Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Blender help with accordian-style tube

First off, I'm using Blender 2.65a 64bit.

What I need help with is this: I need to make a docking tube that extends and contracts similar to an accordian, but also needs to be able to bend left/right and up/down. The tube consists of multiple segments of accordian pleating (4-6 pleats per segment), with non-flexible frames between each segment that the pleats are attached to. I can model it fine, but I'm an almost complete n00b at rigging/animating, which is where I need the help.

The only animating I've done so far is animating landing gear pistons, sliding hatches, and folding wings, using empties, not bones. I know I could probably do it this way, but I can see how it would be extremely complex and messy.

If you have a simpler suggestion for a flexible tube that can move as stated above, I'd love to hear it. I'm not married to the idea of using accordian-style flexible tubing. The only real restriction is that it has to maintain a constant internal width and height.

Please treat me as a complete newb, and explain clearly, because as I said earlier, I've never animated anything this complex, and most tutorials I've seen online (not for this - I can't find anything for this sort of thing - but for just about everything else) seem to expect me to already have an idea of what they are talking about.