Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAvenger Class Starfleet Museum

nOObnOOb0 Posts: 0Member
edited September 2013 in Work in Progress #1
Hello Scifi Meshes! My name is Zach and I like Star Wars, Star Trek, Stargate, and well... just about anything that has "Star" in the name. I've been into 3d art for about 3 years and I have been learning Blender for 2. So far I've just been derping around with modeling different things and leaving them unfinished, but I aim to change that with this project. Xfozz's Thread turned me on the the Starfleet Museum site and so I decided to model the Avenger. Hopefully I can finish this before he gets to it so that way it won't look like a lame follow-up. XD

AvengerWIP3.png
AvengerWIP4.png
AvengerWIP5.png
AvengerWIP6.png

Please note I've made some slight changes to the nacelle design. Also, as you can probably tell, this is just the beginning stage where I'm getting the basic shapes and proportions down. Some of the mesh shapes are just intersecting where I plan to later weld them together, such as in the Hangar Deck/Saucer area. My lighting is pretty horrible so If anyone could briefly explain what their setup is for simple model-showoff renders like this, that would be great.
102979.png
102980.png
102981.png
102982.png
Post edited by nOOb on
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Welcome to the forums. :)

That's a nice looking start you have there. This is one of my favorite Federation designs from the museum. :)
  • RekkertRekkert4071 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,307Member
    Welcome n00b!

It's always nice to see ships from the Starfleet Museum, and you have a pretty good start on the Avenger there, good work. :thumb:
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • nOObnOOb0 Posts: 0Member
    Connected the top Hangar deck area to the main saucer. Geez what a headache! My subsurf skills have vastly improved since I started this. Anyway, I also played a little with the lighting setup. Sorry I don't have more to show, I'm really slow still.

AvengerWIP13.png

AvengerWIP10.png
    103042.png103043.png
  • TrekologistTrekologist0 Posts: 0Member
    This is one of my favorite non-canon starships --- I look forward to seeing more! :) :thumb::notworthy:
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    It's looking good so far. :)
  • MasaoMasao0 Posts: 0Member
    Hey, Zach! Thanks for modeling my ship. I'll be watching.
  • nOObnOOb0 Posts: 0Member
    Masao wrote: »
    Hey, Zach! Thanks for modeling my ship. I'll be watching.

Wow! Cool! Thank you for making an awesome website! I hope I manage to do your design some justice. BTW Those things on the top of the saucer are shield generators right? Anyway here's some pics of the areas I've been working on. I was having some trouble getting the nacelle pylon/stardrive transition looking good but I'm pretty happy with how it came out. I also blended the bottom saucer hump things to the main saucer after seeing Jan Wehlack's awesome take on this ship. I'm trying to make everything fit together as smoothly as I can.

AvengerWIP15.png
    AvengerWIP16.png
    103136.png103137.png
  • RekkertRekkert4071 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,307Member
    Pretty cool, I like the extra steps you've taken to make the design fit together, like the little extruded area in the pylon-stardrive connection.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • MasaoMasao0 Posts: 0Member
    nOOb wrote: »
    Wow! Cool! Thank you for making an awesome website! I hope I manage to do your design some justice. BTW Those things on the top of the saucer are shield generators right?
    Yeah, probably....
    I took them from another ship, USS Huron from TAS. I'm not sure what they do, but shield generators are as good as guess as any.

I'm a strictly 2-D designer, so my ships can vary a bit from view to view. But you seem to be doing all right.

Masao