Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DEE Game Universe Ships

Enterprise-EEnterprise-E0 Posts: 0Member
edited September 2013 in Work in Progress #1
Hello!

First, i would like to make it clear, that this is the same project as this thread. I don't know how strict the separation of 2D and 3D content is, so i created a new thread. Also, most likely more 2D art will follow over time.

So, as i experienced, 3D modeling the ships to derive game artwork from is way too slow, considering the amount of ships i will require for my game. While i like the look of the 3D model, i might still finish it, but other method needs to be found to produce the game artwork. My next try was some concept art.

As it turned out, i was able to do it in a much more reasonable amount of time. Of course, this is still far from final ingame artwork, but still a grat step forward. Best of all, i only need one such concept per faction, because all i need it for is to help lay down the main characteristics for that faction. In the lower right corner you can see the original artwork used in StarTemple TD, where the ships appeared much smaller, and didnt need lot of serious detail.

follow my blog (forum kills my artwork by compressing it to JPG, you can see original PNG here)
103351.jpg
102779.jpg
Post edited by Enterprise-E on
Tagged:

• MarkyDMarkyD0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice work, very nicely drawn.
  • Enterprise-EEnterprise-E0 Posts: 0Member
    Here is the next concept in the series i planned, one for each faction. This time itA’s the A‘Fast raceA’ (the previous one was the 'Shield race'). I really feel i should make it a priority to think of some proper names for the factions, as it sounds so silly addressing them as A‘Shield raceA’, A‘Fast raceA’ and suchA… sorry for that, have to identify them somehow until backstory work has started.

This one took way longer than the Shield one. I think this was mostly because the Fast raceA’s art style is farther apart from my natural art style than the Shield race. Closest to it being the Heavy race actually (Those who know my Homeworld past shouldnA’t be surprised about that)A…

Also, a hard decision was whether to use clearly vertical detailing, or try to keep it as A‘flatA’ as possible, because the end product will be top-down 2D. In the end i decided to keep the vertical shape (the center spine of the ship with the laser domes, that is rising above the rest of the hull). If it turns out to be problematic later in the game, i can still flatten it, but i generally think, a design is more proper if it uses all three dimensions.
    102880.jpg
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    cool design, seems to have same engines as the 3d model in another of your threads. like the overall style of it and a good colour combination.
    Thanks. Indeed spacefighter, it's a ship of the same faction, but a different model.
    In my series of racial redesigns, i arrived at the Standard race. For quite some time, i was like, what to do with them? They were the sort of uninteresting A‘filler raceA’ in Star Temple TD, having the role of common easy enemies, without any special traits. For some time it was in question to even make them a playable race at all. Then they started to take shape as my universeA’s noble race. Traditional, honorable, diplomatic. Having beautiful, ornate ships to reflect that.

Could not decide which one to make the raceA’s base color scheme yet, so multiple variations included. Even if decided, alternate schemes might be used for ship customization. Which one is your favourite?

Which race would you chose to play based on what you saw this far?
    103028.jpg
  • raytridiraytridi0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice drawing and nice design.
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    These are fantastic concept designs! All of them will make beautiful models...Well done!
  • wibblewibble1145 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 514Member
    Which race would you chose to play based on what you saw this far?

The last one definitively. Also I like the orange color-scheme. Although the white one is for sure very beautiful it would make them too obviously the good ones. The orange is a bit uncommon, what I like.
    Hey Sorceress21, nice to see you around!

Finally we arrived at the probably most popular race, the Heavies. Needed virtually no redesign compared to the original artwork, just needed to draw in much higher detail. Game balancing wise, the Heavy race is pretty straighforward, they will be the simple tank & gank race, without any special abilities, and also, being the slowest of them all.

Story wise they are a very militaristic faction, kind of like Soviet union used to be. They have lowest technology of all the factions, but make up for it with oversized, overarmored, and overgunned ships. Most of their ships could pass as one hull category larger in other faction's navies than what they are classed as. Who needs fancy shields and weapons, when you have meters of solid armor, simple construction, and fire missiles as large as small frigates at your enemies...

Which one do you like more? Main question is hull-shade, engine, and window colors. Paint scheme could be applied to both versions actually, just wanted to show a plain-grey version as well.

Also, which race is your favourite so far? Which one would you consider flying, if you tried the game?
    103350.jpg103351.jpg
  • Mikey-BMikey-B0 Posts: 0Member
    Your artwork is stunning. Maybe in time I will have a similar eye for detail. Personally for the heavies I like the gray with yellow tiger stripes. Oh there you go, the Tigerians have tiger striped ships. :)
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    OOh I'd immediately play the Orange ship or gray with orange stripes. Very Homeworld-ish vibe to this which I love. I'd probably play defensive or balanced race. Then again, I always get destroyed when I play people at Starcraft, so don't take my word for much ;)
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,977Member
    All of them looks great Kriz!
    But my fav is the orange one, followed by the big gray. :)
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    for design my preference is the streamlined blue one. think this one is the fast race, though in combat i might prefer something with better armour.
  • ZeropointZeropoint0 Posts: 0Member
    I'd have to see how they break down in actual gameplay to be certain, but I'm drawn to the balanced and noble Orangians, and the brutally pragmatic Grayites.