Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DRecreating the NX-01

• tommygdawgtommygdawg0 Posts: 0Member
    Howdy all!

While I've enjoyed the discussion, I thought I'd bring it back to the thread topic :) I've been a bit delayed because I've been working hard on the saucer. I decided to redo it entirely from scratch. There were a few mesh flow and texturing issues, plus a few small issues where it was inconsistent with the show model. These were just bugging the heck out of me, so finally I decided to start it over completely! The good news is that I'm being much more mindful of poly count this time. The overall ship has gone from around 3-4million to around 1.7million, so that'll be a huge boon to working on shots later. Also, once I finally finish the model completely, I plan to release it for anyone who'd like to use it or play with it :)

Until I get the new textures done for the saucer, I've got a shot of engineering here, getting some more details in the sides of the room. Still a ways to go, but getting all the nooks and crannys in :)

engineering_wip07.jpg
    103579.jpg
  • New HomelandsNew Homelands1 Posts: 0Member
    tommygdawg wrote: »
    Also, once I finally finish the model completely, I plan to release it for anyone who'd like to use it or play with it :)
    engineering_wip07.jpg

Three Cheers for tommygdawg! Your work is always top notch and I'm looking forward to seeing the new saucer. Poly-count is something which always rockets out of control whenever I try to model anything, congratulations on being able to reduce it so drastically.
    Three Cheers for tommygdawg! Your work is always top notch and I'm looking forward to seeing the new saucer. Poly-count is something which always rockets out of control whenever I try to model anything, congratulations on being able to reduce it so drastically.

Thanks!! Yeah it took me a while to get a good grasp on poly count. The saucer was one of the first things I worked on when I first started getting back into modeling last December-ish. I was quite rusty, and so now having spent literally hundreds of hours with 3DS Max, there was just a lot of things under the hood that were really pissing me off. One of them was me thinking I had to subdivide EVERYTHING lol. It's getting there.

Here's a WIP picture of the new saucer with aztecs going on.
    ship_wip79.jpg

It's a slow, painstaking process. I decided this time to do the aztecs in a slightly higher resolution (8192*8192 instead of 6144*6144), and I also decided to be much more precise. I used the original aztec patterns I created in Max as my guide, fit them to the new saucer, and then basically have redrawn everything in Photoshop so it's much more clean and neat. All of the lines and grids are matching up and all of the circles are rounded just right and so on. It's very slow, but it will be worth it :)
    103591.jpg
  • Hunter GHunter G1925 Posts: 544Member
    I just found this thread, and it's awesome! I can't wait to see the film. Also, I love the model, wonderful detail! I like how it says "render time: 5 min". With a model like that, my computer would render for 4 hours, then die. :/
  • Chris2005Chris2005679 Posts: 3,097Member
    Hunter G wrote: »
    I like how it says "render time: 5 min". With a model like that, my computer would render for 4 hours, then die. :/

Same, haha.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • BorklessBorkless171 Posts: 0Member
    Looking very slick as always! loving the work on the engineering section, should be interesting to see how you integrate it with the green-screen.
    Hunter G wrote: »
    I just found this thread, and it's awesome! I can't wait to see the film. Also, I love the model, wonderful detail! I like how it says "render time: 5 min". With a model like that, my computer would render for 4 hours, then die. :/

Thank you!! Which picture are you talking about? Believe me, not all my render times are that fast! Lol. That opening shot of the ship in the vlog took a few days to render :'(
    Borkless wrote: »
    Looking very slick as always! loving the work on the engineering section, should be interesting to see how you integrate it with the green-screen.

Thank you! It'll be fun definitely! I'm planning on doing a vlog soon on engineering once I get it all finished it up :)

In the meantime, I've been preparing for this Saturday! The first day of shooting! I'm so excited and I've been working my butt off to make sure everything is prepared and ready to go. Uniforms are ready, actors are ready, etc. Let's just hope it all goes according to plan. Due to that, I haven't gotten a TON done, but here's my progress so far on the new aztecs...

saucer_web.jpg (scaled down from the massive 8k original)
    103622.jpg
  • Sovereign_001Sovereign_0010 Posts: 0Member
    Looks great! Keep it up!
  • CaptainjerkyCaptainjerky62 Posts: 0Member
    Wow. I watched that whole first vblog entry with you on the bridge and figured some of the background elements or monitors were CG. Then you stepped off the platform and dropped the overlay and I fell over. That is damn fine stuff! Looks better than some of the goofy crap Lucas did in the prequel trilogy where the lighting looks like badly placed spots on the actor's heads and the shadows are all wrong. Awesome job!
    Wow. I watched that whole first vblog entry with you on the bridge and figured some of the background elements or monitors were CG. Then you stepped off the platform and dropped the overlay and I fell over. That is damn fine stuff! Looks better than some of the goofy crap Lucas did in the prequel trilogy where the lighting looks like badly placed spots on the actor's heads and the shadows are all wrong. Awesome job!

Thank you! That's some high praise, I really appreciate it :)

For once, I have something real! A few screenshots of a scene from the film! A week ago, we had our first shoot out in the woods. Don't look now, but here's spoilers: the pictures are from scene 123! What do you all think? :O

shot2_wip.jpg
    shot3_wip.jpg
    shot4_wip.jpg
    103680.jpg103681.jpg103682.jpg
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Nice. So you've adjusted the colour of the background to give the forest a more alien feel? Looks good. Reminds me a little of the alien world at the beginning of Into Darkness.
  • lennier1lennier1918 Posts: 1,286Member
    Nice!

Reminds me of some of the earlier Stargate episodes where they used the same trick to add some variety without a heavy impact on the budget.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804637 Posts: 11,200Member
    Those look great. I too like what you did to the background. And the uniforms look fantastic, really nice work on those.
    Absolutely great work! The more I see of your project and its quality, the more excited I am to see the finished result. From your first blog video to these photos, everything just seems to be getting better. Honestly, I'm anticipating this film as much as I am Star Trek: Renegades.

My one nit-pick is that, had you not said these were shot on-location, I would have thought picture #2 had been green-screened in. I can't quite put my finger on it, but something looks slightly off. Even with that said, I love the look of the photos.

Oh, this one last thing occurred to me, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to do, with the purple leaves, I would expect the actors to have a more purplish hue due to ambient light on the planet.

Keep up the good work, and I'll await your future updates with great anticipation.
  • BlobVanDamBlobVanDam0 Posts: 0Member
    I'll second the minor nitpick that they don't quite fit into the scene. They look a bit too saturated orange, when they should take on more of the pinkish purple hue of their surroundings. Maybe even try brightening them up a bit. In that second pic, I don't feel like the uniform should be that dark, and the highlight from the skin on the head looks a clamped out and low, like it was shot on indoor lighting.

I'm sure it looks a lot better in motion though, as we're scrutinizing still frames here. But overall I love what I'm seeing so far. Keep up the great work!
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    Nice. So you've adjusted the colour of the background to give the forest a more alien feel? Looks good. Reminds me a little of the alien world at the beginning of Into Darkness.

Yeap, though putting it that simply doesn't do justice to the vast amount of rotoscoping going on to get everything just right :'( It was actually Into Darkness that inspired me. I was watching the special features and they mentioned that they originally planned to do the forest as a post coloration effect. I don't know why I didn't think of that before myself! :P
    lennier1 wrote: »
    Nice!

Reminds me of some of the earlier Stargate episodes where they used the same trick to add some variety without a heavy impact on the budget.

Which episodes?! Stargate is (right next to Trek) my all time favorite show. I don't remember pink forests, but it has been quite a while since I've watched the first few seasons lol.
    Those look great. I too like what you did to the background. And the uniforms look fantastic, really nice work on those.

Thanks! Appreciate it, especially on the uniforms :) I think next to the bridge and the NX itself, I've put the most hours into those.
    Absolutely great work! The more I see of your project and its quality, the more excited I am to see the finished result. From your first blog video to these photos, everything just seems to be getting better. Honestly, I'm anticipating this film as much as I am Star Trek: Renegades.

My one nit-pick is that, had you not said these were shot on-location, I would have thought picture #2 had been green-screened in. I can't quite put my finger on it, but something looks slightly off. Even with that said, I love the look of the photos.

Oh, this one last thing occurred to me, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to do, with the purple leaves, I would expect the actors to have a more purplish hue due to ambient light on the planet.

Keep up the good work, and I'll await your future updates with great anticipation.

Thank you! That's a lot of pressure being up there next to Renegades! I'm looking forward to that myself :)
    BlobVanDam wrote: »
    I'll second the minor nitpick that they don't quite fit into the scene. They look a bit too saturated orange, when they should take on more of the pinkish purple hue of their surroundings. Maybe even try brightening them up a bit. In that second pic, I don't feel like the uniform should be that dark, and the highlight from the skin on the head looks a clamped out and low, like it was shot on indoor lighting.

I'm sure it looks a lot better in motion though, as we're scrutinizing still frames here. But overall I love what I'm seeing so far. Keep up the great work!

I'll play around with the colors and see if I can blend them in a bit more. It's quite hard to strike the right balance of purple skin tones and making them look like they're dying :P But, I will say that it does look better in motion. Maybe I'll post a short clip or two to see what you all think :O
  • StormcloudStormcloud2 Posts: 0Member
    looks great but did noticed some desaturation on the edges of the uniforms - so i'm assuming your dropping the saturation and then colourising the background - just wondering if it might not be simpler to selectively adjust the hue since its mostly greens etc and well not to much green in your crew - could still mask them off but wouldn't need to be so careful - then again colourising and changing hue is very different so maybe not
    Looking amazing! Video editing really isn't my forte, but what you've got looks great!
    Stormcloud wrote: »
    looks great but did noticed some desaturation on the edges of the uniforms - so i'm assuming your dropping the saturation and then colourising the background - just wondering if it might not be simpler to selectively adjust the hue since its mostly greens etc and well not to much green in your crew - could still mask them off but wouldn't need to be so careful - then again colourising and changing hue is very different so maybe not

I'm doing a bit of both. Some shots I have to do a very careful and detailed mask, and other shots I can be very sloppy on it. To change the colors I am basically just adjusting the hue of the greens and then doing a separate grade on the masked actors, seems to work pretty well.
    Looking amazing! Video editing really isn't my forte, but what you've got looks great!

Thank you! Good to hear that from someone who isn't too into video editing :)

In a small update, I have a new shot of the aztecs. I know this is a terrible, terrible render lol. I'm basically just posting this so you all can see the updates to the new saucer :) The reason for the lack of posts is because I've been so crazy working on other stuff for the film. I've been sewing nonstop! Next shoot day is this Thursday! Woot woot!
    ship_wip80.jpg

Also, I've been working on one of the alien interiors! What do you all think?
    arioui_wip_01.jpg
    arioui_wip_02.jpg
    103807.jpg103808.jpg103809.jpg
  • Chris2005Chris2005679 Posts: 3,097Member
    I can't get over how screen accurate the uniforms look...

:eek!:
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804637 Posts: 11,200Member
    The new interior looks great so far. :)
    Top notch as always, as I've said before I'm really looking forward to this. Your digital bridge set you made was ridiculously impressive, so I'm really looking forward to seeing engineering and these most recent interiors textured. Do you have even a guess at when this project will be finished? It's come along at an incredible pace thus far.
    Don't think I can really add anything here other than incoherent fanboying gibberish, so I'll just say this thread is exceedingly awesome and leave it at that!

(As a side note, there gonna be any MACOs in this film?)
    Chris2005 wrote: »
    I can't get over how screen accurate the uniforms look...

:eek!:

Thank you! That's actually really reassuring. Out of everything, I've probably spent the most time on the uniforms so far, considering I had to teach myself how to sew to do it! It's really great to know they look right :)
    The new interior looks great so far. :)

Sweet! Thanks!
    Top notch as always, as I've said before I'm really looking forward to this. Your digital bridge set you made was ridiculously impressive, so I'm really looking forward to seeing engineering and these most recent interiors textured. Do you have even a guess at when this project will be finished? It's come along at an incredible pace thus far.

Thank ya! :) In regards to a timeframe, it's really difficult to say. I'd like to say within a year, but certainly don't hold me to that :P
    Don't think I can really add anything here other than incoherent fanboying gibberish, so I'll just say this thread is exceedingly awesome and leave it at that!

(As a side note, there gonna be any MACOs in this film?)

Thanks! Feel free to continue on with fanboying gibberish, I don't mind lol. I wanted to have MACOs, but I couldn't find a good way to replicate the fabric style of their uniforms without a significant delay in the production process. It's that strange camouflage style, but not exactly camouflage.

In other news, we're having another shoot tomorrow! I'm beyond excited and have been working literally all day to prepare for it. I'll let you all know how it goes :)
    Hey all!

The shoot went great today! Got some really great shots and the scene looks great! There's some behind the scenes photos up on the facebook page. I just got the page up last night, head on over and check it out! https://www.facebook.com/sthorizon

Hey all! The new vlog is out today! While I don't have screenshots at the moment, there's lots of cool stuff discussed in it, like the fact that we've had our second day of shooting! Woot woot! Let me know what you all think :)
    The problem I'm running into is that I'm running out of new ways to praise your work :) This really does look like a quality production from first to last. I can't wait till you have enough to put together a trailer. I think you mentioned in the video that you purchased a domain name, is the website up yet?
    Alright here we go again [Fanboying gibberish of incomprehensible appreciation for cool shiny things]

Well, now that's outta my system, let me say this is looking just as awesome as ever. Those uniforms, as mentioned before, look spot-on! You had me thinking for a second there that you DIDN'T make them, but just darted down to the local military surplus and bought real starfleet jumpsuits. Can't wait to see more!
    The problem I'm running into is that I'm running out of new ways to praise your work :) This really does look like a quality production from first to last. I can't wait till you have enough to put together a trailer. I think you mentioned in the video that you purchased a domain name, is the website up yet?

Oh, don't worry. I'm completely happy with all the old ways of praise! lol. Thank you again, the kind words help keep me going!

The website isn't up just yet. I'm hoping to have that ready in the next week or two, just have to pull another iron out of the fire for a little while to get it done :P
    Alright here we go again [Fanboying gibberish of incomprehensible appreciation for cool shiny things]

Well, now that's outta my system, let me say this is looking just as awesome as ever. Those uniforms, as mentioned before, look spot-on! You had me thinking for a second there that you DIDN'T make them, but just darted down to the local military surplus and bought real starfleet jumpsuits. Can't wait to see more!

Thank you!! Trust me, if I could have bought them from local military surplus, I woulda been on that in a hot second lol. These uniforms have turned out to be the most time consuming and tiring part of the project so far, but it has been an incredible learning experience :)
    Howdy ya'll!

It's been forever since I posted on here, my apologies! I've been working hard and I thought I'd just pop in here to update you all with a few "unofficial" screenshots. I'll be releasing some stuff on the official site and facebook in a few days, but in the meantime, what do you all think?

1484055_10152525110124488_410933899_o.jpg
    1506223_10152525163244488_2097222307_o.jpg

Also, for those of you who haven't seen on the facebook page, I'm almost done with the NX-04/NX-01! Thoughts?
    856784_642492989146639_1443253048_o.jpg
    104202.jpg104203.jpg104204.jpg