Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDeep Space Station K-7

MarkyDMarkyD0 Posts: 0Member
edited August 2013 in Work in Progress #1
Hi,

its been sometime since I have posted anything here, and to be honest nothing of note.

That said I have recently started a project as I am looking at making a very high quality wallpaper for myself. It will be a montage of shuttles passing by the K7 station.

I have built the shuttle, it still needs work, and I have now fleshed out a low poly station so that I can try to visualise the dimensions etc. The differences between blue prints and studio shots of the station vary greatly so making a low poly station was a good way to go think.

I will now start work detailing new parts of the station, hopefully I will stick with the project long enough to start with some interiors also.

Comments, advice, suggestions and pointers are always welcome.
102754.jpg
102755.jpg
102756.jpg
Post edited by MarkyD on
Tagged:

• JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    I've always liked the inflatable space station. Good start. Are you going to have shuttles of different eras, or just the TOS one?
  • MarkyDMarkyD0 Posts: 0Member
    Jenny wrote: »
    I've always liked the inflatable space station. Good start. Are you going to have shuttles of different eras, or just the TOS one?

Jenny, thanks. I don't intend to go out of era with the shuttle selection, although I do intend to throw in some different types.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Nice start. I've always liked this station. :)

I know what you mean about the blueprints. I built one a few years ago using only the blueprints and, when I got it done, I found out that it was nowhere near being screen accurate. They may get you there as far as the general layout, but you're going to have to do some photo-based work if you want it to look like it did on the TV series.
  • ChanurChanur191 53.33° N / 10.00° EPosts: 305Member
    The problem with the blueprints is, that they show the K7 version of the old AMT model and not the station that we see on the screen.
    That's because they're from the '70s and the old kit was the best resource at the time. A lot of old blueprints are incorrect due to lack of references.
  • RekkertRekkert4041 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,303Member
    I've never been sure about this particular design. Part of me loves it, part of me hates it.

Nevertheless, you made a great start on your model. :)
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    scale_4.jpg

Many thanks, I was not aware that the blueprints were from the AMT kit, but that does explain allot. I have spent some time now replacing certain parts of the station with higher poly objects. Looking at closeups of the studio model I think I will opt for bump/normal mapping for some of the minor hull detail.
    102780.jpg
    what.jpg

I apologise for the double post, I'm thinking about the shuttles and ships that will be in the shot. Can anyone identify this? I though it may have originated as a TAS design but I cant seem to find a reference to it?
    102782.jpg
    It's looking good so far. :thumb: Don't worry about double posting in your own thread. You had something you needed to say and it's not your fault nobody else posted in the half an hour between posts. ;)

As for the ship in the docking bay, I'd guess it's probably Cyrano Jones' space ship. We know he was on the station and he was a trader, so it would make sense for him to have a small but not too small ship that one person could operate.
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah, I've read interviews with the guys who did the model for More Troubles, More Tribbles, and they say that's intended to be Jones' spaceship. I don't know where the design originated; might be with Greg Jein, for all I can tell.
    Thanks evil_genius and Jenny, I looked him up and remembered the guy, whilst looking him up I found http://www.litb.com/bizcardz/CaptJamesTKirk.jpg - Capt Kirks business card, strange the things you find on the internet when your not looking for them.

I have decided that the scene will be an evacuation of K7 during an attack, so a perspective shot showing the damaged K7 and fleeing shuttles etc.

Edit:

http://www.neutralzone.de/database/Federation/CivilianShip/Spacematic.htm#Bilder

Thanks guys, its called the Spacematic. I'll rough her out next and she can be a destroyed shuttle for the final image.