Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Wars Imperial Walker AT-AT

2»

• greeblegreeble174 Posts: 0Member
    My animation skills are weak at best but I would love to see this walk! I will definitely give it a go. Looking forward to doing some nice textures first!

References are mostly from modelermagic.com. I've been looking at stills from the Battle of Hoth too and I've noticed 1 or 2 discrepancies with those references. This one in particular is different on the model used in the film. In the movie there is a piece of armour platting in this section but on the models there is a weird looking cylinder shape. i modeled both options and I like the armour plate one better. The other one looks out of place.

1.JPG
    2.JPG

Apart from that the refs are great. There are some very impressive physical pieces of work out there!
    102339.JPG102340.JPG
    1.JPG 98.2K
    2.JPG 200K
  • stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    Yeah, a great site for reference, that's for sure. I found my self in the same position with my AT-AT build, having found differences between each studio model (which is typical). In the end it just came down to which one I liked the most. :)

When it came to rigging and animation, my first couple of attempts were very enlightening, and ugly. :) At first I rigged the legs as if they functioned normally, like, say, on an elephant, but something wasn't working right. It took me a while to figure it out, and after pouring over the material in the films for hours you start to get a sense as to what is actually happening mechanically. Only one leg moves at a time (not a problem), but when one leg is in motion, the others lock their knee joints so that they can't bend. This makes all the sense in the world when you treat it as a stop motion problem. The feet on the ground are screwed into place, and when a step is taken, the screw is released a little bit per frame (gradually releasing the spring in the feet that allows for the compression) allowing the foot to eventually leave the ground and take a step, after which it is screwed (from underneath) into it's final position, again, a little tighter each frame for the compression. Because the other feet are screwed down and the knees are locked (the hip and ankle joints remain active), it allows the animator to ease the entire body forward for the step, maintaining the vehicle's balance.

Long story short, there are two IK chains running down each leg, allowing each knee to lock when not being used. Something to keep in mind as you move forward (so to speak :) ).

Try to ignore the animation, it's only a rig test:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9E0QMAOozw

Don't mean to hijack (and I apologize if I did), just trying to save you some of the pain that I went through. :) Can't wait to see more!
    That movement looks great! Nice job. Looks like you got it spot on! Thanks for the tips.
    Well I'm done modelling on this bar some optimisation here and there. Here's some renders of the final model. I threw in some wire frame renders too, I promise I'll clean up some of those unnecessarily high poly pieces (don't' judge me! :) )

Texture time....
    102413.jpg102414.jpg102415.jpg102416.jpg102417.jpg102418.jpg102419.jpg
    Greeble_Gremlin
    Very nice. :)
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Sweet. Very clean mesh.
  • kippakippa0 Posts: 0Member
    Excellent work! How many hours did it take you roughly to make this beast from the beginning?
    kippa wrote: »
    Excellent work! How many hours did it take you roughly to make this beast from the beginning?

I've been at it on and off since early May. Kinda hard to say even roughly how many hours i've put in. This has been a black hole of time. I've lost track of time so many times in modelling this and what you think is half an hour would actually end up being 2 hours. I've had some many cups of tea go cold on me ;-)

A wild guess here I'd say upwards of 80 to 100 hours. Maybe more....
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    I wouldn't doubt that you put in that many hours. I built the AT-AT before and it does take a long time. BTW, great model.

Al
  • anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    looks great! now we just need a shot of it sitting down with a hurt knee.... hehehe
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Fantastic model. I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks with the textures. :thumb:
    starting working on the textures.....
    102649.jpg102650.jpg102665.jpg
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice work mate, looking forward to seeing this fully textured! :)
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    nice work.
    thanks guys! quick update on the texturing progress
    102772.jpg102773.jpg102776.jpg
    texturing finished at last!
    102873.jpg102874.jpg102875.jpg102876.jpg102877.jpg102878.jpg
    It looks great, nice work. :D
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    great job you did there!
  • DarkSapiensDarkSapiens174 Posts: 0Member
    Whoa, awesome : D
    Had a go at some compositing and came up with this. I love anything WW2 and this is an amazing photo!
    104733.jpg
    After a short break from 3D stuff I started playing around with rigging, bones, animation and I decided to give animating the AT-AT a go. It's a short 8 step sequence but it was a great learning exercise. Learnt loads about rigging and rendering!
    The render is a short 13 sec mental ray render with some motion blur. Some issues with flicker due to some final gather problems that I need to look into but it's fine for testing. Eventually I'll try to composite this into a nice scene (another sharp learning curve ahead!)

https://youtu.be/PYwWLaHWxcU
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Looking good.

:thumb:
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972322 Posts: 1,202Member
    That looks awesome.
    Yes, very impressive. :)
    Thanks for the comments guys!
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Good movement and weight to it.
    Coming along nicely. :)
    I've been playing with render element and compositing. Picked a random HQ scene from the web just to practice on, probably could of picked something easier! Shadows are a bit messy, need some work. Direct/Indirect illumination looks good I think.

https://youtu.be/69M6a10rEYE
    Not bad at all. Like you said, it needs some work, but it's definitely coming along nicely. :)