Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Studio Max - Smoothing issues...

StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
I was converting the USS Challenger from lightwave to 3dsmax 2009. In the way, I had to rebuild a few pollys and weld a few vertices. After that, the geometry was corrected, but I canA’t find a way to solve the smoothing issues. See the pic attached. Any ideas about how to solve this? :(
99095.jpg
Post edited by Starship on
Tagged:

• MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9796 Posts: 5,323Member
    Go into poly edit mode scroll down and look for smoothing groups select some of the faces that are properly smoothed check the id displayed and set that for those polys with issues. Just make sure to uncheck ones that those problem polys have assigned if any at all ATM it appears as though they have no groups set.

Object needs to be editable poly or mesh. I prefer the prior since it is a proper edit mode.
    smoothinggroups.jpg
    Here I have faces with different groups set so you can see what it looks like when multiple groups are assigned.
    For more info hit the built in tuts on smoothing groups. Might have better explanation.

IF this does not fix them check to see if those faces are part of the mesh by going into loop mode and selecting the whole mesh if you get red lines anywhere around the issues then you have holes doubled verts or edges. If this fails try selecting the edges around the trouble areas. DO NOT just click on them click off and create a selection box cause if you have doubled edges it is the only way to see via the face count displayed in the selection roll down. (SELECT OBJECT tool works since it wont move anything about on you, just select.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Thank you Dan!
    Now I see, I was using that tool and smoothing groups by the wrong way. IA’ll try what you suggested. :thumb:
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    yeah it looks like there's no smoothing on a few of those polys, but imo it's also quite an ugly cut

a wireframe sort of like this would improve poly flow:

Untitled-1.jpg
    99164.jpg
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Thanks Dave!
    IA’ll try that too and see how it works. :thumb: