Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Noob question

Steven_PicklesSteven_Pickles0 Posts: 0Member
I have been on this forum for a while and so far I've pretty much been using MS Paint. I tried to use Google Sketchup but I have been told that Blender is a good 3D rendering program for people getting started. Whats it like to use, for example, the learning curve needed for people who have never used 3D rendering software? What would you say are realistic system requirements needed to run blender smoothly?

Thanks for any advice you can all give.
Post edited by Steven_Pickles on

• AlnairAlnair181 Posts: 255Member
    You can run Blender on every halfway up-to-date PC. I would recommend any modern AMD or Intel multicore CPU not older than two or three years and at least 4 GB ram running a 64bit OS. The graphic card depends on your personal needs. For a beginner I wouldn't recommend an expensive pro card like a FireGL or a Quadro. Any medium sized gaming card will be sufficient. I'm running Blender on a GF gtx560TI without problems besides some openGL issues in polygon heavy scenes - but that's a common problem with any modern NVidia gaming card.
    The learning curve will be quite steep with every 3D programm you choose. The best approach to learn the basics is to search for a few beginners tutorials on youtube for your 3D programm and follow them closely. After a few tutorials it will be obvious whether you have the necessary basic skills (like a good spatial sense and artistic skills) and the self-discipline and staying power or not. Your first models will most likely disappoint you if you have had too high expectations. But even if they look like crap don't be discouraged. Even the best artists here on SFM or on cgtalk once were beginners... ;)
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Blender is an excellent app, but the interface is complicated and the learning curve isnA’t that easy.
    I believe the learning curve is the best with Sketchup. See some examples:
    http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showth...ck-in-SketchUp
    http://ixlrlxi.livejournal.com/113673.html#cutid1
    IA’m a max user, but tryed Sketchup just to see what I can do with that app, and got to much satisfied. Sketchup donA’t have a rendering system integrated, but Kirkythea is a good and free option. Other thing not that good in sketchup is about modelling curved surfaces and organics, but even here you can find good and free plugins. There are a lot of tuts out there, and dedicated forums.
    Already forgot.... IA’m able to run Sketchup 8 on a PC with AMD Semprom 2400+ cpu, 512 RAM and onboard video-card. It donA’t run that fast, of course, but does the job.
    Talking about max 9 for comparisson purposes, it runs on a quad-core cpu with 4gb RAM and offboard video card.
    Just give it a try with sketchup. Later, if you desire, you can move to another app with more security and some experience ;)
  • Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
    I think it might be less complicated to just learn Blender. I think the new version's interface (2.6 and up) is MUCH more intuitive than the old set up. I was tearing my hair out a number of times trying to learn Blender, but it was always because i couldn't find this or that button. Or because I couldn't get the booleans to cut right... a lot of that has been smoothed out. I wish this version had been available for me to learn on.

I think the trick is to set particular goals and to be happy when you achieve them. You can't learn everything at once. Begin by making just the basic shapes. Learn a little rendering and animation along the way. Go on to texturing... whatever appeals to you and compels you forward.

Blender is a free program with no limits. You can go as high as you want with it, and all you need is the program itself and a good computer. And there's LOTS of help on the net if you need it.
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    you know, even professionals use gaming computer to do 3d stuff.
    so any computer that runs unreal 3 based games is ok.

learning curve is step by step. youtube and watch tutorials.
    1st model, then textures, then lights, then renders.
  • Steven_PicklesSteven_Pickles0 Posts: 0Member
    Thank you all for the advice. Its given me a better idea of the type of system I need as well a positive feeling at having a go with blender once I'm set up
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    blender is good although most of the models i have made are in sketchup(also very good) so i needed to convert them to obj or 3ds. my computer is old but i can still manage to run blender, just.