Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Digital artists for 2 year independant micro-budget film project

SphynxSphynx195 Posts: 461Member
Hi All,

It's been a long while since I posted on the forums. I've been dropping in every week or so, but the possibilities of long term serious illness has had me moving back and forth between RL work and education and a barrage of hospital tests. This is essentially what knocked my Bruja film thread on the head, which some of you may have seen going on up until the beginning of the year - all of the work has been saved for future retrieval, but schedules based on physical prop building were knocked for six.

In RL, as well as being a software developer and digital artist, I'm also a film-maker - though I don't think that this has ever been serious raised in the forums, other than Bruja. We are currently gearing up however, for a (non-fan) short SF film (between 16 and 24 minutes, depending on final state of the script and naturally, editing) from an original script to be commenced officially in September, live-filmed in early 2013 with the aim of 2014 release after post-prod and CGI etc. We already have people involved from two SERIAC / IAC affiliated film making clubs to which I am a member, a few dramatics societies and several independents.

The reason for the delay before we initally start is so that I am not distracted in the last few months of my MA in Digital Design. The reason for the long duration is partly to offset costs vs. the quality that I want to achieve with this.

We are now looking at advanced invitations for people who are interested in working on the CG for the project - which is extensive. All of the sets (save a very few filler shots) are digital, with live-filming taking place in a green-room here on campus. There will also be a number of all-CG filler shots of external environments etc. and at least one underwater scene.

My initial thought was only asking for Blender artists so that this would not only fit into our direct work-flow / render environment, but also support the micro-budget policy of the film (we're not just being cheapskates here, there is an actual academic purpose behind this connected with a second Masters in Cinematography which I'm starting in the middle of next year). However, there is probably sufficient work for other users to get involved such as in the production of distinct object modelling, where product can be transfered between systems.

If anyone is seriously interested, please take a look at http://www.thevideoplayers.org, where the project will be run / managed. An article on Blitz & Bananas on the splash page will show you how serious we are about this - many of the filmmaking club's members who worked on B&B are with us on the new project. If still interested, please join up then notify me here so that I can open up permissions for you to see the current state of the script and what we therefore need.

As a general idea, we'll be needing interior corridors, at least one high tech room (for this, think the original Alien suspension room where they all wake up), several pre-designed air vehicles, some TRON Legacy-like environments and an Arctic scene (though naturally, and no pun intended, that's the tip of the iceberg).

Cheers,
Craig (Sphynx).