Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DThe Prime Alternative

madman1701amadman1701a339 Posts: 366Member
edited May 2014 in Finished Work #1
Hey guys...

A few of you might remember a couple of years ago, (Almost 3 now!) when I had just about disappeared from the site. I was working on my first commissioned project, which led to all kinds of good things.

My now good friend Rick Carthew contacted me back in 2010, wanting me to build a 3D mock up of his ideal version of the Enterprise. He was going to have a Studio Quality model built to display, but wasn't exactly sure what it would look like. It took 6 months, but we got it finished, and ended up doing a shuttle and drydock too.

The physical model is currently being built... much of it by 3D printing my 3D parts. It's really neat to see parts I've been looking at on the screen forever become real.

We were going to wait until the model was finished to release any pictures, but we decided to go ahead and do it now. In the latest Into Darkness Sulu clip, we see a newer Design shuttlecraft that looks an awful lot like the one we did for this project.

Shuffle2.jpg

After I finished the 3D model, We ended up making several videos, a bunch of wallpapers that I have been dying to show you guys. As a teaser, here is a sample of the kind of stuff I've been doing with it:

Shuffle1.jpg

I've got a bunch of stuff up now at http://madshipyard.com/ThePrimeAlternative/ ... you guys go take a look and tell me what you think.

Later, guys...

-Ricky
101513.jpg
Post edited by madman1701a on
JES
Tagged:

• spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    interesting model, and 3d printing it? very cool!
    did you have to go through the nightmare of preparing the model by ensuring it was a simple outer shell with no non manifold parts? how are you doing it, with a printer or through some online service.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That's some sweet stuff, Madman. Firstly, congratulations on the paid work. It's always good when you can get it. Secondly, I like what you guys did with the ship. It reminds me of what Deg did when he designed his "1.5" Enterprise. You didn't change the overall design of the ship much, you just added some logical things like deflector shield grids, weapons, thrusters, etc. It's very tastefully done. In fact, I wish JJ Abrams had taken this approach because, in my opinion, this is tastefully done whereas the 2009 film ship is fugly. The shuttle looks good, kind of TOS meets JJ Trek. If there's one like it in the new film, I'll bet John Eaves had something to do with it. ;) The dock is very Enterprise-ish, from what I can tell from that one picture. But, that's not a bad thing, I like Enterprise. Overall, very nice work on everything. I really like your images on the site to which you linked. :)
  • RekkertRekkert4046 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,304Member
    I like the new Enterprise, but I absolutely love the shuttlecraft. It is indeed very similar to the new one from Into Darkness, but that doesn't make it any less perfect.
    Your renders are also pretty cool and varied, some of them are very original, like "Asteroids" with the RCS thrusters activated.

We need pics of that physical model! :)
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • madman1701amadman1701a339 Posts: 366Member
    Thanks guys!

The guys that are building the physical model are taking care of tweaking the model for printing, but I need to learn to do that, because I want to buy a Makerbot2 soon. :)

So far this has been my only commissioned job, and it was a lot of fun collaborating back and forth on things. That process really pushed me to learn how to do new things, and made the end result better.

The physical model is coming along... I just got pics today of some of the 3d printed parts; the engine pylons, bridge, and impulse engines are all done already. When they get it all in one piece, I'm going to drive down and take a look. :)

-Ricky
    maybe design some other shuttles or fighters/bombers as well.i only just found the link on your madshipyadrprimealternative page leading to the renders.
    Yeah, this page http://www.madshipyard.com/ThePrimeAlternative/theship.htm has most of the renders on it. Got a bunch here, too. :) http://www.madshipyard.com/wallpaper.htm

-Ricky
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    Wow! That was incredible. I really liked the videos, especially the TV credits.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    I REALLY love that shuttle.
  • largolargo331 Posts: 0Member
    Well holy ****!
  • PossumPossum0 Posts: 0Member
    Very nicely done! Far better than the JJprize!

I especially like your treatment of the front end of the nacelles (Bussard collectors).

Good job!
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Sweet Jesus!!!!

Excellent work all around Ricky! :thumb:
  • 1701TPA1701TPA5 Posts: 0Member
    Possum wrote: »
    Very nicely done! Far better than the JJprize!

I especially like your treatment of the front end of the nacelles (Bussard collectors).

Good job!

Thanks for all the kind words - here is a early animation Ricky Wallace built that has a nice slow pass of the Nacelle Domes (no Bussard collectors for us here) Check this out... http://www.mediafire.com/file/a4yhc9fcq7k5w2a/PlanetsTest_HD.wmv
    let us know what you think...
    FYI > On the 1/350 scale Physical model the Nacelle Domes have Custom electric motors (silent) that rotate two sets of visible fan blades, with special gold lighting FX motion effects on the forward end of each warp nacelle - Think design fusion of TOSE + JJprise Domes)
    5_Flyby_Domes 1.jpg
    101615.jpg
    JES
    largo wrote: »
    Well holy ****!

ALL project Orthos & Wallpapers & Vid > http://madshipyard.com/ThePrimeAlternative/index.htm
    101616.jpg
    JES
    nice detailing and nacelles on the latest model, maybe try some more different designs next.
    nice detailing and nacelles on the latest model, maybe try some more different designs next.
    Thanks :) -- The CG build part of this project, "The Prime Alternative", was completed by Ricky Wallace back in May 2010 < he built all the models, (Enterprise, Shuttle, Space dock, travel pods, worker bees) wallpapers, animations etc... everything for this project!

SEE complete PA project website of CG models:Orthos, Wallpapers & Vid here
    >http://madshipyard.com/ThePrimeAlternative/index.htm

FYI: 1701 PRIME ALTERNATIVE Studio FX - 1/350 scale build

> by Rick Carthew and Ricky Wallace AFTER the Great Matt Jefferies and Gene Roddenberry; with canon design cues borrowed from a host of brilliant Star Trek SFX / VFX Artists; from 1966 to 2009

> This film quality 1/350 scale model Built by a former ILM veteran SFX model builder over the last 2 1/2 + years

> The entire Physical model was created via rapid prototyping using master components generated directly from CG files supplied by Ricky Wallace.

Note: This 1701 PRIME ALTERNATIVE Enterprise is a one to one size match to Master Replicas Studio Scale Enterprise 1/350 scale.10_PandoraOrbit_1920v3.jpg
    101641.jpg
    JES
    Thanks for all the compliments, guys. :)

-Ricky
    1PunchItV2_Final v.jpgCopy of WarpSpeed_Final n.jpg
    Lonewriter wrote: »
    Wow! That was incredible. I really liked the videos, especially the TV credits.

Thanks :) -- Ricky did a fantastic job with each element of this project called on him to do... Outstanding Work!
    101804.jpg101805.jpg
    JES
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    Oh wow, this is just gorgeous!
    TrekMD wrote: »
    Oh wow, this is just gorgeous!

Thanks for the kind words :)

ALL Prime Alternative ORTHOS, WALLPAPERS, VIDEOS LINK HERE
    http://madshipyard.com/ThePrimeAlternative/index.htmPandoraRings_Final 1.jpg
    101843.jpg
    JES
    Well deserved! You've taken the original designs and enhanced them enough to look great while keeping them very much aligned to their original look. Much more fitting than what was done by JJ's team insofar as the ships and the Trek tech.
    TrekMD wrote: »
    Well deserved! You've taken the original designs and enhanced them enough to look great while keeping them very much aligned to their original look. Much more fitting than what was done by JJ's team insofar as the ships and the Trek tech.

Thank's TrekMD... that was our mission :)
    ...Ricky and I are very happy and so very proud that; so many outstanding artists, across all of the CG & physical model blogs, believe that we have truly hit the mark, with all of our enhancements to this Great Lady!

10_Flyby_LandingV2.jpg

And, I of course agree with your last statement as well :)

but... I do love ST09 and very happy the franchise id BACK!
    101879.jpg
    You're welcome! :)
    1701TPA wrote: »
    [/B]

Thank's TrekMD... that was our mission :)
    ...Ricky and I are very happy and so very proud that; so many outstanding artists, across all of the CG & physical model blogs, believe that we have truly hit the mark, with all of our enhancements to this Great Lady!

10_Flyby_LandingV2.jpg

And, I of course agree with your last statement as well :)

but... I do love ST09 and very happy the franchise id BACK!

very good image there.
    very good image there.

08_PandoraAsteroidsFinal.jpg
    101900.jpg
    PrimeTimeTravel_V2.jpg

ALL Prime Alternative ORTHOS, WALLPAPERS, VIDEOS LINK
    www.1701PrimeAlternative.com
    101948.jpg
    [video=vimeo;66065587]