Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DU.S.S. BRASILIA

vmblastvmblast3 Posts: 0Member
edited July 2013 in Work in Progress #1
Hi to all again.

This was more of an modeling experiment rather than design (but Im really happy with results of the form/shape). Majority of the modeling was done more loosely. Decks for instance are not spaced evenly nor precisely. And many of the details are still missing, like deflector antenna (whit which Im stuck).

Ship info:
U.S.S. BRASILIA class (Im not from Brasil but this was nice name that came to me :) ), is a small ship. About 186 m long ,126 m wide and 30 m in height. It also have one large shuttle bay.

Brasilia0053.jpg Brasilia0054.jpg Brasilia0055.jpg Brasilia0056.jpg Brasilia0057.jpg Brasilia0058.jpg Brasilia0059.jpg Brasilia0060.jpg Brasilia0061.jpg Brasilia0062.jpg

102194.jpg
102195.jpg
102196.jpg
102197.jpg
102198.jpg
102199.jpg
102200.jpg
102201.jpg
102202.jpg
102203.jpg
Post edited by vmblast on
Tagged:

• Wishbone_AshWishbone_Ash325 Posts: 250Member
    I love it, it is really brilliant. I really like your adaptation of Andy Probert's Enterprise F style to another ship. This could be the design language of the 25th Century...
  • vmblastvmblast3 Posts: 0Member
    I love it, it is really brilliant. I really like your adaptation of Andy Probert's Enterprise F style to another ship.

Thank you very much and I appreciate that you've noticed Andy's influence. I hoped that I've picked up few tips and tricks from him while working on the F (still in progress -he's working schedule is pretty hectic) ;)

This could be the design language of the 25th Century...

I certainly hope so with all my hart. The last 20 years studio just smashed all that ST and particularly Federation stands for. This would pull it back to the more simple, benign and softer features -something that is really embodiment of the Federation (and what was ruined during this whole period -including JJ's). :p
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    ItA’s a great homage to Brasilia, capital of my country (for the curious, here it goes the history of that city: http://www.aboutbrasilia.com/facts/history.php.

USS Kubitscheck sounds like a good name for a sister of her. :D

The ship is to much interesting, and I see you follow AndyA’ steps. :thumb: I just donA’t like that much of the naceles,especially the bussards. I think it could be redone and improved, but to do it or not to do it, is your decision of course. ;)
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Great work so far. I like the design of the secondary hull and nacelles. The saucer is nice too, but it's pretty standard. There's certainly nothing wrong with doing a ship solely for the sake of gaining experience and/or trying techniques. It helps to build skills and muscle memory. :)
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    the ship seems quite similar in design to the enterprise in star trek generations(film) or TNG (series). some of the detailing seems fairly good. you say it was an experiment are you using new software or are you using software you have used before but trying out new techniques?
  • StormcloudStormcloud2 Posts: 0Member
    well huge improvement to the enterprise f design - this one i generally like (i was big oppoent of the f design) - only complaints are the nacelles the triangular cross section doesn't look natural combined with the pointy bussard collectors and makes it look like a toy/cg - second thing is the main deflector - thats a very hard edged rectangle - if you can smooth that off somehow so you can include a "starfleet" deflector then its a very nice looking ship

for the nacelles you could try chopping the sharp edge off - leaves there general triangular ness but gives you a better looking edge - the ends well jsut less pointy
  • RekkertRekkert4039 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,303Member
    I like it, though maybe it looks a little too "TNG-ish". I mean, if you change the nacelles a bit the ship could undoubtedly be from the mid 24th Century.
    Maybe adding escape pods and other details from latter designs will make it look less anachronistic.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    I really like this a lot. It's a great concept and look... like a late-TNG version of the Wolf 359 ships. Great job!
    Starship wrote: »
    ItA’s a great homage to Brasilia, capital of my country (for the curious, here it goes the history of that city: http://www.aboutbrasilia.com/facts/history.php.

Yes it is :) tho Ive named it for a few different reasons and one of them is that it sounds really nice ;)

Starship wrote: »
    USS Kubitscheck sounds like a good name for a sister of her. :D

As much as some politician is a good and honest guy, he is still politician and as far as I'm concerned I would never name any ship by them (I have really low opinion about politicians in general). Tho this guy would be far better choice for sister ship ;) http://www.crossfirefusion.com/nuclear-fusion-reactor/crossfire-fusion-reactor.html Maybe we'll have real Star Trek going on some day because of this guy ;)
    Great work so far. I like the design of the secondary hull and nacelles. The saucer is nice too, but it's pretty standard. There's certainly nothing wrong with doing a ship solely for the sake of gaining experience and/or trying techniques. It helps to build skills and muscle memory. :)

Thank you :)

Yes the saucer is standard -my initial design comes from practicality. Since ship is really small, there is no room for any unnecessary spaces or curves. So in a way, it is really an oval with rounded box attached to it :D Anw, I am strong believer that design should come from practicality, without any unnecessary and impractical details. For instance I have still not yet implemented phaser arrays and escape pods and the ship still looks rich right now ;)
    the ship seems quite similar in design to the enterprise in star trek generations(film) or TNG (series)

From this point I could only say thank you for that notion, since I would really like that last 20 years could have been erased. Also as I mentioned in one of the replies, I wanted to pull -back- the design to the more simple, benign and softer features, something that is really embodiment of the Federation (as Gene Roddenberry imagined) :)

you say it was an experiment are you using new software or are you using software you have used before but trying out new techniques?

It was just experiment concerning some techniques. Since Im working on the 1701-F, I really wanted to test some of them, so I know what to do when we get to the detailing part ;) Softer used: Maya
    Stormcloud wrote: »
    well huge improvement to the enterprise f design - this one i generally like (i was big oppoent of the f design)

Thank you about kind words. Tho the F is really different class and its a huge ship in compare to this one. Also I wish that we have finished F (or at least gotten far into detailing), because Im sure that you would see it in different light. When you have just a raw -chopped- shape, it always looks awful :p

only complaints are the nacelles the triangular cross section doesn't look natural combined with the pointy bussard collectors and makes it look like a toy/cg

for the nacelles you could try chopping the sharp edge off - leaves there general triangular ness but gives you a better looking edge - the ends well jsut less pointy

The -pointy- sharper look of the entire nacelles is there to give contra-balance design of the overall oval and softer look of entire ship and also to give you subconscious picture and feeling of the speed and agility. Also I am pretty happy about how they turned out. Tho, you are right there are some of the details that I could tweak a bit on them ;)

- second thing is the main deflector - thats a very hard edged rectangle - if you can smooth that off somehow so you can include a "starfleet" deflector then its a very nice looking ship

The deflector is not there lol :p Actually Ive just left empty chopped space in there, because I had no inspirations what to put in for deflector array and also to look good and blended into the design. I am really stuck with that one :lol: .The only notion is that I had a feeling to put something like soft rectangle. So if anyone have some interesting thoughts about deflector, I would be happy to hear it ;)
    Rekkert wrote: »
    I like it, though maybe it looks a little too "TNG-ish". I mean, if you change the nacelles a bit the ship could undoubtedly be from the mid 24th Century.
    Maybe adding escape pods and other details from latter designs will make it look less anachronistic.

Thank you ;)

The espace pods from later era (those triangular ones) are just too impractical. I actually think that pods (rectangles) from TNG era are far more practical for its function. Since escape pod has only one function (to preserve life), every design stunt is completely unnecessary. Distribution of space in rectangle-like is far more efficient than in triangle-like.

However, Ive still not made any decisions about escape pods at this moment. ;)
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    vmblast wrote: »
    As much as some politician is a good and honest guy, he is still politician and as far as I'm concerned I would never name any ship by them (I have really low opinion about politicians in general). Tho this guy would be far better choice for sister ship ;) http://www.crossfirefusion.com/nuclear-fusion-reactor/crossfire-fusion-reactor.html Maybe we'll have real Star Trek going on some day because of this guy ;)

I understand your point. IA’m with you about politicians. Is hard to know how honest a politician REALLY is. Even Kubitscheck, but I think the name sounds good, by the same way you choose BrasA-lia. ;) I think that scientists and persons like the guy you pointed, really deserves much more the homage. :)
  • aomtealfoxaomtealfox0 Posts: 0Member
    Like the design, and also agree with the nacelles feeling a bit out of place concerning the design. :) Feels like if it's a TNG-era ship (looks like it anyway), probably needs the nacelles in keeping with that!
  • Bell'OrsoBell'Orso331 Posts: 93Member
    Wasn't somebody working on this design with its original creator, Rick Sternbach, in another thread a while back? Was that you, vmblast? Anyway, this is looking mighty fine, nacelles or not. Like to see some more.
    Bell'Orso wrote: »
    Wasn't somebody working on this design with its original creator, Rick Sternbach, in another thread a while back? Was that you, vmblast? Anyway, this is looking mighty fine, nacelles or not. Like to see some more.

Thank you :)

Yeh that was me. I am working with Andrew Probert (not Setrnbach) on the new Enterprise F model. The soul successor to the famous D and we are trying to pull back to the classy, elegant, curvy and soft design features for the the 25th century. Unfortunately for that project, Andy is really busy guy and I hope that he'll have more time for the F in the near future.

There will be some more of his design directions that Im working on (beside the F). I'll try to upload some wip model soon ;) and Im really hoping that ppl here (ST fans especially) will be thrilled with it as much as I am. :lol:
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    A great neck to it. Seamless.
  • Bell'OrsoBell'Orso331 Posts: 93Member
    vmblast wrote: »
    . . . I am working with Andrew Probert (not Setrnbach) . . .

D'Oh! For some reason I always get those two confused. Anyway, if you other stuff is only half as good as this, you can be sure to have a lot of fans here. ;)
    Bell'Orso wrote: »
    D'Oh! For some reason I always get those two confused. Anyway, if you other stuff is only half as good as this, you can be sure to have a lot of fans here. ;)

Thnx again ;)

I just wanted to add that I didnt want to emphasize that because of Andy but because of Sternbach. I really, really dont like his design work on spaceships. In my opinion (these epithets are just too soft) he has just too boxy, wood-log-type design, with too much unnecessary details. However I think he did wonderful job designing federation weapons and pads (grandfather of apples iPad ;)