Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DRemnants

overseerfxoverseerfx0 Posts: 0Member
edited October 2012 in Finished Work #1
I was asked to create a picture showing the U.S.S. CONSTELLATION A‧ NCC-1017, but as she would likely appear in the JJ Abrams Trek universe. So, here she is amongst an asteroid field. You never know where a Planetkiller might be lurking...

Call it my interpretation of the ship; I'm also not a huge fan of JJ Abrams' Star Trek reinvention in connection with the rest of Star Trek, but I think it's not bad in its own right; IF you keep them separate.

COMPOSITION: Starfield was rendered and then composited with the nebula painting I made from scratch in Photoshop. The star at the bottom was also painted in. The remaining elements were rendered in Lightwave with post work in Photoshop.

MESHES: JJ Constitution class by Aaron Smith (with texture modifications by me), Sun & asteroids by me.

My artworks are not endorsed, sponsored, or affiliated with CBS Studios Inc. or the "Star Trek" franchise. The Star Trek trademarks, logos, and related names are owned by CBS Studios Inc., and are used under "fair use" guidelines.

remnants_sfm.jpg
98209.jpg
Post edited by overseerfx on
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804803 Posts: 11,308Member
    The picture is great. Though, there's no registry number on the bottom of the Enterprise's saucer section, so I don't see why there would be on the Constellation. Also it seems odd that the registry is so much lower than the Enterprise's number. Yes, I know the conjectural number of the original Constitution is NX/NCC-1700, but this was never established on screen.
  • overseerfxoverseerfx0 Posts: 0Member
    The picture is great. Though, there's no registry number on the bottom of the Enterprise's saucer section, so I don't see why there would be on the Constellation. Also it seems odd that the registry is so much lower than the Enterprise's number. Yes, I know the conjectural number of the original Constitution is NX/NCC-1700, but this was never established on screen.

Thank you!

I'm aware of the fact that there isn't suppose to be a registry number at the bottom, but like I said it was my interpretation of the ship (since JJ Abrams changed so much anyway), and I was asked to do an image with the Constellation, and well, the angle worked, so I wanted to make sure the registry number was visible, so I added it to the mesh. :devil:

Also, NCC-1017 was the registry number given to the Constellation in TOS (if you look up the episode). Why they did that I don't know; just sticking to established Trek facts. But then that was before the "Delta" was established as the official Starfleet symbol throughout. If you check out the episode, Commodore Decker actually has a different insignia on his uniform...
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804803 Posts: 11,308Member
    overseerfx wrote: »
    Also, NCC-1017 was the registry number given to the Constellation in TOS (if you look up the episode). Why they did that I don't know; just sticking to established Trek facts. But then that was before the "Delta" was established as the official Starfleet symbol throughout. If you check out the episode, Commodore Decker actually has a different insignia on his uniform...

Dude, that's one of my all-time favorite episodes (I can practically quote it.) So, no need to check it. ;) 1017 was used because it was a convenient rearrangement of the decals that came with the original AMT Enterprise kit, which was used to create the damaged Constellation. Gene Roddenberry originally wanted to have the "Starship class" vessels all star with NCC-17, but the Constellation broke from that because of the convenience of being able to use the existing decals, as opposed to making new ones.

And, yes, back then ships were supposed to have different insignia. Except in Court Martial, where everyone at the Starbase (except the staff) was wearing the Enterprise delta, despite being from different ships. :shiner:

As for JJTrek, it's possible they can have the Constellation be NCC-1017. Really, until we see it on screen, anything is possible. Of course, it's also possible, given the "delay" in the development of the Enterprise in that reality, that the Constellation would be an entirely different class, if it existed at all. ;) (yes, I know I'm getting way too technical for a CGI render)
  • overseerfxoverseerfx0 Posts: 0Member
    Dude, that's one of my all-time favorite episodes (I can practically quote it.) So, no need to check it. ;) 1017 was used because it was a convenient rearrangement of the decals that came with the original AMT Enterprise kit, which was used to create the damaged Constellation. Gene Roddenberry originally wanted to have the "Starship class" vessels all star with NCC-17, but the Constellation broke from that because of the convenience of being able to use the existing decals, as opposed to making new ones.

And, yes, back then ships were supposed to have different insignia. Except in Court Martial, where everyone at the Starbase (except the staff) was wearing the Enterprise delta, despite being from different ships. :shiner:

As for JJTrek, it's possible they can have the Constellation be NCC-1017. Really, until we see it on screen, anything is possible. Of course, it's also possible, given the "delay" in the development of the Enterprise in that reality, that the Constellation would be an entirely different class, if it existed at all. ;) (yes, I know I'm getting way too technical for a CGI render)

Well in that case! Thanks also for the explanation; that fact had escaped me until now! :)

And yes, it would be just JJ Abrams way to change that, too. I mean why not, if it fits better. It seems a lot of people have been creating JJ design based ships all over the place and they don't look half bad. In fact, and I'm going get technical now, too, because there's nothing wrong with it (!), what irked me most about the JJ movie was the way they displayed the engine room, not the actually design of the ships themselves.

OK, granted, it's machinery and it doesn't have to look as polished as the rest of the ship, but was it really necessary to make that part of the ship look like some gas works, oil platform, or mining station?! The Kelvin (I liked the design of the ship) was even worse in that regard. I think given even current space age designs that's totally unrealistic and looking at the overly polished, shiny look of the remaining decks, it makes no sense at all.

Leaving the overly Star Wars-y looking red... uh... thing... that attacked Kirk out of the equation for a moment, the engine room was really the part of the movie that annoyed me in terms of technology. Aside from the total mess up of the time line and the "Wing Commander Prophecy"-style Romulan ship it wasn't an all bad movie. Maybe we will get to see the Constellation in the next installment, although I already have mixed feelings about it.

A lot of people were complaining during ENT how they showed the Vulcans, but to me that was actually making sense and proved one thing; to do something differently you don't have to destroy 400+ years (or 40+ in the TV history timeline) of Trek history...