Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DBig Bad Dreadnought

calamity_sicalamity_si361 Posts: 369Member
edited June 2013 in Work in Progress #1
Directly inspired by the USS Vengeance from Star Trek Into Darkness, this is a slightly more traditional Federation Dreadnought (with 3 nacelles) geared for battle. I am experimenting with the very angular almost 'stealth' appearance of the ship. Still playing around with this so please keep checking back for updates.:thumb:

USS INVICTUS 3.jpg
USS INVICTUS 2.jpg
USS INVICTUS 1.jpg

Model link: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=a9ec2d241b289b51ee86e0e72754043
101790.jpg
101791.jpg
101792.jpg
Post edited by calamity_si on
Tagged:

• madman1701amadman1701a339 Posts: 366Member
    Ooh, I like the shape of that! I was planning to do a 3-Nacelle version of my Vengeance as well, when it finally gets done.

-Ricky
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Not sure about the nacelle design and the centre torus of the bridge, but the rest of the design is awesome.
  • bbzwbbzwbbzwbbzw1 Posts: 0Member
    The primary hull reminds me of the driod control ship from the star wars prequels. Nicely modeled.
  • calamity_sicalamity_si361 Posts: 369Member
    Thanks guys,
    Aresius wrote: »
    Not sure about the nacelle design and the centre torus of the bridge, but the rest of the design is awesome.
    I'm still working on those pesky nacelles, I wasn't happy with them either. I know the saucer is a bit 'Star wars droid federationey' but again, workin on it. More updates soon! ;)
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    i like the unusual overall design but think that it may be improved by making the parts smoother and more curved. actually i quite like the nacelles but they should be smoother and less angular as should the rest of the model. i know the vengeance was angular but this would look better smooth. best thing is the surprise you could cause during animating this(my link on converting to blender perhaps) when the camera moves up(or ship turns down) and from what looks like an "ordinary" trek ship you suddenly see that unusual saucer.
  • RekkertRekkert4055 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,305Member
    Nice! You managed to make a 3 nacelled ship I like! :lol:
    The whole design looks very good, is the saucer section inspired by the concept art of the Vengeance? It looks pretty similar.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Thanks for the comments guys. I've been tweaking the engines a bit tonight. I wanted to provide some kind of warp nacelle grille or glowing vent but I also wanted it to look segmented and well-armoured.
    USS INVICTUS 4.jpg
    101795.jpg
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,977Member
    It has potential my friend.
    Go ahead :thumb:
  • meugen06meugen06334 Posts: 5Member
    Nice one.The saucer section reminds me of Trade Federation ships from SW Ep.1.
    meugen06 wrote: »

Yeah, I've been getting a lot of that reaction on this model. Responding to those comments, I've been working this morning on changing the shape of the saucer cut-out slightly so that it hopefully looks a bit less like the Trade Fed Battleship. The new saucer is shown on the left, the old one on the right. What do you think?

Untitled.jpg
    101808.jpg
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    That's probably why the Vengeance used angles and lines instead of concentric circles to define the gap.
    Saquist wrote: »
    That's probably why the Vengeance used angles and lines instead of concentric circles to define the gap.

Yeah upon playing with it for a while now, I can see that that may indeed be the case. Here's another angle, hot off the press!

USS INVICTUS 5.jpg
    101811.jpg
    Thanks for the comments guys. I've been tweaking the engines a bit tonight. I wanted to provide some kind of warp nacelle grille or glowing vent but I also wanted it to look segmented and well-armoured.
    USS INVICTUS 4.jpg

awesome grid lines and shape of glowing bits.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    I actually don't mind the design of the saucer section, I mean the bridge-section. The central torus looks plainly wrong. Like an overdone stack of pancakes with chocolate between....
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    meugen06 wrote: »
    I was just going to say the same thing and that's the aspect of the ship I did not like. Otherwise, the overall shape and design is pretty cool.
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,283Member
    Not a fan of the JJverse, but at least you decided to combine the superior concept drawing with something traditional.
  • Judge Death.Judge Death.1 Posts: 0Member
    I really can't see the point of the open saucer with a lot of space in it, it makes the sacuer bigger for the same volumn.

Now one idea might be a honking phaser cannon mounted between the ends of the saucer that was so fraking big and generated such a EM field and waste heat load it has to be mounted 'semi externally" to keep from frying the ship with EM emissions and waste heat.

Trek has never been big on 'spinal mount" weapons except for the revised 1710-1 d in the last TNG ep, but you could try it as an experiment.

The cannon could be mounted between the flanges on the front, and they could have big waste heat/coolant plasma vents angled back to vent coolant plasma (Possibly hydrogen collected by the bussards?) above and below the ship while not facing directly forward and making them a harder target. It might have to vent a few tons of superheat coolant as incandescent plasma whenever it fired that monster.

Excess EM byproduct from the cannon itself could be emitted above and below the actual weapon mount in the middle.

I think that one klingon vessel in tng, vorcha class(?), had a cannon for a nose so the idea could be given some trek validity.

Another option, a little less trekish but still valid could be to leave the saucer front as it but have those flanges generate a containment field that a huge amount of energized plasma (or for a real bang, anti matter based plasma. Oh my!) was pumped into and released at a target, sort of like a fed attempt to copy/improve on the romulan weapon seen in 'balance of terror".
    That's exactly what I've been working on. Good call! What do you think?

USS INVICTUS 6.jpg
    101876.jpg
    And another angle...

USS INVICTUS 7.jpg
    101878.jpg
    NOW I know what's so familar...those are Jemhadar Warp nacelles!
    ----
    I think that stabilizes the design a great deal.
    Saquist wrote: »
    NOW I know what's so familar...those are Jemhadar Warp nacelles!
    ----
    I think that stabilizes the design a great deal.

Weeeell, yeah, ya got me! Keen eye there Saquist, I tip my hat to you sir. In my defence, it wasn't a case of being lazy. I genuinely thought the shape, with several modifications, would suit this overall design. In any case, even the sfx crew from the old star trek days were known to re-use parts etc...but thank you.

Actually, I must add a big thank you to everyone here who has commented and critiqued this design. Without your constructive observations and suggestions, this design would not have evolved as much as it has done. So cheers!:thumb:
    Here are some basic Sketchup orthos as well...
    Attachment not found.
    I think the nacelles were a good idea, Nacelles can make or break the look of a ship
    ---
    The front view is the most interesting.
    And another angle...

USS INVICTUS 7.jpg

Damn good ideas, keep at it. The idea of a specifically designed warship having the biggest gun possible could be a good one.

You might want to add some sort of targeting scanners to the ends of the supports to make it look like a stereoscopic targeting system for maximum aiming accuracy, just an idea.
    Today's progress...(Including those scanners you mentioned, Judge Death):thumb: I'll try to post some more if I can render them in time.

Attachment not found.
    That's exactly what I've been working on. Good call! What do you think?

USS INVICTUS 6.jpg

nice as this spinal mounted weapon is i think it was better when you just had a cylindrical bridge at the centre and a sliced saucer as you did a few posts previously.
    Today's progress...(Including those scanners you mentioned, Judge Death):thumb: I'll try to post some more if I can render them in time.

Attachment not found.

very nicely textured but i think the texture should be higher resolution to avoid the graininess. nice two tone grey patterning on the lower hull at the rear.

Attachment not found.

Does need higher rez textures, but looking good.
    Sometimes less is more, so I've decided to release two versions of the ship. This one does not have the phaser lance or third nacelle. I have also replaced the central bridge core with something a little more robust looking. All in all, I think the ship looks a bit more simple and graceful.

USS INVICTUS Vs2.jpg
    Attachment not found.
    Attachment not found.
    101911.jpg
    There are a lot of aspects of this design I really like....That complex around the central core is interesting... This has a some real potential.