Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek fighter

• TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    I like the design in general, and agree it does look very Starfleet-like, but I'm really not feeling the new warp nacelles at all, I much preferred the old ones that looked more streamline. As has already been mentioned many Star Trek ships don't follow the warp nacelle rule you mention, Zefram Cochrane's warp ship for one.
  • ElowanElowan0 Posts: 0Member
    I like the overall 'look' of the ship
  • SakuraTakedaSakuraTakeda1 Posts: 0Member
    Here are Orthos of the fighter as is. I still have a lot to do.
    103678.jpg
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    looks good.
  • kvorshkkvorshk171 Posts: 76Member
    I hate to be a debbie doubter here, but am I the only one that thinks this beautifuly done ship looks like its in the wrong universe? This looks like it belongs in Andromeda to me personally.
    Oh? how so? I've only seen a little of that show, so I apologize if I seem a bit ignorant as to the design cues that would suggest the ship to be from that universe.
    103736.jpg
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    Oh? how so? I've only seen a little of that show, so I apologize if I seem a bit ignorant as to the design cues that would suggest the ship to be from that universe.

andromeda was another series by gene roddenbury, more recent that star trek. it used cgi and all the ships were really curvy. some of the plots were absurd and awful but other episodes were quite fantastic.

nice render but seems to nowt show the detail very well.
    That's because the panelling, etc. is not totally done yet. :)
  • Judge Death.Judge Death.1 Posts: 0Member
    Here are Orthos of the fighter as is. I still have a lot to do.

You know, just looking at the top and bottom views, I'm kind of thinking this might be a cool shi to do if you flipped the ends. Seriously the top and bottom views, in small size, make me thing this could be a really cool looking ship is it were rebuilt to make the ends flipped. With the warp engines being on the foward end it would have a very predatory look to her, in fact I think this would make a beautiful romulan attack ship if the ends were smapped and she was done in in romulan colors.

Hmm, maybe a rom spy stole the plans and they thought as I do? You could get a wqhole new model out of the original idea...
  • StormcloudStormcloud2 Posts: 0Member
    have you considered a version without bussard ramscoops on the nacelles? they really aren't needed for fighter - would give it a more agressive look too - but otherwise looking good
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    Cool design. Looking forward to more of it. :)
    You know, just looking at the top and bottom views, I'm kind of thinking this might be a cool shi to do if you flipped the ends. Seriously the top and bottom views, in small size, make me thing this could be a really cool looking ship is it were rebuilt to make the ends flipped. With the warp engines being on the foward end it would have a very predatory look to her, in fact I think this would make a beautiful romulan attack ship if the ends were smapped and she was done in in romulan colors.

Hmm, maybe a rom spy stole the plans and they thought as I do? You could get a wqhole new model out of the original idea...
    cool idea there.
  • Judge Death.Judge Death.1 Posts: 0Member
    Stormcloud wrote: »
    have you considered a version without bussard ramscoops on the nacelles? they really aren't needed for fighter - would give it a more agressive look too - but otherwise looking good

I'll agree with this. A fighter trades duration for performance and bussards are about duration. As a general thought could you put phaser cannons on the nacelle ends? 2 reasons. the Klingon battle cruiser had disruptors on the nacelle tips. also in sttmp deckard said the enterprise design increased phaser power by channeling them thru the warp engines. this could be an outgrowth of that idea.
    It render's up nicely ^_^
    104070.jpg104071.jpg104072.jpg
    great work on image 2 but some of the hangar could use a little more detail.
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    The fighter looks great in those images. Great job!
    Still plugging away at her. :)
    105919.jpg105920.jpg
  • Cool design.
    I really like it. (Much more without narcelles ;))
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann696 Posts: 1,339Member
    It's lookin' REAL darn good. And I dig the shots of it in the stylish hangar, too (it almost looks like a civilian hangar rather than a ship's hangar. Apparently that fighter is owned by a private citizen who refurbished it to show it off).
    It's lookin' REAL darn good. And I dig the shots of it in the stylish hangar, too (it almost looks like a civilian hangar rather than a ship's hangar. Apparently that fighter is owned by a private citizen who refurbished it to show it off).

Well, you know how it is. fighter development is very hush hush work, so we store the prototype test planes in civilian style hangers. It's that whole "Hiding in plain sight" mentality we have. :P

Here's some more WIP on the cannons and mountings.cannon brackets.jpgcannons housed.jpg
    105926.jpg105927.jpg
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann696 Posts: 1,339Member
    I was thinking it was more of a collector's item, like a hot rod. Like a deactivated gun that's put on display.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804579 Posts: 11,179Member
    The phaser cannons are sweet. :thumb:
    ulimann644 wrote: »
    Cool design.
    I really like it. (Much more without narcelles ;))

I've got to agree. As much as I like both versions, the one without nacelles looks better.
  • stephan_skastephan_ska171 Posts: 0Member
    Great work on that fighter, but ....
    I have to second tats it s really looking better without that nacelles ;)

Good job !!

S.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    I like the weapons.
    Finished guns.jpgFinished guns1.jpgtorpedos.jpg

the underside cannons and torpedos are done. The nacelles are designed to be much like drop tanks or the hyperdrive sled for Jedi Starfighters. You only need them to get from point A to point B very quickly then jettison them from the ship until you need to go back to point A or move on to point C. the warp drive that powers the nacelles is used to charge up the cannons.
    105934.jpg105935.jpg105936.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804579 Posts: 11,179Member
    I'm loving the cannons. :thumb:

Your explanation for the nacelles is logical. They're similar in function to the warp sled attachment on the long range shuttle from TMP.
    i thought the nacelles were a cool feature on here but if they are fitted for part of the mission then dumped that isn't so bad. can the nacelles be recovered though either by another ship or by some special attachment on the fighter itself, if they are dumped completely it doesn't look too cost effective they are surely the most expensive part of the machine, also if they are dumped how is the fighter going to return to base over interstellar distances.
    looking at those cannons i'm guessing they are extended for use and can be retracted for atmo-entry, good thinking.
    the nacelles use their own RCS thrusters to maintain a stationary position until retrieval. When ready for use again, the onboard systems communicate with the airframe and once in position, they begin a docking sequence and connect back to the wings. The same kind of system is used by starship for saucer separation and docking. ;)
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    I really like the trapeze setup for the cannons. I would make one small recommendation, though. Based on whatever atmospheric ability the fighter has I'd say to remove the "hoses" that connect to the top of the cannons and put whatever powers and controls them to be housed within the structure of the trapeze.
    don't even try getting the nacelles to hold station , the amount of fuel they'd need is huge and would lead to the whole nacelle being mainly fuel for the thrusters rather than warp drive. instead have them drift free, perhaps attach to one another by some sort of cable and just have tiny RCS thrusters for the reattaching process once the fighter has flown itself to them. just give them a radar beacon then it the fighter will be easily able to locate them a burn a proportion of it's much larger fuel reserves going to fetch them.