Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DRalph McQuarrie YWing Battle

japetusjapetus2960 SeattlePosts: 1,401Member
edited September 2012 in Finished Work #1
My latest of my Ralph McQuarrie Y-Wing...Enjoy!

ywing_flying_3.jpg

Modeled and rendered in 3ds Max. Compositing in Nuke.
97775.jpg
Post edited by japetus on
Tagged:

• CoolhandCoolhand288 Mountain LairPosts: 1,298Member
    so much prefer this y-wing to the one that was in the show, really nice to see it realised in this great model.:)

Really like the image too but perhaps take another stab at the effects. Maybe the laser bolts could be thinner/hotter to look more intense. same could be said about the explosions and exhaust effects - maybe try something other than the fireball effect, imho it doesn't convey the types of energies you'd be dealing with here and the fireballs/explosions lack definition compared to the other elements in the image, like the lovingly detailed y-wing... Just my 2p anyway.

Oh, and attach a thumbnail!:)
  • japetusjapetus2960 SeattlePosts: 1,401Member
    Great ideas...working on a new one now! I was able to log into work and starting using Phoenix for some explosions... :devil:

I had also meant to put another Y-Wing in the background, but my comp randomly restarted.

Will post a new one soon!
    Updated! Reload the page...
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I love it. It's nice to see more of your Y-wing model and it's a great action pic. :D I don't know how the effects were before, but they're great now. :D
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Nice, I personally prefer the look of the Y-Wing that did get used in the movie, but I also love the look of the McQuarrie concepts too, so it is great to see this model in action. Wonderful work.
    I realized I forgot to turn on my renderable splines! Many pipes and wires were missing. I also fixed a number of things that were bothering me. I firmed up the red laser and fixed a couple of masking problems with the explosions and modified the lighting a bit now that I had a background figured out.

I got new windows installed yesterday and it was a construction zone in the house, guess it was distracting me! :) I've updated the main image, the old ones can be found here:

http://www.japetusproductions.com/Images/SFM/RMYWing/ywing_flying_2.jpg
    and
    http://www.japetusproductions.com/Images/SFM/RMYWing/ywing_flying_1.jpg
    Much improved on the earlier versions. Nice work.

Now we just need some McQuarrie concept style TIE Fighters in there so the poor girl doesn't look so lonely.

:p
    I'll have to look in my "Art of" books but unfortunately I think the tie fighter pretty much always looked like the tie fighter. I've always liked his version of the A-Wing and X-Wings as well. They seem just a bit more furturistic than what was on screen.
    Yeah, there's not much that is different about the McQuarrie TIE Fighter other than the proportions were a little different, a bit more like the original toy version with the ball being quite a bit bigger when compared to the solar panel wings. There is also the Colin Cantwell prototype model for the TIE which goes in the other direction and makes the ball really small compared to the wings, but doesn't really look all that hot with pretty much featureless sticks attaching the cockpit ball to the wings. So not really something worth modelling. Now a McQuarrie concept style X-Wing? That's another story, that design is all kinds of cool. The A-Wing is pretty sweet too you're right.

If you're looking for other examples of his designs how about the McQuarrie version of a Mon Cal cruiser? I liked the way he handled the look of that, had a sort of homage to Flash Gordon rocket ships with the pointy needle like nose. Then obviously you've also got his take on the Millennium Falcon before it went all round and hamburgery.