Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DViper Mk II Profile Project

TalosTalos0 Posts: 0Member
edited July 2012 in Work in Progress #1
Haven't posted anything here in a while since I haven't done anything sci-fi related. Most of what I've been working on has been either real-world aircraft or Macross-related.

Late last year I started working on a Star Wars project I've always wanted to do, a fully-detailed, shaded, and weathered Y-Wing profile. I haven't gotten it done yet, only the astromechs are finished or near-finished depending on the model, but I realized I would need to do shading and weathering practice before I'm ready to do that. I would also need to improve my Photoshop and Illustrator skills.

My choice of a subject was an old favorite of mine, the Viper Mk II from the reimagined Battlestar Galactica. I had the Zoic renders of the filming CGI model to use as a base, but I really wanted to amp up all the details as much as I could. I found a lot of pictures of the full-scale mockup online and used it as a source for additional detail, including the TV series rescue point (actually an aftermarket car fuel door) that replaced the decal that was on the Viper during the Miniseries, as well as the little cables and wires in the access panels in the forward fuselage. It's not finished yet, the cockpit interior, wings, wingtips, cannons, and the access panels in the upper and lower engines still need to be finished.

I'm uploading two versions of the line art that's done so far, normal size with everything and enlarged with the cannons removed so you can see the detail they cover up. I've also done the Vigilantes squadron patch and Viper spacecraft patch that I'll have on the final profile, and started the Primus patch that's going on the nose, as well as an example nameplate that will go on one of the Vipers (Husker's N7242C/7242NC). The final two pictures are initial shading tests and aren't representative of how the final profile will look. I was just experimenting and practicing in Photoshop to get used to it. The font seen on the tail unit and the nameplate is "Husker" by AppleCave on Fontstruct. It's pretty darn close to the original and a great font. When I do the final profile I'll include a credit for it.

th_ViperMkII.jpgth_ViperMkII.jpgth_ViperForwardfuselageshadingtest.jpgth_ViperMkIIshadingtest.jpg

th_Husker.pngth_Viper-Patch.pngth_Vigilantes-2.png
96339.png
Post edited by Talos on

• TalosTalos0 Posts: 0Member
    Updates time! I finished all the squadron patches, which I'm posting here, along with both version of the Raptor patch in larger size (one based on the actual patch, the other the wall plaque), and a large size of the Primus patch just because it came out so well. I also did a fun version of the Viper patch, but with a Mk II instead of the proto-Mk VII the screen-used patch has.

With the help of Lee Stringer, I've been accurizing and finishing up the line art. I updated it in my photobucket, so the first two images in the above post are the updated ones. One last thing I'm posting for now is the beginning of the Mk VII line art boilerplate.

th_Patches.jpgth_Raptors-1.pngth_Primus-1.pngth_Viper-Mk-II-patch.png

th_ViperMkVII.jpgth_ViperMkVI.jpg
  • backsteptbackstept2087 Posts: 930Member
    I got a Primus patch on ebay a few years ago . . . still waiting to be sewn onto a jacket :D
    It is a neat design, isn't it? I think it and the Vigilantes patch are my two favorites and ones I'd love to have in actual patch form.

That was the one patch I knew I had to draw, since it's going on the nose of my Viper. When I was working on it, I started doing the other patches too and just got swept away. Before I knew it, I had churned out all ten designs they had on the show, plus a couple other patches.

Still working on the plane, though haven't had much chance recently. I totally redrew the Viper Mk II's wing and wingtip and I'm satisfied with it now. The only part left is the exposed bays on the engines, which are proving to be a pain. To keep me sane and keep things moving while I delay on that last bit, I started working on the initial fills for the stuff in the forward fuselage bay and the rescue point, since I took those elements out to do at a higher resolution then the main profile. I dropped what I have so far down to a lower resolution and, with the insignia and markings I've had done for a while already, put them in my shading mockup. The elements are coming together well, so when I get started on the final profile, it should all fall into place easily.

th_Viper-Forward-fuselage-shading-test.png
  • ElowanElowan0 Posts: 0Member
    Many thx for the insignias/logos
    Not a problem, glad you like them. If you need any in larger size, like the Primus logo in the post above, I can upload it. I reduced the others in size and stuck them together to make it easier to post.
  • ChiletrekChiletrek0 Posts: 0Member
    Hello:
    And I agree, those emblems and logos look very good :thumb:.

Keep it up!!

P.S.: Maybe, if you feel like it, could do some Cylon emblemsfor cool Raiders? :devil: .
    Thanks!

Cylon emblems would be pretty cool. I think they only had simple geometric shapes in both shows though.

Hmm, I never posted these three in here. They're not ones from the shows, just based off elements from them. A Viper Mk I (TOS-style Viper) and Viper Mk II patches for the pilots to wear on their shoulders, and a Blue Squadron patch based on the TOS one, but updated in the style of the ones from the new show. I'm not 100% on it, but I'll go back and update it later.

th_Viper-Mk-I-patch.pngth_Viper-Mk-II-patch.pngth_RDM-Blue-Squadron.png

Also an example of a non-BSG project I've been working on.

th_Yukikaze-patch-1.pngth_Yamatosizecomparison.png
    (I'm not doing the Yamato, at least not at this time. I just had it in the size comparison since it changed in the new remake of the classic show)
  • Viper AviatorViper Aviator0 Posts: 0Member
    Hi Talos, If your looking for the Cylon Insignia, I have one over on my Deviant Art page. Feel free to use it as you wish.
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    whats that 80m ship?
    Hi Talos, If your looking for the Cylon Insignia, I have one over on my Deviant Art page. Feel free to use it as you wish.

Thanks, VA, I'll definitely take a look at it and use it to help start me off if I do some Cylon stuff.
    colbmista wrote: »
    whats that 80m ship?

That's the destroyer Yukikaze from Space Battleship Yamato 2199 and the main subject of that profile project. I primarily drew that size comparison to show how tiny it is compared to the title ship from the show. I took a couple screencaps from the show as an example. On the latter, the left is the new one, the right is the original show from the 70s.

th_NublesSpaceBattleshipYamato21992012episode1720p10bitAACmkv_snapshot_0327_20120605_125914.jpgth_Yamatocomparison1.jpg
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    This is an awesome project, and I, too, would like to thank you for the logos... top work!
    Thanks, BolianAdmiral. I'm having a lot of fun with it and relearning how to do proper profiling again. It's been an interesting challenge. I'm glad you like the logos. I needed a break from agonizing over the line art for the plane, so I ended up cranking out most of those in about a two week period.

It's a minor update, but I thought it was silly to maintain two different mockups, so I stuck them together to create this. Except for some tweaking to the shading and markings on the upper engine, it's pretty much identical to what's in the very first post here, just added to the forward fuselage mockup.

th_Viper-Forward-fuselage-shading-test.png