Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DBaron Helmutt Lightholler

2»

• ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    Is that a nuclear-armed mace?
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Looking great, dude. I don't know why, but it looks better flipped. Or maybe it's just my brain playing tricks on me. ;)
    Coolhand wrote: »
    biggest change is probably the wing armour, if anyone is paying attention:p

You made it too easy by telling us where to look. :p
  • CoolhandCoolhand289 Mountain LairPosts: 1,298Member
    I think that, then after a while i flip it back and think it looks better the other way round:D It's probably making it harder to track the progress of the project though.

Armnodikov, nooooo, no no no, that would be insane.... its clearly not a mace.:D;)
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    You could also mount a Davy Crockett onto a pilum. That would be just as sensible.
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    VERY nice work, Steve. Nice indeed.
    Thanks Travis, here is some more of this monstrosity... biggest change is I dropped the screaming skull shoulder thing and added yet more evil-elitist symbology, and a sword... All still being worked on as my attention seems to jump randomly from detail to detail... As I keep picking this back up every few months I'm forgetting what I've changed on it previously (yeah i'm getting old:lol:)
    101587.jpg
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    the head does not look quite right, but it is very hard to model humans well so you have done a brilliant job here. the armour is better and well rendered. i a guessing this is a 3d model of yours not just some 2D picture?
    As I keep picking this back up every few months I'm forgetting what I've changed on it previously (yeah i'm getting old)
    i often find that i want to change something on a model, usually one of those i consider my best, a few months later. and often i forget exactly what i've been doing to it.
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Spacefighter, read the frakkin' thread! It's not a model, it's 2D art!

Nice update, Coolhand. That is looking great. :thumb:
    As much as I liked the skull, the eye is just creepy. Nice change. :D
    Thanks for the comments, I think the skull thing was a bit much somehow, never quite seemed to fit, the very first version was a large golden bird that resembled a deceased seagull. Anyway, I'm glad you like the eye! It might be a laser or other beam emitter, perhaps with a large cone of fire, venting massive clouds of coolant out of the "tear ducts" (imagine seeing it firing at you at night:D) which might also drip liquid coolant after firing, as if remorseful of the massive destruction it has caused. - I tried to paint the blue tint of the iris as if caused by heating, I'll probably make that look more worn and well-used...

Yep this is all from scratch 2D digital painting. No photos, no scans, no 3d models, knackered Wacom, very old version of Photoshop.:D
    Dang man! That eye takes it to a whole new level. Awesome work Steve!
    Dang man! That eye takes it to a whole new level. Awesome work Steve!

hey thanks, i may actually finish this someday too;)

seriously its getting pretty close now, I think i started it nearly a year ago at this point so I guess I should clear this one up. An artist who never actually finishes any art isn't much of an artist;) I may not be much of an artist anyway, but here's where we are right now:

(btw apologies for the watermarks, i hate to add them but i've had a number of peices stolen by overseas games studios)
    103317.jpg103318.jpg
    It's nice to see you're still working on this. The sword is great. :D

I don't think anybody here can fault you for the watermarks. There is, unfortunately, a lot of thievery on the Internet. Some people think, just because something is posted on here, that they can use it any way they want. However, that's not true. So, watermarking your work is definitely one of the best ways to prevent that.
    It's nice to see you're still working on this. The sword is great. :D

I don't think anybody here can fault you for the watermarks. There is, unfortunately, a lot of thievery on the Internet. Some people think, just because something is posted on here, that they can use it any way they want. However, that's not true. So, watermarking your work is definitely one of the best ways to prevent that.

well I don't know how effective it is, and I don't like displaying it like that... the final version will probably not be watermarked in such an intrusive way, but like here I won't be able to share anything like the full resolution - this painting is huge.

Just to show you what happens, I've attached a pic of a recent hack job of one of my images, please bear in mind this was done by a multinational incorporated business, who have completely ignored my pleasant request for an explanation.
    103322.png
    The watermarks make it harder for them to remove the background and use your work. As for how effective it is, it's hard to say. I don't really like doing it either. I use to fret over these things, but now I just put credits on my work and hope they stay there. Really, once it's no the Internet, it's out of your hands and you never know what people are going to do. But, it's either run that risk and put your stuff out there or don't and have nobody see it. :rolleyes:

The people involved in stealing your work for that company should be shot.
    The next step will be figuring out who to contact at google, for all their user-friendly, data-miney-ness, they are totally lacking a 'one of your partners ripped me off' button.

I'm not totally sure they deserve corporal punishment, but I'm almost certain the Baron here has happily whipped serfs to death for less - an approach not beyond serious consideration.
    103389.jpg
    Fantastic work on that battle damage. :thumb:

Google is missing a lot of things, like who to contact about any issue. You can get standard help questions and whatnot, but good luck trying to speak to someone. But, that's typical of web companies. :rolleyes:
    Steve, that looks AWESOME!!! Really digging the internals revealed within the pauldron.

And... what? Image theft? WTF is wrong with people?????
  • AardwolfAardwolf171 Posts: 82Member
    (sorry for continuing tangent)

That image you posted... I'm curious, is that a render you did, or did they take the model and do their own render?
    they hacked up this exact image http://coolhandgraphics.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/mcquarrie-inspired-oldies.html

pauldron eh? - sounds better than "shoulder eye thing."

Thanks for the comments!
  • Startrek91481Startrek91481171 Posts: 0Member
    very cool
    thanks, here's a bit more, working on some detail for the ball...
    103472.jpg
    That's freakin' crazy, man. I love it. :D
  • WrenfieldWrenfield0 Posts: 0Member
    Coolhand wrote: »
    Some work so far on a painting of a new miniature I'm working on. - A sorta medieval-gigerish-techno-knight-type-thing, something that might fit in with existing types of fantasy wargaming minis. They perhaps live in a castle on the moon in Tycho crater, on a distant future moon, and have nothing whatsoever to do with anything else I've posted here. Mostly its another exercise in rendering light and shadow (its all 2d painted from scratch of course), and is taking aaaaaages, I must be the slowest rendering package available.:cool: I'm still working out the arms and legs to an extent so here's the head and shoulders which are the most complete so far

Edit - Updated thumbnail, changed the name :D

Edit - Changed Thumbnail, changed name again 21/11/13

Dude that's amazing. All you guys are amazing. My mind has been blown since I walked in here, like 2 minutes ago. I had no idea.
    Hey, thanks, welcome to SFM, keep up posting like that and we'll all get along just fine:D

EG, cheers.

hopefully have another update soon.
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    That's one scary looking ball!

Speaking of balls, he doesn't look like he has a lot of room for the boys in that armour.
    Guess I will reply to all my neglected threads tonight.:) the suit is perhaps roomier than it looks, the actual man crotch being a bit higher up than the floor of suit, I'd been doing a rework of that area anyway because it wasn't quite manly enough or something, and the legs - if you look at the pose, he looks like he's standing on one leg, really.

Thats kinda fixed now but I'll show it at a later date because it's not quite there.

I'm not sure if i'll show them because its maybe just a bit too silly but I thought about some crotch mounted weaponry like an extendable circular saw ('the bagger') or a chainsaw or something, and even started painting it in but maybe thats too on the nose....
    well, for obvious reasons i really did want this finished off by halloween, a month ago...

I think his new codpiece will have to do here, maybe a little work to make it integrate i with the rest of the suit. Can you believe people used to wear these things in polite company, several hundred years ago, i learned far more about codpieces than i ever wanted to since the last update...

theres also a lot of changes to his legs pose, but they're still quite rough compared to the top of the suit, & probably lots of detail work thats hardly visible in this overview.
    103921.jpg
    I remember being issued our body armor in the army and nobody wanted to wear the groin protector. (suffice to say it sways, your imagination can fill in the rest :o) And that can't even be as uncomfortable as a codpiece. :runs:

The new codpiece, while still uncomfortable looking, looks a bit more roomy than before. I like the abs you added to the suit, those look good. I see he also acquired some more damage since the last update. (including that one really *close* ding on the codpiece :o)
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    thinking his sword is somewhat too big. if he can physically swing it despite the weight then the length is fine but the thickness is too great and the edges seem blunt because of that. otherwsie pretty awesome