Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DTerra Station aka THE BIG SHROOM

124»

• AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Magnificent....

Given the size, all the detail-work of finer greebles would go unnoticed in full-station images anyway, so I wonder if it's wise to make such high details for far-out pics (also think about the pc to render that beast...).

In any case, another impressive update.
  • stfanboystfanboy67 Posts: 388Member
    Aresius wrote: »
    Magnificent....

Given the size, all the detail-work of finer greebles would go unnoticed in full-station images anyway, so I wonder if it's wise to make such high details for far-out pics (also think about the pc to render that beast...).

In any case, another impressive update.

Thanks. I'm sure I could use textures instead of modeling for wide shots. Call me crazy but I enjoy making the detail. It also gives me satisfaction when I do some test renders after adding the panels. As for my PC I'm not worried. The recent update didn't take to long. Probably 15 minutes on high image precision. Animation is another story, but I'm not worried about that now.
    In that case alright.

BTW, I'm working on a background story of the station, I'll send it to ya, once I'm done (probably some time tomorrow).
    Aresius that was a great read. Anyways here is a update. Finished the command tower. On to the large exterior buildings.

pHDa6Ve.jpg
    48F5bkF.jpg

Full Res
    http://i.imgur.com/pHDa6Ve.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/48F5bkF.jpg
    Happy ya liked it.

I'm not sure how big those greebles are, but given the size, these platings might be three or four decks tall. Ya might wanna rething that.
    Aresius wrote: »
    Happy ya liked it.

I'm not sure how big those greebles are, but given the size, these platings might be three or four decks tall. Ya might wanna rething that.

Are they too small or too big?
    Too big to be just regular plating (like Aztecs), too small for anything else.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804616 Posts: 11,188Member
    I love the ring of buildings around the perimeter of the lower section of the top. That's really cool. :)

Yeah, those panels are a bit bigger than what we usually see on ST. However, if you make them realistically sized, they'll look like pebbles from farther out. (It'll look like cement from a distance) You could always come up with some BS like "Due to its size, it was built with extra large plates."
    Thanks for the comments on the panels. They do look out of place. I'll just change the color on the larger panels so you can't see them. They are extruded and beveled to breakup the bump maps so I will keep them in. I'll render another image later tonight so you guys can judge on the changes. Also I'm thinking to raise the base of the tower with a cylinder instead of a cone. I want vertical walls running parallel to the city scape that I will be adding.
    Ummm...not really a difference here. You can still see the panels a little. :(

yqwmlnF.jpg

Full Res
    http://i.imgur.com/yqwmlnF.jpg
    Yeah, it pretty much looks the same. You may just want to go with the "really big panels" explanation. ;)

One thing I personally don't like about bump maps is how they "disappear" when light isn't directly hitting them. (not a criticism of your work, but merely an observation about bump maps in general)
    Yeah, it pretty much looks the same. You may just want to go with the "really big panels" explanation. ;)

One thing I personally don't like about bump maps is how they "disappear" when light isn't directly hitting them. (not a criticism of your work, but merely an observation about bump maps in general)

Yeah I think you're right. I actually can see the bumps on the lower portion on the night side. I might have to redo the "saucer" brim though. It looks like a checker board. It's weird because I didn't notice it until you guys said something. :lol:
  • Bmused55Bmused55177 Posts: 487Member
    F**k me this thing is huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge!

I had quite forgotten about this until now.
    Bmused55 wrote: »
    F**k me this thing is huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge!

I had quite forgotten about this until now.

HAHAHA!! :lol: TWSS!

Ok evil_genius one last try at the panels before I move on. Got rid of the checker board look on the upper section.

pHSO0Ym.jpg

Full Res
    http://i.imgur.com/pHSO0Ym.jpg
    That looks much better. :thumb:
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    Not sure I agree, Evil. To my unpracticed eye it looks a bit like Space Stucco. :D

An odd question, since the "it uses biiiig panels" explanation for texturing it has been bandied about, why not make it nearly matte? Let it use "normal" sized panels--which, on the scale of this thing will dwindle down to a slight fuzzing of the hull. Making the surface crenelated and textured like it is is drifting away from Trek (even the over-paneled Enterprise-D era Trek) and heading towards the "look at all the PIPES" realm of Star Wars.

But, that's just me. I'd hesitate to even consider modeling something on this scale!!
    Sanderlee wrote: »
    I'd hesitate to even consider modeling something on this scale!!

Yeah, me too. ;) I think the largest space station I ever did was the old Starfleet Headquarters station, which would probably it inside the top part of this. :lol:
  • RichardRichard0 Posts: 0Member
    Are you going to continue to update your Excalibur? I imagine since transporters would be too slow they would teleport to get from one place to another.