Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DWIP S.S. Botany Bay (my first model)

RizzoRizzo0 Posts: 0Member
edited September 2013 in Work in Progress #1
Hi Guys,

i always wanted to go into 3d modelling. But until recently didnt know how or with which programm (most of them are insanly expensive). But now i found Blender and got myself a tutorial dvd, that plus youtube and other tutorials i started to teach myself blender. As iam a huge Star Trek Fan too, i thought of taking a rather simple ship from that series and try to modell it. I choose the S.S. Botany Bay 2.5 weeks ago and started to learn Blender from scratch.

Below you can see the first results of it. The 3d Model itself is rather finished (only some minor details are missing). After that the chapter lighting and textures are in front of me (dont know how successfull i will get there).

For my first attempt iam quite happy but i dont tell its perfect. Some things i dont understand yet. For example these odd shadows i have on the third picture when the tip of the ship begins, so the quadratic form enters the round form. Dont have a clue why there are there. When iam looking at the mesh, everything seems to be quite ok :confused:

But i would like to share my work with all of you and maybe get some comments. As i found this forum a few days ago and the topic really hits me :D

Update 15.06.2013 :

Managed to get a little bit more insight about the shadow problems, one part was missing reflexion, other part was a model error i now fixed. Added also the containers in standard configuration how the ship was displayed in the series. Maybe i will change that later.
103300.png
103301.png
Post edited by Rizzo on
Tagged:

• SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    First off: Welcome to the site! Always nice to see new work. As far as your model goes so far, it looks quite good; especially for someone just starting out. It would help to offer some advice if you could post a wireframe view of the area you're having issues with so that the community here can help you out.

Looking forward to seeing how this goes. :)
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Welcome to the site. :)

Great work on the Botany Bay. It's one of my favorite ships. You're definitely doing great work so far.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    good work, never really new what the botany bay looked like. the shadows on the nose are probably either because there are no faces connecting the curves of the round nose to the straighter sided fuselage, or because those faces are angled such that they are not reflecting towards the camera so appear very dark. an option to cure this could be to put a brighter or more reflective material on those faces, but that may cause problems when viewed from other angles. i like the rather submarine style design.
  • ZeropointZeropoint0 Posts: 0Member
    Botany Bay . . . Botany Bay?
    Botany Bay!
    Oh no . . . Oh, NO! Ve heff to get out of here!

It's looking great so far. Without seeing some wireframes, the only suggestion I can make regarding the nose part is to check for duplicate faces and be sure to recalculate the normals in the "out" direction, but you've probably already tried that. Keep up the good work!
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    nice work. :)
  • RizzoRizzo0 Posts: 0Member
    1st update. See original post
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,283Member
    Congratulations!
    That's always a good model to figure out the basics of your software of choice.