Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DCaptain's log supplemental...

CroesusCroesus331 Posts: 0Member
edited August 2013 in Finished Work #1
Hey guys,

This is my first post of anything like this... usually I just keep myself to myself but I thought I'd share this one. I was inspired by the beautiful remastering of TNG done by CBS-D and thought that I'd try my hand at rendering a beauty shot of the Enterprise (created by Prologic9) - This was more of a compositing 'kick around' more than anything else, using passes from V-Ray 2.0.

It was rendering in 3DS Max and comped together in Nuke...

Enjoy
102647.jpg
Post edited by Croesus on
Tagged:

• kuckuk333kuckuk333178 Posts: 209Member
    wonderful.
    although the graining is a bit too much for my taste. but that's just me. if possible and if it's not too much work for you i'd like to see a version without graining.
  • RekkertRekkert4038 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,303Member
    I agree with kuckuk, the render is beautiful, but it may have a little too much grain and blur.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I think it's fantastic. I love the grain and blur, it makes it seem like a genuine screen shot. Besides, that looks like a NASA photo and I can tell you from experience that they're pretty grainy, so the best way to make rendered elements look like they belong in the photo is to add a lot of grain. On that note, really nice composition. :thumb:
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    Very nice!

The bussards look almost exactly like the ones on the CG model, as seen in the Season 5 blu-ray trailer.
    1065166_547601528633451_1147205087_o.jpg

Yes, the Season 5 trailer comes on the Season 4 set, just random information. :p
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • CroesusCroesus331 Posts: 0Member
    Hey thanks guys! Glad ya'll like it.

You are absolutely correct evil_genius, it's comped onto a NASA back-plate which is very grainy. Rather than denoise the plate and add my own grain in, I've decided to just match the grain to the original plate. It's usually common practice to match the CG to the plate rather than the plate to the CG.

Here's a few test shots that I did a few weeks ago using this plate... not as good IMO but still nice to look at. One of them is currently an animation that I'm working on, hopefully it'll look the ticket :D
    102667.jpg102668.jpg
  • kuckuk333kuckuk333178 Posts: 209Member
    Croesus wrote: »
    Hey thanks guys! Glad ya'll like it.

You are absolutely correct evil_genius, it's comped onto a NASA back-plate which is very grainy. Rather than denoise the plate and add my own grain in, I've decided to just match the grain to the original plate. It's usually common practice to match the CG to the plate rather than the plate to the CG.

that's right. when using a grainy background than it's not wise to use a sharp CG. that'd look odd. please note that i didn't want to criticize you. i just expressed my personal taste.

btw: for being only testrenders they look pretty good.
  • LatosLatos335 Posts: 0Member
    It's fantastic! I love it, test renders are even better for me. Love the tone, the feel and all the imperfections and comp tricks. Great job man! wanna see more! :)