Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DEnterprise Orbiting

evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
edited November 2013 in Finished Work #1
I recently completed a new Enterprise model. This is actually the first ship model I've completed (with textures) since I switched from TrueSpace to Lightwave. So, it was picture time. I found a really sweet tutorial for making planets in GIMP, so I decided to do a couple TOS-style orbital shots.

conniegporbit01a.jpg?w=500

conniegporbit01b.jpg?w=500
103491.jpg
Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
Tagged:

• RekkertRekkert4126 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,314Member
    Been following this one on your blog, you did a great job with her!
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Thanks. :D
  • raytridiraytridi0 Posts: 0Member
    Good working. I liked it.
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Very nice work! :thumb:
    Thanks guys. :D
    I love football. Just to be clear, that’s what we Americans call football (where you use your hands more than your feet) and not what the rest of the world calls football (where you actually do use your feet.) Thus, I was watching a game on TV earlier and I had my tablet out. I was looking at my green planet renders on there and I noticed that the underside of the Enterprise’s saucer looked too dark, much more so than on my desktop monitor. Now, I’ve known for a long time that I have a bright monitor, but it’s amazing how different it is than the tablet. Both are LCD screens, both made by Samsung and both are running on Nvidia graphics. So, I decided to alter the lighting slightly and render them again. This meant flipping and moving my 2D planet(s) slightly, but that’s not a big deal. I have those saved as GIMP .xcf files, which is a vector graphics file format. So, I made minor alterations and here they are. I’m happier with the lighting on the ship now. :D

conniegporbit02a1.jpg?w=500

conniegporbit02b1.jpg?w=500
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    There was a time I didn't like TOS, despised it for its poor performance.
    Over time, I came to realise the nostalgia and importance of it...

wonderful work!
  • trekkitrekki953 Posts: 1,407Member
    Fine object, i love the old "E".
    Have you a Pic from the Planet ? Is this a Texture ?

Greetings
    Thanks guys. :D

@trekki: the planet is basically a textured disk with atmosphere and shading added, done entirely in GIMP. This is the tutorial that I (mostly) followed:

http://mygimptutorial.com/the-ultimate-gimp-planet-tutorial

Though, I did modify a few things. For one thing, I didn't care for how that person did the clouds, so I did some using the Plasma filter and desaturation, brightness/contrast, etc. Once you get down to it, the whole thing is a really simple process, but time consuming. No more so than doing a planet in 3D, though, which I've never had any success doing.
    Aresius wrote: »
    There was a time I didn't like TOS, despised it for its poor performance.
    Over time, I came to realise the nostalgia and importance of it...

Yeah, but there are some episodes that are just so bad that I can't even stand to watch them. Though, I can say that for most TV series. ;) However, overall, it's a great series. My favorite is still TNG, though. That was on TV when I was a kid, while TOS was being show less, so I saw more TNG.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    good renders and great job on the planet(though a green and habitable climate requires oceans). i like the model and angles (for an enterprise) but their seems to be a severe lack of hull detail, for example the metal on the underside of the saucer is good but it needs some panel lines or greebles added.
    You do realize I modeled the ship pretty much as it appeared on the TV series, right? If I wanted to ignore what they did back then and add detail, I might as well have completely redesigned the thing.

As for the planet, that method is still a work in progress. Adding water is on my "to do" list. For now, we'll say that the green is the color of the rocks, which wouldn't require water. ;)
    My trek into planet making in Gimp continues. I've moved beyond what was taught in the tutorial that I originally followed and decided to do a planet with more Earth-like colors and oceans. (what NASA would call a "Goldilocks" planet) Hopefully it came out OK, it's hard for me to judge my own work sometimes. I hope it looks at least as good as a TOS planet. ;)

enterprisebpleaveorbit01.jpg?w=500
  • LeoCeballosLeoCeballos0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice renders of the Big E. When did you make the TrueSpace to Lightwave transition? I find it interesting because I also started in trueSpace, then switched to Lightwave; now I'm a modonaut, but still remember both those programs fondly.

As for the Connie, I think she's an awesome ship to model. Its like a rite of passage for a 3D artist, and a good thing to test a new tool on. She's got a couple of interesting curves here and there, and is a lovely design when she's finished, but not the most terribly challenging thing to make and the relatively light detailing makes it a manageable thing to tackle in terms of time. I made one a few years back, but I think you've outdone me handily (partially because I unknowingly used some lousy references).

Anyway, she's a beaut as always and you've done 'er proud.
    Thanks. I switched to Lightwave last year, after I found someone selling a full version of LW10 at a great price on Ebay.