Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Wars Republic Frigate

MobiusOneMobiusOne0 Posts: 0Member
edited January 2013 in Work in Progress #1
Started modelling my first Star Wars space ship - Republic Frigate.

I'm trying to add as much detail/greeble as possible to the ship (inspired by fractalsponge). Obviously far from his level but I'm trying! The end result will look different from the original Republic Frigate as I add more details to it.

Hope you guys like it so far! And nice meeting you all!
MobiusOne
98883.jpg
Post edited by MobiusOne on
Tagged:

• Randal RRandal R0 Posts: 0Member
    far exceeds my abilities, so feel better.. :D

I think it is looking good ,,,, Models are toys, buttons are not....
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Welcome to the forum. :) That's some really nice work so far.
  • jedi44jedi440 Posts: 0Member
    Great work so far.Love this ship.
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter333 Posts: 0Member
    Looks good - with textures and the right light it could look spectacular!
  • MobiusOneMobiusOne0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks guys, here's some update. I'm still debating whether I should create a full scene, as in having a hangar or something housing the ship or just leave it as is.

I still suck at greeble-ing ships, this is my first pretty much and I gave in and used textures for parts of the ship. Overall I think I did ok for the first one. Hyper detailing really opened my eyes, you gotta think more and more about what kind of details to put all over the ship and sometimes you can't just put a random square on the side but gotta come up with functional greebles like small air vents, thrusters, windows, pipes etc.

Fun stuff!
    98887.png
  • SchmidtFGSchmidtFG210 Posts: 203Member
    Very good work so far!
    you can't just put a random square on the side but gotta come up with functional greebles like small air vents, thrusters, windows, pipes etc.
    So true... and easy to stuck for days even weeks to figure out what would fit to that area.
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,978Member
    Welcome aboard!

Your version does to look very good! :thumb:
    Here's another version, with a slightly different lighting. I still can't figure out how those guys did they lighting for the ships. Is it just one giant "sun" source or pure AO, 3 point lighting or a combination of all/some of these???

Like fractalsponge's destroyer, i see majority of the light from the right side or in front of the ship pointing to the left?
    http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/content.php?143-Thread-Spotlight-Fractalsponge-s-Star-Wars-Projects
    98922.jpg
    That's looking really good. For lighting, I usually use a strong "sun" and a combination of different low level "fill" lights. The amount varies from scene to scene. But, that's just me. ;)
    That's looking really good. For lighting, I usually use a strong "sun" and a combination of different low level "fill" lights. The amount varies from scene to scene. But, that's just me. ;)

Thanks but do you know what Fractalsponge did for his scene? Just curious how
    No, sorry, I'm not sure what Ansel (Fractalsponge) does for his scenes. I do love his lighting, though. :)
    No, sorry, I'm not sure what Ansel (Fractalsponge) does for his scenes. I do love his lighting, though. :)

Thanks, I guess I will have to keep playing around
  • akb1979akb1979172 Posts: 0Member
    MobiusOne wrote: »
    Thanks, I guess I will have to keep playing around

Or drop him a PM and ask. :) Liking this ship.
  • DarkSapiensDarkSapiens174 Posts: 0Member
    Oh wow, I can't believe I missed this one. Very good looking model! Which software are you using?

About the lighting, are you using "soft" shadows for the main light? Maybe switching to hard or area ones will give you better results (I'm speaking in Cinema4D terms, not sure how these are called in other programs, really). If you want to know exactly what did fractalsponge use in the past, I think his Imperial Star Destroyer available in SciFi3D had the complete lighting rig included… http://www.scifi3d.com/details.asp?intGenreID=10&intCatID=8&key=534
    Oh wow, I can't believe I missed this one. Very good looking model! Which software are you using?

About the lighting, are you using "soft" shadows for the main light? Maybe switching to hard or area ones will give you better results (I'm speaking in Cinema4D terms, not sure how these are called in other programs, really). If you want to know exactly what did fractalsponge use in the past, I think his Imperial Star Destroyer available in SciFi3D had the complete lighting rig included… http://www.scifi3d.com/details.asp?intGenreID=10&intCatID=8&key=534

ooo, good idea. Thanks DarkSapiens.

I use Blender :)