Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDeath Star Landing

JMoneyJMoney189 Posts: 127Member
edited September 2012 in Finished Work #1
Rendered in 3dsmax Mental Ray. Glow and grain added in post. This is actually a still from an animation I'm testing out. I've only rendered about half of it so far as the rendertimes are 15 minutes per frame. Next I'll add a whole bunch of Storm Troopers waiting, but this is just a test.

Death Star II Hangar by: TALON_UK
Shuttle by: Fabio
Scene, lighting, and some materials by: JMoney

Enjoy!
97266.jpg
Post edited by JMoney on
Tagged:

• TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    That's looking great JMoney, and you've done a real nice job lighting that thing, better than my attempts. Looks more like the subtle diffused look I had when using a skylight before I put the roof on. Looks very nice, will have to nick those lighting settings off you. Though I'd suggest perhaps adding a quite localised light source near that array hanging from underneath the TIE rack to take it out of the shadows and have it lit a little more like it is in the matte painting, but other than that it looks excellent. Can't wait to see the ranks of jiving Stormies added.

Great work.

:thumb:
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    Lovely picture, but 15 minutes per frame? I'd go stir-crazy...

I've had to render upwards of 700 frames sometimes... if they took 15 minutes per frame, that'd be 10,500 minutes or 175 hours... that'd be just over a 7 day week...

:argh:
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • EnterpraisEnterprais197 Posts: 124Member
    That's totally amazing!! Very nice picture and I'm sure it will be very cool animation! The reflections on the floor, this black silhouettes on the front are looking incredible. But 15 minutes per fraame... may be you should toggle all settings the way you want and use some render farm? It will take some money, but it will be waay faster.. I don't know your computer specs, though. May be you have a supercomp :) But so much continuous rendering is a big load on the computer's shoulde.. I mean, processor.

At first, when I read the theme's name, I though you did something with the whole Death Star landing on the planet :D:D:D Just like those sphere ships of Trade Federation from the first 3 episodes...
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    im so dissapointed. i thought it would be a picture of the Death Star landing on some planet somewhere. :p
  • ChanurChanur191 53.33° N / 10.00° EPosts: 305Member
    Hm, almost there and the landing gear is still up?!? :D
    No, just kidding! :) Great picture!!
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    How did I miss this, looks great mate, very nice work all round :)