Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Vesta Class /RELOADED

SchmidtFGSchmidtFG211 Posts: 203Member
edited January 2015 in Work in Progress #1
In 2012 I started to make this model as the first high poly attempt in 3dsmax. Result wasn't bad but it lacked of good final quality in both modeling and rendering.
I decided to redoing the whole concept a month back, because besides of Adam's Odyssey I'm also fond of Mark's Vesta Class.

Continue at post #61
107744.jpg
Post edited by SchmidtFG on
Tagged:

• SchmidtFGSchmidtFG211 Posts: 203Member
    I managed to make some progress on the engine. Actually it's the third version because I wasn't satisfied with the previous two. Next step is going to be the pylon "greebling".
    Pics below:
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That's some really nice work so far. :) This isn't my favorite class but I can always appreciate good modeling.

ST ships are "deceptive." They seem simple until you get a good look at the shapes. ;)
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    As I have built this ship before.. ITS A PAIN! deceptive shapes, bunch of small details all over.. grr!

https://picasaweb.google.com/Clawhammer.Rademaker/AventineDeclassified#
    https://picasaweb.google.com/Clawhammer.Rademaker/MarkRademaker#

some refs :)

and my humble attempt!
    https://picasaweb.google.com/114583233071020613327/USSAventine
    @evil:
    Thanks!:)
    They seem simple until you get a good look at the shapes
    That's why I'm getting gray:)
    Btw, nice blog you have.

@VALKYRIE:
    Appreciate the links they are really big help. It's an absolutely brilliant and well detailed ship, needed a couple of days to figure out how you made the "deceptive" shapes in general. Still, there are so many shapes I don't get yet, but these pics gonna help me. Thanks bud!

I've finished the pylons in general, might add some extra details later. Pics below:
    Looking good! for me it was just taking my time, and redo the shape atleast 10 times.. :)

what you have is looking great! Mark is remaking the aventine himself ( whenever he gets to it..... ) becasue the book people made him make some changes that he didn't want to do.. so please do keep track of his blog for updates.. (Whenever it is.. as said.. busy :) and please show him what your doing.. he was very interested in my work on it :) )
    @VALKYRIE:
    redo the shape atleast 10 times..
    I'm around that too:)
    show him what your doing..
    I sent a message to Mark and invited...

Btw, how much time did you spend on making the Aventine?

Here's the saucer's energy something, I admit I don't know what it is. Valkyrie?
    Also redoed the nacelle upper part and the saucer because the junction wasn't good.
  • ClawhammerClawhammer0 Posts: 0Member
    Hey guys! :) Looking good so far vnm51! Love that purple! Maybe try the warp plasma in a glowy hot white, I think it could be a good combo.

Btw: you are looking at an impulse drive/engine/exhaust. Vesta has 2 smaller ones on the pylons and 2 larger ones on the saucer. That saucer is modeled in such a way that in would be able to separate. It fits exactly into the secondary hull. I however never worked out the details below, so it will look rather flat when seperated.

I can't give you any technical tips, but go subtle with the details, it will make a model look more convincing. I only did that partly with the Vesta.

Here is a big file that might give you some more insight in how I model:
    http://www.ewe-squad.com/vesta%20class/halfnacelleexplodedview.jpg
    My modeling technique is very unefficient, but also very physical. Things fit in other things and will not simply be stuck in other parts, I kind of love that, but it also means I can put 2 hours in a 5 inch fold, as I just will get moody if I know that it isnt done right. (Nobody would ever see it...but my mind!!! :))

Will try and keep an eye on your build!

Good luck!

- Mark
    Hi Mark! nice to see you around!

and yes.. she has 2 sets of impulse drives, and I like how you put some covers on the saucer ones.. neat idea ( probably "borrow" it :))

I had a bloated timeline of nearly 6 months on this.. but not full time or anything. Was a learning experience for me, took my time.. now I could probably do it in 2 months ( 2 hours a day or something like that)
    some side projects of low poly rooms and hallway textures ate up some of the time and build some greebles for the sensor pits

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, so if you have any other questions :)
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    It's really growing on me, that design....
    @Mark:
    Welcome here Mark! Thanks for clearing up the engines and appreciate the exploded view that's help me a lot because I'm going to add some extra details to the nacelles.
    Now I start making the body hull and I've got question: When you made the "decals" like the black, dark cyan and white, they were created by slicing the saucer and the body and make separated hulls from them, so how did you make that? You used splines and shapemerge or make the splines manually by using edge cut or something else?
    I can put 2 hours in a 5 inch fold, as I just will get moody if I know that it isnt done right
    Ah, that's so familiar:).
    Maybe try the warp plasma in a glowy hot white, I think it could be a good combo.
    I changed that and got better combo indeed.

@VALKYRIE013:
    I like how you put some covers on the saucer ones.. neat idea ( probably "borrow" it:))
    Be my guest:) I uploaded a closer view of the engine but unfortunatelly the cooler ribs cannot be seen on the sides because they are too close to the wall.
    side projects of low poly rooms and hallway
    Yes, I would like to ask you to send/or upload a high res pic of the room at the front if possible because I'm going to make high poly model of the rooms and I need some guidelines.

So, here's the main engine:
    That's really cool. :D
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,978Member
    vnm51 wrote: »
    ...Now I start making the body hull and I've got question: When you made the "decals" like the black, dark cyan and white, they were created by slicing the saucer and the body and make separated hulls from them, so how did you make that? You used splines and shapemerge or make the splines manually by using edge cut or something else?

Your take for the Aventine is looking excellent vnm51! I especially do like of the purple egines and how you did them to glow.
    You donA’t asked me, I know, but IA’ll tell you my suggestion. :)
    Oh, donA’t use shapemerge... You will have a BIG headtache cleaning all the vertices merged, and it can ruin the mesh.
    Cutting the "decals" manually (as Madkoi does) is, I believe, the right way, but it is a pain in the ass. A good way is to place the rendering of the original Aventine in the background, as a guide for the cuts.
    Other way, which I prefer, is to use the free plugin named glue. Oh, and you wonA’t need the plugin when openning the mesh in other installations of max. ;)
    @Starship:
    Thanks for plugin bud I will take a look at it.
    A good way is to place the rendering of the original Aventine in the background, as a guide for the cuts.
    I make unique decals that's why manual cut is ruled out unfortunately. I've just found a possible solution so we shall see... Whether it's gonna be good or I :argh:
    Looking good!

for all the different colored panels.. I either took the hull and booleaned it, or manually cut it with the images or geometry as a guide.
    as for the penants and regestration numbers, I do the Tobias way and just use textures, though I do use geometry on occasion if textures don't work.. but Geometry decals are just to painful to me! :)

Its all looking good, and liking the changes your doing :)
    @Starship:
    Thanks for plugin bud I will take a look at it.

I make unique decals that's why manual cut is ruled out unfortunately. I've just found a possible solution so we shall see... Whether it's gonna be good or I :argh:

I also forgot to talk about other max native option. Since Max 9, at least, you have the probooleans as a native feature. Works almost like booleans and shapemerge (just use the imprimt option), but produces a a better result. Anyway, youA’ll still need to clean vertices. ;)
  • ClawhammerClawhammer0 Posts: 0Member
    Looking good so far! :)

In a hurry here, but the panel layer is in essence an extra layer of 20 cm thick armor. Because of the irregular cut channels/lines it can expand a little during energy absorption without adding too much stress to the hull beneath it. My technical approach wont be of much use here as it is solid based and not polygon based. http://www.ewe-squad.com/vesta%20class/armor.jpg < Armor layer only.
    @VALKYRIE:
    Geometry decals are just to painful to me
    I've got constant pain nowadays:)
    In this case I couldn't avoid using boolean since I made an own decal... it was painful...
    I do the Tobias way and just use textures
    So this interior is a texture? (saucer bottom segment front) I believed it's modelled, very realistic.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/114583233071020613327/USSAventine#5709758869126274386

@Mark:
    That's armor layer is a really good piece of work. But what does "solid based not polygon based" mean?

@Starship:
    you have the probooleans as a native feature
    That's okay bud I use proboolean frequently, I was just curious how Mark and Ken made it.:)

I made some progress on the body hull, I'm working on the docking area right now.
    oh no.. the rooms themselves are modeled.. talking about the numbering and letters on the hull that are textures :) thought my hallways Are also textures :)

things are looking great!
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Nice updates. Still takes some time to get used to the purple...
    Good work all around.
    Go ahead! :thumb:
    @Aresius:
    I know, but purple is my favourite color though calibrating/setting this color is very hard.

@VALKYRIE:
    oh no.. the rooms themselves are modeled
    Ah, ok but may I ask to take some screenies of that interior? I need a bit inspiration, feng shui etc...:)

@Starship:

I managed to finish the body hull (for now) so we arrived to the last unfinished part. Took a bit long to reduce the poly count actually remove unnecessary elements because my goal is to avoid stepping over sum 200k.
    Nice work. Though, you have a few smoothing errors around the beveled edge of the big cut for the shuttlebay area.
    @evil:
    You're right, I'm going to work on that. /fixed, updated
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    How did I miss this thread, Wow, this is great.
    @Lonewriter:
    Thanks!

I made some progress on the upper side of the saucer:
    98936.jpg98937.jpg
    things are looking good! flying through this! only be on the eng hull in this amount of time!

as asked.. some renders of the rooms close up.. hope it helps! all VERY low poly :)
    98950.jpg
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    things are looking good! flying through this! only be on the eng hull in this amount of time!

as asked.. some renders of the rooms close up.. hope it helps! all VERY low poly :)

I like those rooms, did you make the furniture? This will help me with my Nova mesh rooms.

Can't wait to see more of the Vesta variant.
    I see you solved the problem when doing the plates. How do you adressed that? Manual cut, shapemerge, probooleans, glue plugin... IA’m just curious. ;)
    @VALKYRIE:
    Thanks bud, these pics are really big help!
    I'm going to arrive to the lights and render soon, so I want to ask what program do you use for modelling and/or rendering? (I use max9). I'm not too good at rendering so I appreciate any advice.
    only be on the eng hull in this amount of time!
    Yes, but don't forget it was you who developed this ship from the very beginning and that's always harder and longer to make progress. I've got easier job because the basic shape is available so is the directive of the details.

@Starship:
    I made a line/spline which covered the profile then used manual cut on the saucer along the spline. ( ten times at least of course, to find the best one:) )

A little update on the saucer's side and bottom:
    98958.jpg98959.jpg98960.jpg
    @Starship:
    I made a line/spline which covered the profile then used manual cut on the saucer along the spline. ( ten times at least of course, to find the best one:) )
    A little update on the saucer's side and bottom:

ItA’s the hard way, but the result worths the effort. ;)
    By other side, cutting all those windows must have been a pain in the ass! :D