Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D2004 SFM contest winner: The Shipwreck

CoolhandCoolhand287 Mountain LairPosts: 1,296Member
edited June 2013 in Finished Work #1
Digging through a stack of ancient, crusty (literally beginning to rot) backup CDR's and found this model. Back in the day, when we had contests and prizes here, a young, sprightly wide-eyed with wonder version of Coolhand had something of a winning streak.:D This particular contest had something to do with a shipwreck, I also recall a rule about a monochrome palette (which I shamelessly ignored with the sky) and no textures or something.

This is why there's little variety of colour in the scene. I still think its a pretty interesting scene for what it is, roughly 250,000 triangles, it was probably a struggle to render this on the machine I had at the time. Obviously it rendered somewhat faster on the modern machine I'm using today.

The settlement might be the descendants of the old crew or some other colonists, the ship an old battle wagon fallen from the stars above in some long forgotten conflict... I've revisited this shipwreck theme in more recent professional projects for Irrealis and Halo IV, Spartan Ops, it's always a lot of fun, I guess this was my first shot at it.

The only change I've made is an added gradient in post, its very simply lit with very simple old fashioned materials, so really not looking for critique or feedback on this near 10 year old project.

I doubt this image is anywhere else on the internet, all the contest archives lost with the great SFM server crash of '06 so maybe some of the oldies here like me will enjoy a blast from the past.:) (I know, any excuse to re-post my old crap:D) I think the second place was won by Craig (Sphynx) with a great outer-space scene, I don't recall any of the others but if you entered this contest in the past feel free to remind us, I do like a bit of nostalgia in my old age:)
101733.jpg
Post edited by Coolhand on
Tagged:

• IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    I think I was too nooby in 2004 to do something like this
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    very good, would like to see what the ship looked like when it was operational. in 2004 i hadn't even heard of sketchup, let along even thought of doing 3d modelling...
  • Knight26Knight26192 Posts: 838Member
    Very cool blast from the past their coolhand, makes me wish there was some archive of all your old works out there especially your old cold war in space stuff.
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    I remember this well, I don't think I entered this one, might have been right around the time I first joined.

Plus in 2004 I was a little busy with getting a new job, moving out, getting married, and having a kid.

Ok, the wife did most of the last one, still busy year.
  • CoolhandCoolhand287 Mountain LairPosts: 1,296Member
    IRML wrote: »
    I think I was too nooby in 2004 to do something like this

Surely not. Maybe it was all the car crashes I was involved in around the late 90's / early 2000's or something else but I have no memory of you ever being a n00b either.:D

Knight, You clearly haven't been paying enough attention to my blog...! Thats where I concentrate on documenting my work these days, primarily because it should be stored indefinitely on a blog where I have full control over the content.

It's a real shame so much has been lost here over the years, not just my stuff but so much good stuff by other people. I've still got most of the models and wip pics stored away and in the process of re-documenting much of this stuff, but the actual SFM posts, and the entertainment, information, fights and weird **** they provided are so much dust in the wind. (Probably for the best:D) Wayback is nice to see how the place looked, but of course the forum posts are not stored just the front page I think.

my pic isn't on there btw (oddly), but second and 3rd are... The winning pic can be seen in my SFM gallery - which is the only part of the site to not get scrubbed in the last 7 years.

If anyones counting, this is technically my 20th year of 3D... Though I didn't get seriously into it until maybe 2002 (to busy living a real life or something, who knows) so it was maybe about 2 years practice until competent enough to win a contest here... I think the Ferion competition was the first one.
    Must remember to look at your blog tonight, all blogs are blocked by default at work.
    yeah I've thought the same before, it's a shame so much work has been lost over the years, I don't know what the deal is with server space
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Great stuff, Coolhand. It's fun sometimes to look back. Considering the time and what you knew back then VS what you know now and the equipment you were using, that's a great image. We're not even going to talk about how bad my crap from 2004 looked. ;) I didn't join the community here until late 2005 or early 2006, so I definitely missed this contest. Besides, my skills back then wouldn't have been able to compete with something that cool. :D
  • 3DTEKO63DTEKO6171 Posts: 12Member
    Those contests back in the day were really fun. I went to school for this stuff.... ended up in GUI/Interactive design... ended up moving on entirely :( I come here to live viscerally through all the artists work. In '04 that image was pretty much on par with the Star Wars eps that were coming out. imo.
    Well, I dunno if what I knocked together in a couple of weeks of spare time (to be fair I had quite a lot of it at that point) was really on a par with Hollywood's finest,;) but thanks:D It's a nice scene though I think, I definitely wanted to emphasise the human aspect, so the large impressive shipwreck was really just a backdrop to a settlement scene - which in turn adds depth and scale to the wreck. Anyway, I must have run out of time because I'm sure there was much more I'd wanted to do with it in terms of habitation, more densely packed dwellings, washing on lines, storefronts, more people, animals, vehicles, hustle and bustle etc.

But thats the great thing about a contest - sure, literally anyone, given enough time, can produce immense works, it's when you're up against the clock that it really counts because in a production scenario you're typically operating on a strict schedule, take too long to model something you risk holding up other aspects of production or worse, your model might get used un-finished! When you're considering the effects in a movie, you have to bear that in mind as much as the large teams and expensive hardware.
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,977Member
    I do remember of this contest, and others too.
    ItA’s really sad the lost of to much information along the years... In my mind I have some vague memories of renderings and threads that I would like to see again.
    Hey Steve, are you feeling old just under 33? Wait until you have 48, like me... :lol: Other day I got myself inspecting my collection of old meshes (not build by me) which I collected since 1997, and thinking about how they would look if built today. Things originally built by (just to name a few) Don Showalter, Andrew March, Cyrille Lefevre (Tachy), Tom Bijl (Cooper), Thomas Bronzwaer, Marc Laurent (Magma), Andrew Hodges (Devilman), Dak Phoenix and many others.
    Saudosism? Yes, like any other old man. :)
    Starship wrote: »
    I do remember of this contest, and others too.
    ItA’s really sad the lost of to much information along the years... In my mind I have some vague memories of renderings and threads that I would like to see again.
    Hey Steve, are you feeling old just under 33? Wait until you have 48, like me... :lol: Other day I got myself inspecting my collection of old meshes (not build by me) which I collected since 1997, and thinking about how they would look if built today. Things originally built by (just to name a few) Don Showalter, Andrew March, Cyrille Lefevre (Tachy), Tom Bijl (Cooper), Thomas Bronzwaer, Marc Laurent (Magma), Andrew Hodges (Devilman), Dak Phoenix and many others.
    Saudosism? Yes, like any other old man. :)

Pfft, 48, still a kid my friend :)

I prefer to think of it as experience gained more than agility, visual acuity, teeth etc lost.just hang in there, new terrifying robot bodies for all are on the way:D

Speaking of ancient hardware, I'm not posting this on one of my usual PC's. Tonight I have basically finished a 2 year long project to restore an old Amiga 1200 - MY A1200, which I first experimented with digital art on. Amazingly I can setup networking on it and log in here, OK its been improved in many ways with some newer (see-expensive) bits and peices but well, I'm impressed anyway...

My first internet post on my oldest computer in a thread about some old work talking about old times. I'm not sure what saudosism is, but I expect this is a good example of.
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,977Member
    Coolhand wrote: »
    Pfft, 48, still a kid my friend :)

I prefer to think of it as experience gained more than agility, visual acuity, teeth etc lost.just hang in there, new terrifying robot bodies for all are on the way:D

Speaking of ancient hardware, I'm not posting this on one of my usual PC's. Tonight I have basically finished a 2 year long project to restore an old Amiga 1200 - MY A1200, which I first experimented with digital art on. Amazingly I can setup networking on it and log in here, OK its been improved in many ways with some newer (see-expensive) bits and peices but well, I'm impressed anyway...

My first internet post on my oldest computer in a thread about some old work talking about old times. I'm not sure what saudosism is, but I expect this is a good example of.

Oh yeah... robot bodies! Well, I already have a platinum screw in my arm since 80A’s. :lol:
    Talking about the Amiga, yes, IT IS (a big) saudosism. :lol: So you managed to put it working again after all these years?!?! :o Yes, it is really impressive!
    I think it would be 'nostalgia'. It was to be fair, mostly still working aside from floppy and keyboard. I won't bore you with details but it's had a lot of work to improve its performance. Now its all up and running its very nice to play the old games and listen to the vast amounts of tracker-music on the proper hardware, even using it through an old CRT TV for that nostalgic dose of radiation - you can emulate this system very capably with WinUAE but its just not the same.:D