Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUEMC Persius...a long time project

RaftermanRafterman331 Posts: 0Member
edited September 2013 in Work in Progress #1
Hey guys an girls, I don't post here often (as my obvious lack of skills will show) laughs hysterically...but its only fair to post some work for C&C. I am always impressed by the multitude of talented artists that post their work here and want to share my own work. Enjoy all comments welcome.
102970.jpg
Post edited by Rafterman on
Tagged:

• meugen06meugen06334 Posts: 5Member
    What's the ship function?
  • StonecoldStonecold331 Posts: 0Member
    Well, as for modelling, I think detalisation is quite good and solid.

But we have no information on ship, or universe she belongs to, so can`t judge the design itself. If it supposed to be a spaceship - the internal layout is far from being realistic. However, it will do just fine for "star wars" or "star-trek"-like pulp-fiction scenarios.
  • Soran77Soran770 Posts: 0Member
    Stonecold wrote: »
    "star-track"

WTH man it's TREK, NOT TRACK! :P
    fixed, thanx :D
  • Robert HarrisonRobert Harrison1 Posts: 16Member
    He says it is C&C, i assume that means Command and Conquer?

It looks a little like either a sea ship or a air ship from the games...

Either way looks very good...

Waiting for more...
    Comments&Critique, I think.
    Ah okay... showing my ignorance of abbreviations now :D
  • Knight26Knight26192 Posts: 838Member
    It is an interesting design and I would get some kind of landing craft or expeditionary warfare ship. I see a lot of storage and containers, the tracked vehicle and possibly an exit ramp out the back end. I also see what might be two cranes and a pop up defensive missile launcher, which is wastng a lot of internal space BTW. I do not see any crew quarters/bunk rooms or any kind of engineering spaces and most important I don't see any plumbing or ventilation. A look at the overall design might help as right now there is just too little to go on. The modelling is nice so far though.
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    this looks alot like one of DrLee's ships as this is also his style of modeling aswell and the ship shape is almost exact

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?68303-My-3D-work
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    hard to see all that much of the overall design from that image, but good work on modelling the insides. would like to see some other angles to get a better view of the outside.
  • BorklessBorkless171 Posts: 0Member
    Cool design, but it doesn't feel very ship-like inside. There doesn't seem to be space for life-support machinery (Heat exchangers, Co2 scrubbers, ventilation ducting, plumbing.) There's also nothing that looks like fuel tankage.
  • ZeropointZeropoint0 Posts: 0Member
    First, I'd like to apologize, because it seems like all I do on this board is complain about things "not being realistic" and ramble on about engineering concerns. However, I do feel that paying attention to such things can go a long way toward making something feel believable.

Having served aboard a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier, I have to agree with the comments you've been getting so far. Real ships have large amounts of pipes, ducts, and cables running through them (yeah, this kind of thing would be a pain to model). They also have various kinds of tankage, and--this is where a LOT of sci-fi ships stumble--have a large portion of their volume dedicated to propulsion and engineering space.

This cutaway of a WW2 Destroyer shows a bit of what I'm talking about; you can clearly see some tankage and engine room space. I also managed to dig up a PDF of a WW2 sub and a diagram of a modern British aircraft carrier that give a good, clear sense of how their space is used.

There's a lot of cutaway diagrams and deck by deck plans of a lot of different kinds of ships out there on the web; a little research will go a LONG way in realism, or at least verisimilitude. :)

Edit: A reasonable rule of thumb is that a military ship will have about 1/3 of its volume devoted to engineering and propulsion spaces. Civilian cargo ships whose primary concern is economy have much smaller engineering spaces, proportionally, starting at something like 1/10 and getting much smaller on the mega container ships.
  • RaftermanRafterman331 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks for all the comments, I know that there is a lot of detail on the interiors that is not done yet
    and that will be address as progress continues. The universe is a project of my own(obviously) not related to Command and Conquer. The image was done a while back and was one of the earlier progress renders in my production folder. As for the type of vessel it is a military resupply ship. As stated a long way from finished. Pls no apologies for ur comments as I appreciate honest feedback. Hopefully the next couple of images give a little more scope of the vessel.:D Enjoy. The first pic is how the ship started. The other two is at current stage. :)
    103033.jpg103034.jpg103035.jpg
    Nice, would those cranes side by side be able to turn all the way? They look very close.
    Well, my main critique, as allways - "realism". I mean, spaceship should be structured as skyscrapper, not like sea-vessel. And there should be A LOT of propellant at the very least. However, there are more then enough fictional universes, that completely handwave the matter.

Still, I like this model as a work of art, not as technological drawing :)
  • alonzo11208alonzo11208331 Posts: 0Member
    I want to see more ships lol

I like the style and despite the merits everyone has on the interiors, Ill say that I think youve done a good job thus far. It may be lacking the super accuracy of a tech sheet and there are some questions that are raised, but I the effort you put into making a decent interior is pretty cool.

MOAR PULEASE! :D
  • RekkertRekkert4080 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,308Member
    I like it, both on an artistic and on a technical level. You clearly put a lot of effort rationalizing the design.
    I particularly like how everything looks "busy", but useful; unlike some designs that simply have details everywhere just for the sake of it.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    You've got the decks aligned horizontally to the axis of thrust, which strongly implies some sort of gravity manipulation technology. If you really want to get away from Star Trek / Star Wars, lose the two-dimensional, bottom of the gravity well thinking, and orient your decks perpendicular to the axis of thrust. 8)
  • Knight26Knight26192 Posts: 838Member
    While I agree with Jenny, this craft looks to the type to do a lot of its work in atmo, to resupply ground forces, so might be carried by a large craft and therefore could go with the horizontal deck without too much issue. If this is a space only craft, then you are the in the trek/wars design type, so hope you have some form of gravity control system.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    quite nice, i like those engine pods.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That's some nice, solid work so far. I like that you're doing the inside and the outside, so many of us are too lazy to do that. I know there have been some comments on "realism," but this is Science Fiction, not Science fact. ;) If it doesn't look practical, that's because it operates on some not yet invented technology that we have no knowledge or understanding of. Though, I do have to agree with the comment about the cranes being dangerously close together. No matter what tech you're using, you can't stop cranes from crashing into one another. ;)
    Jenny wrote: »
    You've got the decks aligned horizontally to the axis of thrust, which strongly implies some sort of gravity manipulation technology. If you really want to get away from Star Trek / Star Wars, lose the two-dimensional, bottom of the gravity well thinking, and orient your decks perpendicular to the axis of thrust. 8)

:D he still hasn't made it clear what kind of ship it is (other than a resupply) so it could be that the boat is an airship. Design to spend time in the air of a planet and landing to resupply... In that case gravity plates or manipulation wouldn't be needed. :D I do hope we get much more of this project though.
  • KilminsterKilminster0 Posts: 0Member
    Stonecold wrote: »
    Well, my main critique, as allways - "realism". I mean, spaceship should be structured as skyscrapper, not like sea-vessel. And there should be A LOT of propellant at the very least. However, there are more then enough fictional universes, that completely handwave the matter.

Still, I like this model as a work of art, not as technological drawing :)

It all depends on whether you have artificial gravity (and inertia compensators although those are often not mentioned) or not.
    If there is artificial gravity you don't have to build a "skyscraper" (meaning everything stacked on top of the main engines)

That is not handwaving in itself. If you are able to compensate the accelleration needed to reach a substancial percentage of lightspeed in a feasible time you should not have any problems producing the one gravity pointing downwards perpendicular from your accelaration vector. So Ships with a seahips like layout are just relying on certain technology that is not that uncommon in SciFi.

Propellant is another matter of course.
    While real physics would demand at least 99% of the ships mass being propellant I would still reserve a significant percentage in a "not quite realistic universe".
  • ZeropointZeropoint0 Posts: 0Member
    While real physics would demand at least 99% of the ships mass being propellant I would still reserve a significant percentage in a "not quite realistic universe".

Indeed. While I like to harp about engineering and physics concerns and their effects on verisimilitude, it's also true that designing a fictional ship is an artistic endeavor, and the artist must consider both the intended "message" of the work and the intended audience. It's certainly possible to imagine a universe in which ships don't need propellant at all and thus have no tankage space . . . but to many people, such a ship might come across as more magic than mundane workhorse tech. Supply ships are not generally supposed to be "sexy" and their very existence implies a world in which logistics is a critical concern. Therefore, I would guess that artistic concerns would also suggest that a supply ship have tankage space, ductwork, pipes, and machinery spaces . . .

Artificial gravity may not be very hard science, but it's a well-accepted fictional tech, and it would have enough practical benefits for space travel that you can bet that as soon as we can unify gravity with the other fundamental forces, people will be working hard to make it practical. It's handwaving, but if you accept FTL, you've got no business complaining about artifical gravity. :)

Finally, I'd like to say that I like the outside view of the ship. It looks very practical and sensible.
    Even if a ship doesn't need propellant it would still need some kind of fuel unless you postulate something like "generating energy by tapping into a continuum with a higher energy level and simply letting that flow "down" into yout ship". (And that is pretty close to handwavium as fuel ;) )

So whether it is real propellant or simply fuel for the reactors that power some other kind of drive system, in most sci-fi universes you need some storage for either or both. And that is something where the star trek ships for example are usually a bit underequipped for my taste.

Starwars is another thing. If you look at the cutaway for the droid control ship for example you have a main reactor of more than 300 m in diameter and the two main engine reactors are at least 250 m in diameter but while the cutaway shows workshops for building units and ammo storage there simply is no fuel. So you have reactors as tall as skyscrapers and the fuel tanks are so small that they simply disappear under all the other details in the drawing?

Of course modelling for a movie or a tv show has certain priorities ("looking good") and the cutaways were available only after the movie or show. And while both universes are quite detailed I find that lack a bit sad.
    SciFi Universes simply can't follow the physics we know today or they would not be able to deliver the story lines we want but at least a fictional universe should have some rules and follow those. At least for me that has some importance when I try to design something myself.

On the other hand I can apreciate the simple artistic beauty of things. And there both Starwars and Star Trek are quite good. And while the design is simply laughable from a practical standpoint the space ship Yamato is one of the most beautiful designs in my eyes. But I am well aware that I should not start looking at these ships with the eyes of a physicist (which I am by university degree although I have never worked in the profession since I went into software development directly after graduation) or engineer.
    Kilminster wrote: »
    And while the design is simply laughable from a practical standpoint the space ship Yamato is one of the most beautiful designs in my eyes. But I am well aware that I should not start looking at these ships with the eyes of a physicist (which I am by university degree although I have never worked in the profession since I went into software development directly after graduation) or engineer.

Funny enough, "Yamato" tries to be plausable for some extent. Yes, their main engine runs on pure handwavium, tapping into "space energy" and directly converting it into thrust. However, maneuvering thrusters are seen more then often, ship continue spin or movement untill it is countered by thruster, and so on. Even the fact, that main engine doubles as main cannon is quite reasonable.
    That is in fact reasonable. And some other Universes have their problems in that exact area.

For example in the Perry Rhodan Universe the older sublight engines ("impulse engines") are somewhat like high power fusion reactors that expell the reaction product at high velocities (with some added "hyperphisical" effects so that the fact that this type of engine would use up the complete mass of the ship in order to accelarate it close to lightspeed just once).

Now these engines are controlled with force fields (for direction changes for example) and these force fields obviously can stand the power of the engine without collapsing.
    On the other hand there is something like an impulse gun in that same universe where the principle is practically the same as in the engine. Only focussing is better but it is still quite hard to explain why the inner force fields can stand enough energy to accelarate a ship with 100 km / sec2 while guns with less energy can pierce the outer force fields of a ship.

If you start looking hard enough you'll find faults in the logic of even the best constructed universes. But they can still be fun.
  • Does it not depend on how far this ship has to move? If it is a small as between planets then a short burst of thrust and the ship will drift the rest of the way. That being said with NASA coming up with designs for warp drive, the Iron drive, a Nuke engine and fusion there are plenty of real world engines that would do the job...?
  • RaftermanRafterman331 Posts: 0Member
    Well it seems that this has generated a bit of discussion, which i did not expect but appreciate non the less.
    As I stated earlier my lack of skills belies my ability however I have enjoyed the the lack of realism whn C&C. To which I have endevoured to take on board ie the lack of realism with the lack of ducting piping. I should point out that my way of doing things is somewhat unorthodox so what seems like missing detail is just not created yet. The title of the post says it all, a long time project.....so anyhooow, I have been working on the tail for a week or so and these are sum updated piccys. The piccy with the shuttle, that ship is not mine but belongs to a friend ( some know him as Devilman) he and I used to share a place together. :devil:
    Once again still along way from even being close to presentable but I must add Projects like these add to our learning curve when it comes to cgi artwork. Enjoy.:D
    103108.jpg103109.jpg103110.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    You're making good progress on this. As you said, one of the reasons for posting on a WIP forum is to get feedback and improve your skills. :)