Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Polling for interrest in walkthrough Enterprise or Voyager

sidjesidje0 Posts: 0Member
edited May 2013 in General Discussion #1
Has anyone ever seen or heard of a true walk around in a starship like the Enterprise or Voyager (Star-Trek). I'm creating one in Unity, but i wanted to hear from the community if this would be a good project.

I'm trying to accuratly making a Voyager walthrough, from the television series, without carracters though. Did one deck as a proof of concept of walking around on it and sliding doors open and stuff. From one deck to the other is based on a turbolift console... wish i could speak to the thing just like in the series.

Say your 0.02$!
Post edited by sidje on
Tagged:

• spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    could be interesting to see a walkthrough( guess you mean a 3d model of the whole interior). you may have aproblem with the fact that the people who designed the inside were not necessarily working with the designers of the outside so the interior might not fit properly within the hull.
    could be interesting to see a walkthrough( guess you mean a 3d model of the whole interior). you may have aproblem with the fact that the people who designed the inside were not necessarily working with the designers of the outside so the interior might not fit properly within the hull.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I've seen a couple projects like that, but usually with the TOS ship. Voyager definitely sounds interesting.

The best walkthroughs I've ever seen are in games, and you never get the full interior. I know there are some people (me included) who would love to just wander around the inside of a starship exploring. :)

What? This is Star Trek. They wouldn't do anything like that! :p

Seriously, you're right. That's an all too common problem with Star Trek ships. The later ships are usually better, but some of the earlier ones are bad when it comes to stuff matching up. (unless you count JJ Abrams' Star Trek, then it all gets FUBAR again with the water treatment plant being way too big to fit into the ship) For example, I tried lining up a deck plan with normal sized decks to the window layout on the TOS Enterprise once. It literally doesn't work. If you line up one section, another is off. And some sections just won't line up to a deck plan at all. You get things like windows in between decks, it's horrible.
    What? This is Star Trek. They wouldn't do anything like that! :p

Seriously, you're right. That's an all too common problem with Star Trek ships. The later ships are usually better, but some of the earlier ones are bad when it comes to stuff matching up. (unless you count JJ Abrams' Star Trek, then it all gets FUBAR again with the water treatment plant being way too big to fit into the ship) For example, I tried lining up a deck plan with normal sized decks to the window layout on the TOS Enterprise once. It literally doesn't work. If you line up one section, another is off. And some sections just won't line up to a deck plan at all. You get things like windows in between decks, it's horrible.
    and that is why if you wish to model the full interior and exterior of a starship you are probably better off designing one yourself...

if it can work for voyager it will be pretty awesome (though i'd rather see a klingon bird of prey or the valdore from nemesis).
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0qdM0s3v8o

maybe you should try and get in touch with these guys
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    I love the abilities of what the CryTek CryEngine 3 can do, the level of realism is phenomenal... a friend of mine is working on the exterior Titanic model for a game called "Titanic: Honor and Glory" and the exterior and interior models looks amazing so far...

I don't think these renders are from inside the gaming engine... but they're using CryEngine 3.
    705664_537062286306709_50829002_o.jpg
    819155_554832507863020_109020868_o.jpg
    665251_526135044066100_1346382222_o.jpg

The model is made by Kyle Hudak, who also made the Virtual Sailor Titanic model you've probably seen me using.

I definitely recommend CryEngine.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • sidjesidje0 Posts: 0Member
    thanks sapcefighter and evel_genius.

That the interior and exterior don't match up is true. A little tweek and alittle stretch here and there took me a long way allready. What is even worse is that tables in one area seem to small while the lavatories or crew quarters seem very big indeed. Would like to post a wip in a unity web player here on the site so you can all evaluate the work. anyone how to do this or do i talk to the admins?
    About the interior, i really would like to build the full interior, every nook and crany, every machine..will take me years, but it's a labour of love. I've found a good corridor pack and holodeck pack allready here, kudos to the makers (spynet) to work with modules.
    For now, there is a deck layout for 13 decks and a turbo lift to go from one deck to the next. Still have to do the console thing.

thanks for the replies, i'll keep the forum posted
  • sidjesidje0 Posts: 0Member
    Besides when you are inside the vessel, you are not outside the vessel and vice versa... so if the two don't match up 100%, who will notice? (it's just that i will know)