Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DU.S.S. UNIVERSE (class)

vmblastvmblast3 Posts: 0Member
edited August 2013 in Work in Progress #1
All in all, because of a lot of interest, I had do open this project in a new thread. ;)

Initially this design was intended to be for new the Ent F, however that was about 3 years ago and before I met Andy. Because I liked Oberth class and Ent D, I wanted to make some kind of elegant integration of these two philosophies.

However after I met Andy, that design started to evolve since Ive already working on the real (Id say canon) F. Because with the F, we stepped into 25th century, my idea for this (not abandoned) project, changed to be also new spaceship that can possibly stand neck to neck with Andy's F in that timeline.

In these images I am showing how that project/idea evolved from the F into U.S.S. UNIVERSE class.

PS -slightly bigger than the D.

This is where I started :p
Enterprise09.jpg

After a lot of variations/building/evolution it came to this.
Enterprise65.jpg Enterprise66.jpg Enterprise63.jpg Enterprise45.jpg Enterprise41.jpg

After two years, I revisited the project again.
F_V_01.jpg F_V_04.jpg
102676.jpg
102599.jpg
102563.jpg
102564.jpg
102680.jpg
102600.jpg
102602.jpg
102603.jpg
102605.jpg
Post edited by vmblast on
Tagged:

• vmblastvmblast3 Posts: 0Member
    Draft 3D version/exploration of those sketches.
    Universe_draftSketch05.jpg Universe_draftSketch06.jpg

And after about half of year, I decided that I wanted to again revisit this project giving it the final look. Ive also noticed and at the end go with idea that for ship this size ring is really excellent and sufficient secondary hull ;)
    universe_test_0002.jpg universe_test_0007.jpg universe_test_0018.jpg universe_test_0028.jpg
    102613.jpg102614.jpg102615.jpg102616.jpg102617.jpg102618.jpg
  • RekkertRekkert4039 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,303Member
    I like your latest drawings very much, they really make the ship look like a contemporary to your Ent-F.
    Definitively looking forward to see how this one will evolve.

EDIT: That's unfair, you posted those renders while I was typing! :lol:

That shape is amazing! It looks very... logical, for the lack of a better word, and makes sense when you think of the ships that came before. Is the idea to make this the Ent-F "sister class", like the Nebula and Miranda were to the Galaxy and Constitution classes?
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • StormcloudStormcloud2 Posts: 0Member
    this ship looks great in latest images.......... from most angles - as always though its hard to find a shape that works that well from all angles but keep working on this one - has alot of promise
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I actually like this version the best:
    vmblast wrote: »

It reminds me of a cross between the Galaxy and Oberth classes. Very sexy. ;)

Though, the new one with the ring-shaped structure is cool too.
  • largolargo331 Posts: 0Member
    I love it, I have always loved the look of the Oberth and you have done an amazing job so far making it's Galaxy era counterpart
    Rekkert wrote: »
    Is the idea to make this the Ent-F "sister class", like the Nebula and Miranda were to the Galaxy and Constitution classes?

Thnx again,

Not intentionally, I guess its just that how it turned out to be, so thats interesting. Also, interesting "accident" was that uss Helios became like 25th century Excelsior and we got role reversal now again, where new Ent F is smaller than Helios. Universe class just continued its course and remained Federation flagship design philosophy (at least in my mind lol) ;)
    I actually like this version the best:

It reminds me of a cross between the Galaxy and Oberth classes. Very sexy. ;)

Though, the new one with the ring-shaped structure is cool too.

Thank you.

That was my initial motivation (about 3 years ago). I liked Oberth and Galaxy, so, I wanted/tried to make some interesting and possibly classy blend of those two together. Ofc, that evolved into oval ring ship and also turned out to be well. In a way it all turned out good, because they all somehow fit inside timeline -first attempt ship was from Ent D era and new (Universe class) is from Ent F century, so thats great ;)
  • Wishbone_AshWishbone_Ash325 Posts: 250Member
    I actually like this version the best

Me too, I think you just about nailed it first time round!
  • slybrarianslybrarian68 Posts: 49Member
    I really like the final ring version where there's only that small bump instead of a full secondary hull. The middle versions don't really do much for me though, I definitely prefer the original. I could even see the final 'ring' and the first 'full' version (with dropped nacelles) being related models that use the same primary hull but different secondary hulls.
  • rwkingrwking189 Posts: 173Member
    without the eongated oberth type secondary hull, the ship appears to me out of balance. I think you need the lower section to add a sense of stability to the ship.
  • ihlecreationsihlecreations0 Posts: 0Member

I love this view!
  • BasillBasill172 Posts: 0Member
    Me too, I think you just about nailed it first time round!

Yeah. That version is pretty awesome and almost makes me interested in TNG era ships again. (almost... ;) )

It wouldn't have to be as large as a Galaxy class or some other Starfleet capital ship, but it just truly looks like it belongs in that era like something that was always there but we never got to see. :D
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    I also agree iwth Evil there... The initial idea was the best-looking. Maybe amp it up a bit to look more like a timeline follower of the Ent-E, and not a parallel developement of the Ent-D.

The new one, with only a deflector-housing and the nacelles on a ring almost looks whimsical and stupid.
    I finally, through long process of line flow and form exploration, got the nacelles that I'm really happy about. :) The only thing I havent included in this version is the impulse engine (or engines) and I am still searching good placement for it. Also I added two small (which you would not see in these pictures) hatches for -dual synchronous cores-. It was interesting idea for me that this heavy cruiser, could have dual warp cores that powers two huge nacelles :p

ussUniverse_V4_01.jpg ussUniverse_V4_02.jpg ussUniverse_V4_03.jpg ussUniverse_V4_04.jpg ussUniverse_V4_05.jpg ussUniverse_V4_06.jpg ussUniverse_V4_07.jpg
    102670.jpg102671.jpg102672.jpg102673.jpg102674.jpg102675.jpg102676.jpg
  • rojrenrojren2304 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,971Member
    Exceptional.... but, please, please change the "Hercule Poirot" mustache on the top/front of the saucer.
  • adjunct37betaadjunct37beta188 Seattle, WAPosts: 60Member
    This is a really really interesting design. I can't wait to see you flesh out all of the detail. If you're taking unsolicited advice, maybe something a little more substantial with the deflector/secondary hull...elongated and enlarged beyond the ring to give it more of a star-drive section? I dunno, just a thought, you can totally ignore it; this looks incredible.
    rojren wrote: »
    Exceptional.... but, please, please change the "Hercule Poirot" mustache on the top/front of the saucer.

lool :lol: but thank you. These are actually the forward projectors (Ent E has the almost same detail) -actually thats the only detail that I liked on that ship -because it looks like (to me) like a pair of wings in motion. So to me, that was really nice touch to this ship -to make it more classy (like star on mercades benz)-like non intentional and non official logo.
    This is a really really interesting design. I can't wait to see you flesh out all of the detail. If you're taking unsolicited advice, maybe something a little more substantial with the deflector/secondary hull...elongated and enlarged beyond the ring to give it more of a star-drive section? I dunno, just a thought, you can totally ignore it; this looks incredible.

Yes, I played with that idea quite a lot and realized at the end, that it actually makes more damage to the overall form than benefit. As well that the ring would be quite sufficient secondary hull and just to make a subtle deflector antenna casing ;)
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    I finally, through long process of line flow and form exploration, got the nacelles that I'm really happy about. :) The only thing I havent included in this version is the impulse engine (or engines) and I am still searching good placement for it. Also I added two small (which you would not see in these pictures) hatches for -dual synchronous cores-. It was interesting idea for me that this heavy cruiser, have dual warp cores that powers two huge nacelles :p

ussUniverse_V4_01.jpg ussUniverse_V4_02.jpg ussUniverse_V4_03.jpg ussUniverse_V4_04.jpg ussUniverse_V4_04.jpg ussUniverse_V4_05.jpg ussUniverse_V4_06.jpg ussUniverse_V4_07.jpg

nice, liking the ring structure behind the saucer clearly visible in the last image. think the nacelles are cool but more needs doing to break up the flat detailless expanses on certain parts of the ship.
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    Space fighter do you not know what a wip is.?
  • slybrarianslybrarian68 Posts: 49Member
    I definitely like the nacelles and deflector, as well as the... extrusions? for what I assume are the hangar and impulse decks. The small secondary hull is growing on me too, especially since presumably most of the deuterium is stored in the ring section, leaving just the actual warp core and antimatter for the pod.

Also, I for one like smooth shapes (obviously with details such as windows and sensor pallets). I'm not a fan of the random cut-in sections of Voyager, the Ent-E, and later ships as opposed to the mostly-intact shapes of the Galaxy and movie-era ships. Having a couple for the biggest lounges is one thing, but they're rarely positioned with a lot of thought.
  • MihoshiMihoshi0 Posts: 0Member
    A very nice looking ship. At first I was critical of the whole design, but this realyl gives a feeling of grace and speed.
    slybrarian wrote: »
    I definitely like the nacelles and deflector, as well as the... extrusions? for what I assume are the hangar and impulse decks. The small secondary hull is growing on me too, especially since presumably most of the deuterium is stored in the ring section, leaving just the actual warp core and antimatter for the pod.
    From the looks of it I'd say that the warp core and all is actually housed in the saucer, and that the ring serves more to house sensors, support systems and the main deflector systems.
    Maybe the photon torpedo launchers are also housed in the ring.
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    I really like this. Very creative take on Starfleet design. :thumb:

My only crit is that the deflector might look better flipped over because right now it kind of..."hurts" the gracefulness of the overall design.
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,282Member
    Not exactly my cup of tea, but I really appreciate the graceful lines on this one, which give the design its own kind of beauty.
    Mihoshi wrote: »
    A very nice looking ship. At first I was critical of the whole design, but this realyl gives a feeling of grace and speed.

From the looks of it I'd say that the warp core and all is actually housed in the saucer, and that the ring serves more to house sensors, support systems and the main deflector systems.
    Maybe the photon torpedo launchers are also housed in the ring.

Thank you :)

I was playing with idea (which was interesting to me) that this ship could have -dual synchronous cores- and Ive done little hatches placeholders on the bottom of the ring :p

coreHatches01.jpg

However Ive not decided yet about that, so your idea that -one- warp core could be housed inside primary hull (saucer) and the rest of the -stuff- in secondary (ring), is actually good as well ;)
    102702.jpg
    Juvat wrote: »
    I really like this. Very creative take on Starfleet design. :thumb:

My only crit is that the deflector might look better flipped over because right now it kind of..."hurts" the gracefulness of the overall design.

Thank you :)

Ive played with that idea a bit, however Ive realized that with that positioning it sets the ship off balance, so I backed it up inside the ring.
  • joededmanjoededman0 Posts: 0Member
    I was playing with idea (which was interesting to me) that this ship could have -dual synchronous cores- and Ive done little hatches placeholders on the bottom of the ring :p

I'm having a little difficulty imagining the size of this ship. Perhaps something in the renders to give us an idea of the scale?

Thanks,

joe