Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DBC-303 Prometheus (Stargate)

VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
edited July 2012 in Work in Progress #1
In honor of the film Prometheus!.... I'm going to build The Prometheus! ...err.. the Stargate one.. not the movie one.... :devil:

Now.. the vespa is still being worked on.. just have NOO enthusiasm for it ( as evidenced by NO updates the last couple weeks....) I'll come back to it eventually.. just the lack of refs, and me spending HOURS screencaping hoping to see some bit of the internals... grrrrrrr...

anyways.. Blocking her out right now.. got a good dent in to it.. there are some plans out there.. some completly poo.. others not so bad.. then...... There are 2 versions of the ship.. >_< first is the one used most of the show, then there's the Ethon version ( just one of those ships, when it was destroyed.. that I felt a big loss.. I REALLY liked this ship!) the Ethon version has the F-302 fighter bays on the outriggers.. while the hyperdrive or whatever is in the old version.. ( going to build an F-302 as well.. AND there are 2 versions of THAT as well... grrrrr the SG1 version and the Atlantis version) :shiner:
main plans I'm using are by G. McAvoy's.

so.. I'll be working on this for abit.. till I go insane from the detail ( ha ha!)

more soon! :runs:
Post edited by VALKYRIE013 on
Tagged:

• madman1701amadman1701a339 Posts: 366Member
    Looking good. :)

It doesn't look like it, but I know from when I built mine, that the shapes get complicated pretty quick. :)
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    you built one? any good refs?? :devil:

Thanks!
  • BlobVanDamBlobVanDam0 Posts: 0Member
    Great start. There's not much good reference for the Stargate stuff, so it's nice to see people take a shot at building them. Shape looks right so far. Can't wait to see it all greebled up. (shut up spellcheck, greebled is a word)
    I always much preferred the later 304 style ship myself. :)
  • JesshannJesshann0 Posts: 0Member
    Just so you know MGM is starting to hunt down all fan films/fan works for stargate. You might want to email them or something before you put too much work into it to get their OK. They're not as cool with fan stuff as Star Trek or Lucas film are. Good start though :)
  • Dr LeeDr Lee2 Posts: 0Member
    What? MGM is stopping the fans from making SG fan art?

This is a great start to the prommie....
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    Jesshann wrote: »
    Just so you know MGM is starting to hunt down all fan films/fan works for stargate. You might want to email them or something before you put too much work into it to get their OK. They're not as cool with fan stuff as Star Trek or Lucas film are. Good start though :)

unless you post a link showing a qoute that they dont like it or what ever your statment is false there has been tons of models made of stargate based ships on this forum with no problem
    i've researched it abit.. some people tried to do a mod of some game.. and used Stargate in the title.. shut it down, and somebody tryied to make a fan series.. shut it down.. so there not as "liberal" as star trek or star wars ( unless you mess with the Millennium falcon.. then ur Doomed!) most are okay unless your making money off of them..

never heard any of them complaining about us building there ships, and don't know of any C&D put to this website to take down any threads or images... so unless they come to my house and confiscate my computer ( not beyond belief these days) I should be fine :)

thanks guys, and Jesshann for the heads up :)
    and somebody tryied to make a fan series.. shut it down..
    Hahaha Yeah that was me and a few other guys :P No problems though :) Just wanted to let you know
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    Prometheus was a design that needed a bit more tweaking and detail.
    Saquist wrote: »
    Prometheus was a design that needed a bit more tweaking and detail.
    When it's done right Prometheus is actualy an epic ship. A guy called "KevinW" did an amazing model of the prometheus. I decided to post a photo of his model that I've rendered using Blender.
    Prometheus.jpg
    96192.jpg
    Seems less grand than the one that was destroyed.
    got that one.. he has it up for download over at Foundation.. HIGHLY inaccurate though... ( seen enough screen caps to rivet count it... eye's blead abit... >_<) especially the bottom!

weird thing is... they used 1 model throughout the series up till Ethon.. then made a Brand New model..... to be destroyed!! more detailed, F-302's coming out the hyperdrive pods ( front of them anyway instead of the main hanger..) and a bit more fine tuned everywhere else..

seen plenty of my favorite ships crash, or blow up.. but this one ... hits me hard every time I see it blow... guess it's my Tos/Refit Enterprise from ST III ....

first pic is the original, second one is the "Ethon" version

Thanks guys! should have some updates tommorow!

Thanks thou! :)
    I always liked the Prometheus design in the show, I know a lot of people called it FUGLY (and other 'titles') but i thought it was perfect for the first Earth built hyperdrive capable space ship.

IIRC, didn't they have to rebuild the Prommie for Ethon as they'd not left the room for a hanger bay in the original design? (hence why we never saw it till Ethon?)
    The Main hanger is on the top by the tower ( the opening looking thingy) .. thats where there "suppose" to come out of.. and the pods were Only for the hyperdrive..
    owell

bit more progress
    detailing out the head part somewhat.. fine tuning some of the lines... egh.. plans are a decent start.. but... ... in accurate... is a word... and its the best set I've found...!! I do hate relying on screenshots... >_<

more latter!
    https://picasaweb.google.com/114583233071020613327/StargateRefs

Some of my refs.. the rest are screen grabs off of netflix.. I'm using the first set of plans.. which are the most accurate .. but thats not saying much.. since None of them are accurate! but this one does get the lines right..

some work. and a decision.. started to detail the hyperdrive pods.. got some plumbing in.. and started... err.. paneling it.. Now.. I have NO idea how you Star Wars/Star Destroyer guys do the panel lines... ( a point to any tuts would be helpful!) so this is my first try at it.. basically taking a cube and .. layering it haven't cut in to the main mesh..

so.. should I do this to the rest of the ship? or go with a texture route? I like the way it looks in some Daedalus builds ( though there blocks are smaller... need to fix that) giving it some panels without using crappy bump maps... we'll see.. take some time to accomplish thou...

Thanks!
    some people cut there panels out then extrude and sume panel using seperate boxes
    Thanks Guys!

some more paneling.. finished up the hyperdrive pod and pylons..
    also added the VLS missle banks... they don't show up anywhere (plans, screen caps) but is shown firing missles like the Daedalus ... which Does have VLS (Vertical Launch System) banks in the nose... and the Promie fires missles just like the Daedalus.. so.. here they are.. now are they in the right place?? don't know.. might move them closer to the nose since thats where the trails come from.... but have to look at where the foward cargo hold goes etc. so.. Placeholder at the moment.. but figureing it out

Thanks!
    .. been at it for abit and put a BIG dent in the paneling front..

done the paneling for most of it but the nose and the wing bit ( ...wing the thingy on the back/neck not paneled yet..)

probably finish up the rest of the paneling up tonight/tommorow .. depends how long MW3 kicks my ass....>_<

after the paneling I might mock up an F-302 for size determination ( I'm going with a 210 meter long ship.. roughly on 3 meter decks and measurements of the airlocks) no really concreate measurements anywhere.. even for the 302.. based on the Ethon episode.. its MUCH bigger with the 302's flying out the hanger.. egh owell

More latter! and i'll be doing clay/occlusion renders for abit to show off detail better
    Dr Lee wrote: »
    I always liked the Prometheus design in the show, I know a lot of people called it FUGLY (and other 'titles') but i thought it was perfect for the first Earth built hyperdrive capable space ship.

IIRC, didn't they have to rebuild the Prommie for Ethon as they'd not left the room for a hanger bay in the original design? (hence why we never saw it till Ethon?)

That would certainly explain it. Which is yours?
    Saquist wrote: »
    That would certainly explain it. Which is yours?

Forgive me, yesterday (as it is now) has been a very long day, so I'm a bit slow on the uptake atm. Which is my what?
    yeah i didnt get that either
    Which version of the ship will your model be imitating?
    dr lee isnt the modeler?
    I am making a version of the Prommie..... but i'm not the one making this rather good mesh
    Yeah I quoted the wrong message.
    egh.. don't know which version.. not much difference between the versions.. bout only difference is the hanger in the outriggers/hyperspace pods.. so atm making a highly detailed version.. and decide soon on the hanger.. kinda leaning against it, and using the main hanger on the main hull part of the ship.. so I'm probably going to make the more detailed Ethon version, and decide if I wana add the hangers in the pods soon.. them doing that just Blasts the size of this ship out the water.. goes from 210 meters to 300 plus... egh... more renders soon!

EDIT:
    a few new renders.. paneled the nose and finished the upper decks.. now to panel the wing, and lower bay/half

Thanks all!
    Okay!! all the paneling is done! ( Mostly... few here's and there's.. minor stuff)

Now on to the details.. theres a huge radiator ( thats what I'm calling it... need Something to radiate the heat!) on the bottom side of the the wing bit..
    then the side trench start.. so more detail work upcoming!
    done some Star Destroyer Trench details.. and got to say.. the plans I'm using are Quite accurate on this part.. Cheers!

some rail gun turrents here ( guess it has a good broadside!) needs to add some more ( figure that out latter.. none on the model..... ... figures...)

so.. more detailing tomorrow :)
  • Bell'OrsoBell'Orso331 Posts: 93Member
    Sorry to sort of necro this topic, but I just gotta say I'm loving this. Always did love SG ships and your work looks excellent as usual.

Question: Any plans on doing alternate names? If I remember correctly, Col. O'Neill was very upset that his superiors wouldn't allow him to name the ship "Enterprise" and ever since I saw that episode I always liked the idea of an SG ship bearing that name.
    i could have seen the show naming a 303 after Penderghast... had they not decided to stop using the Prometheus design