Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3Di got fed up of federation ships being everywhere

metalsnakemetalsnake5 Posts: 0Member
edited June 2013 in Work in Progress #1
its always the federation ships that end up on the forums anywhere and everywhere i'm sure if people wanted they could seriously invade every sector with the number of ships laying around and thus i decided to work on something different i'm sure you know what faction it belongs to

but those who dont ... its the dominion ship based off the battleship but with some minor changes to put my take on it only a top 3/4 perspective view for the minute as the under side and back arent modelled yet
100021.jpg
Post edited by metalsnake on
Tagged:

• spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    good shape but badly in need of some details or textures.
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    good shape but badly in need of some details or textures.

This is the WIP section so comments like that don't need to be stated.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    I agree metalsnake, the star trek fed ships get reguirgitated ad nauseum. I love them sure but there are so many other ships in trek and sci fi. The jem Hadar are on my list too specifically the battle cruiser, the kazon mother ship the scimitar, the gunstar, and the mass effect universe. Sovereign would be awesome as well as the shadow brokers ship.
  • metalsnakemetalsnake5 Posts: 0Member
    its nice to see the comments already up and flowing ... and well put greg .... but to clear things up none the less .... i'm actually building the mesh up with textures applied they where just removed for the render as they needed to be tidied up somewhat

as for details i'm focused on getting the rest of this built up before i dive into its detailing i've actually only built this on one side and then mirrored it over this so the textures line up and look decent ... as i'm still figuring out how to make the uv texture and unfold it .... right bk to work i go hopefully update this tonight
  • peppermanpepperman0 Posts: 0Member
    I think the model is looking good and it is always good to see something other than Federation ships. It seems very few of the modellers go after the other races in Star Trek.
    happy to be of service :) i actually prefer some of the other races over the federation ships in design ... the dominion ones for instance are chunky mean looking ... though seriously who thought pink/purple could be so bad ass haha
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Fed up with the Federation ships. :lol:

Nice start. I like the Dominion warships, it's nice to see one being done. :)
    glad to see someone got the jist of the title lol

anyhow not much of an update render redid the wing as it had a few mesh errors looks alot nicer now imo but here ya go added a few details and got the major stuff done ... just need to do the windows and some more panels .. maybe a few tubes and i'm thinking of redoing the nacelles and as for the warp panels ... i'm thinking of using tubes though not sure on it yet dont want to over do the poly count lol
    100103.jpg
    well last update before sleep .... i've been playing around with textures and so far nothing decent ....

ripped the nacelles off the model and started bashing away at this

any idea's as to what it'll be replacing ?

well if your not sure take a guess .... will tell you what it is / or will be after i've got the full blocking out done
    100114.jpg
    oldmangreg wrote: »
    This is the WIP section so comments like that don't need to be stated.

well stated lol
    Neat. It looks like the start of a bug fighter. (I don't know the technical terminology ;))
    nice guess and correct ... its the dominion attack ship bigger than the fighter but meaner :)
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Nice works.

Indeed, the Federation ships are in majority, but it's kinda logical if you think about it. The most popular races are either the Feds or the Klingons, so they naturally get the most attention.
    well hello there again scifi meshes ... been away from a little bit on business and now that i'm finally back ... i've been continuing work on ST ships of other races other than klingon or federation vessels. Working mainly on dominion ships has finally bought my want to model to a slow crawl but luckily a bright spark idea entered my head after watching an episode from enterprise .... involving andorian ships

sufice to say that seeing the andorian battlecruiser ... and the fact they had become part of the federation i decided to see what an earth built andorian would look like .. and on that note here she is

the karris line of ships flagship ( to my empire haha ) ... the U.S.S. Karris
    100412.jpg
    In the Federation, Andorian cruisers would likely still exist. Member races don't stop building ships or conducting their own space ops just because they joined the Federation. After all, we saw Vulcan ships on TNG. We also saw/heard mention of other races' ships during that era.

That's not to say I don't like it. However, I would like it better without the Starfleet-style nacelles.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    It's an interesting design, but reminds me more to a mix between the Feds, Andorians and Tamarians.

EG is right though, the member races may be free to join Starfleet and serve on these ships, but it's just as likely that the companies, groups, system-patrol organisation, etc. still employ the ships from their own yards. Partially as a sign of pride, partially out of tradition, partially even simply because it's easier to build a design that your race made (since longer than the Federation exists) than some non-native design. After all, we saw a Trill transport, a Vulcan transport, a Medusan courier, a Rigellian freighter, a Hekaran science vessel, and according to Azati Prime, the Klingons are a part of the Federation in 2550 and yet we see a Klingon Vor'Cha in the Battle (though you can expect especially such a proud race to keep their ships, their rank structure, their uniforms separetely intact).
    valid points indeed but i suppose it all depends on how your universe would be ... say maybe in 3202 the andorians lost a war with the tellarites ... maybe the alliance didnt happen for some reason .. i dont know yet maybe the tellarites became part of the alliance and the andorians didnt in which case starfleet in that universe may have sent a strike team to recover data among which was the blueprints for the battle cruiser,

or maybe for some reason the andorians handed over the blue prints and had andorian engineers and starfleet engineers work together to design and build this version ... as it doesnt yet have any back story and needs a major redo anyway ... who knows how it came about :)
  • SolCommandSolCommand172 Posts: 0Member
    Sweet ship models mate ! It's rarely that I see these designs on the net.
    thanks very much SC :)

on a side note ...... i've been checking the layout and trying to get the right amount of decks for my ships intentions ... she works out at 10 decks currently ... a little bigger then the amount i was for but no big deal :) just means adding a few more rooms lol

and trying to do that while basing it on fed designs / ideas is harder than i thought .... primary problem faces crossing through the middle of what should be an empty hull once i can figure the deck plan ... the hull will be redone to be as needed .... even if made in a few sections :D

fyi atm current hull is around 5500 polygons
    so finally got a new nacelle design for this baby .... while not perfect they'll do and will not be changed any further except for details ... the whole model is built in a few parts

rear hull
    nose
    wings
    nacelles

they where kept sepperate to avoid crossing face issues

let me know what you think of the nacelles ... btw the blue is a place holder colour with self illumination
    100587.jpg100588.jpg
    I like the new nacelles. Nice work. :D
  • Judge Death.Judge Death.1 Posts: 0Member
    If you're tired of fed ships, there was a neat ship in that episode with paul winfield, "Darmok" I think it was. There was also a nasty ship in I think it was 'the survivors".

Or you could try redoing the doomsday machine from TOS. I know that the budget and effects were scarce for TOS and that the doomsday machine kind of fulfilled it's intent of being just a giant devouring maw that fired doomsday bolts, but still people have done some damn good reimagining of it, like here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhPjam4MUeY

The redesign was pretty good.
    yeah that looks pretty sweet actually ... though my full intentions are to make fleets ... maybe the odd one or two stand alone ships aswell but not sure on those yet ..... thanks for the pointer though :D
  • Judge Death.Judge Death.1 Posts: 0Member
    Speaking of pointers, there were a lot of ships in the animated trek series that sometimes had good designs despite the horrible animation.

Example:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=star+trek+animated+series&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=CF44704976787CF71AAEE1619E09B5CE2883F581&selectedIndex=730
  • peppermanpepperman0 Posts: 0Member
    Your Andorian battlecruiser looks real nice and those new nacells top it off. I keep my eye on your thread as I too like to watch non-Federation ships come to life. Maybe you can try a Romulan in the future. :)
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    certainly an interesting ship, what type. someone modelling a romulan ship could be nice.
    thanks for the heads up pepperman .... and yeah i may swing for a romulan if i could ever step away from playing STO (star trek online) long enough to create one lol still yet to finish work on the 3 posted in this thread eeeeps .... better get to it right :D
    so in a small break ( from star trek online lol ) i decided i was going to make one fed style ship and after long consideration i came up with a sort of AEON ship refit

the models still got a lot of work to be done including a few pieces that need to be remodelled as usual for me .... but heres a few stats for her

4 impulse engines
    new time disks - what i'm now calling the dilation-shift drive ( thought it sounded cool lol )
    4 chroniton micro-cannons
    the cockpit interior includes --- pilot seat wall steps to get in and out , one replicator and storage space for ground weapons, fire suppressor etc

this ship is crewed by one under normal circumstances but will eventually be able to seat the pilot and 1 passenger

as usual thoughts and suggestions are very welcome guys :)
    101757.jpg
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    Good looking...hate the pocket starships from Voyager but...it is what it is.
    define "pocket ship" ........ but yeah this is in no way a standard shuttle craft ... though its design does give me an idea for an actual shuttle might have to give that a go at some point