions or excessive heat, but the blade is highly destructive in a tightly localised area around the blade as it can deflect blaster bolts, cut through most things other than other lightsaber blades or certain energy fields. Does emanate heat within this highly localised area around the blade as lightsaber wounds are usually corterised, also when plunged into a heavy blast door it agitated the molecules in the door enough to superheat the door around the blade enough to turn the metal molten. So these things need to be taken into account, and then on this evidence you must put forward hypotheses on what a lightsaber could be.

Right, back to the thread topic, let's see some more lightsabers.

:thumb:

(heh, looks like I was beaten to it :lol:)
    Amen. It's called Science Fiction for a reason! Although, it is fun to speculate how things would work, by coming up with fictional components.

Anyway, here are some articles on lightsabers that are very helpful:
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber
    http://scifi.about.com/od/starwarsglossaryandfaq/a/SWAR_glossary_lightsaber.html
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber_crystal

I also have four more sabers on the way, which are all more unique than the first ones. ;)
    While I'm at it, here are all four without textures. (To save rendering time)
    103590.png
    They look good. :)
    Hunter G wrote: »
    Amen. It's called Science Fiction for a reason!

Exactly.
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    p6vx9_zpsdc2fbf5f.jpg

He's mostly correct. Light doesn't interact with light in any measurable way in QED. That was an essential revelation by Einstein. Nothing wrong with exploring the facts that do matter verse fiction that doesn't.
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    Saquist wrote: »
    He's mostly correct. Light doesn't interact with light in any measurable way in QED. That was an essential revelation by Einstein. Nothing wrong with exploring the facts that do matter verse fiction that doesn't.

Except that it's not relevant to the discussion, Saquist.

It doesn't MATTER how light works ... we have the film canon for how a lightSABER works. It cuts through most anything, though with varying degrees of effort needed (see Vader's shoulder-pad in Empire). It cannot cut through another saber-blade. It can deflect energy bolts be they laser, plasma, or some combination of both. It can absorb psychic lightning. And it makes a REAL keen noise when activated and used.

How does a lightsaber do these things??!? Who cares? Part of the genius of Star Wars is that it DOESN'T suffer from Star Trek's obsessive need to explain how everything works. Hyperdrive? It's a box on the back of the ship that makes it go faster than light. How much faster? Fast enough. Blasters--are they lasers ("turbo lasers") or something else? Well, they have recoil so laser is out ... :)

And now I shall end my rant with ... cool sabers! Yes, the first two are a bit generic and multi-colored blades ARE fun (though anything but blue, red, green, and a single, solitary purple are game and novel only) and I'd love to see a Corran Horn silver one ... but these are still lovely.

Keep up the good work!
    Sanderlee wrote: »
    Except that it's not relevant to the discussion, Saquist.

It doesn't MATTER how light works ... we have the film canon for how a lightSABER works. It cuts through most anything, though with varying degrees of effort needed (see Vader's shoulder-pad in Empire). It cannot cut through another saber-blade. It can deflect energy bolts be they laser, plasma, or some combination of both. It can absorb psychic lightning. And it makes a REAL keen noise when activated and used.

How does a lightsaber do these things??!? Who cares? Part of the genius of Star Wars is that it DOESN'T suffer from Star Trek's obsessive need to explain how everything works. Hyperdrive? It's a box on the back of the ship that makes it go faster than light. How much faster? Fast enough. Blasters--are they lasers ("turbo lasers") or something else? Well, they have recoil so laser is out ... :)

And now I shall end my rant with ... cool sabers! Yes, the first two are a bit generic and multi-colored blades ARE fun (though anything but blue, red, green, and a single, solitary purple are game and novel only) and I'd love to see a Corran Horn silver one ... but these are still lovely.

Keep up the good work!

Exactly.
    Remember, this is an art forum, not a science forum. :rolleyes: Nobody cares how light really works in this context, Hunter G is making art based off of what was done in a fiction movie.
    Remember, this is an art forum, not a science forum. :rolleyes: Nobody cares how light really works in this context, Hunter G is making art based off of what was done in a fiction movie.

Well put.

Although I would like to point out to everyone that lightsabers are made of pure energy. All we know is that that energy is some kind of really powerful plasma that we don't know anything about. The only reason they're called "light" sabers is because they glow. I thought that would be obvious. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm working on number 5 right now. :)
    BTW, I changed the colors of lightsabers 1 and 2. ;)
  • ZeropointZeropoint0 Posts: 0Member
    lightsabers are made of pure energy. All we know is that that energy is some kind of really powerful plasma

I hate to nitpick . . . no, wait, I actually kind of like it . . . but:

1) Plasma is matter, not "pure energy".
    2) The only thing I'm aware of that would qualify as "pure energy", i.e. energy not affiliated with any matter, would be electromagnetic radiation, AKA light.
    3) We don't know WHAT lightsabers are, because their behavior doesn't match any known substance, process, or phenomenon.
    How about we end technological conversations and agree lightsabers are badass?
    How about we end technological conversations and agree lightsabers are badass?

Agreed. :D
    Agreed. :D

Here here!

Here are two more Lightsabers. :)

lightsaber%205.png
    lightsaber%206.png
    Those are pretty cool. Though, out of curiosity, why do your activator buttons glow? Also, have you thought of doing different materials on some of the hilts? I mean, the worn brushed metal look is cool, but not all lightsabers are necessarily finished that way. Constructing a lightsaber is a deeply personal experience with Jedi and the hilt style often depicts the individual's personality. The same can be said for Sith who actually build their own 'sabers.
    yeah do some granite like textures or even petrofied wood or use some leather or even use crystal
    I will do some other textures on later ones. The main reason I haven't yet, is because I haven't figured out how to do any cool ones yet. The red one was supposed to be a white, plastic looking material, but I gave up. :/

Plus In the series these are for, lightsabers are more uniform. They're mostly made out of the same material anyway, but they are still very personal. The Jedi chooses from an endless list of parts, and he/she can add whatever else they want if they choose. Most of them just leave it.

When I come up with a design, I first think about the style of lightsaber combat the wielder will use, then I base it off how it will be held. ;)
    I see what you're saying about the hilt designs and materials. I guess that's slightly better than making them go and find stuff to build their lightsabers. Though, personally, I've always preferred the Sith way of doing things.

"Here, you're powerful enough, here's a lightsaber." ;)
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    I see what you're saying about the hilt designs and materials. I guess that's slightly better than making them go and find stuff to build their lightsabers. Though, personally, I've always preferred the Sith way of doing things.

"Here, you're powerful enough, here's a lightsaber." ;)

You forgot the second half of that statement.

"Here, you're powerful enough, here's a lightsaber. Wait a moment. What are you doing? Put that AWAY ...!!"
    <snap-fwsssssh>

And the cool sabers continue. I liked the Count Dooku homage there with the bent one. :)
    do you model the internal parts as well?