Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DObi-Wan Kenobi Lightsaber

shaneongleyshaneongley0 Posts: 0Member
edited March 2012 in Work in Progress #1
Hey guys,

haven't modelled anything in a while so i decided to give Obi-Wan's lightsaber a go, made some alright progress so far, let me know what you guys think, also if anyone has any tips on the handle or the best way to make the blade that would be great,

Thanks
94241.jpg
94242.jpg
Post edited by shaneongley on
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Nice start. I built this one a few years ago, it's my favorite lightsaber hilt design. :)
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Looking like a good start there. As far as fashioning a blade is concerned, if you're using 3DS Max there is a glow effect you can apply to a material under the render settings. Set your material ID to 2 on the material and your blade mesh. You can then build a mesh for the blade and apply the material with a glow to it. To get a lightsaber-esque effect you want to set the glow to a high intensity with a fairly tight scale, and also alter the glow colour to taste.
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    Not sure if you want/need this, but here is some Obi-Wan ANH reference material I collected a back around 2005 when I was going through my saber modelling phase. It was around the time the guys over at RPF finally figured out the source of the "gear" (which turned out to be a heatsink on a machinegun as I recall).

http://www.mediafire.com/file/7yqnmq5hnxhkxr9/Obi-Wan_Saber_Reference.7z
  • shaneongleyshaneongley0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks for the advice guys, i've been messing around with that glow effect in 3ds max with some pretty good results. Thanks for those reference images, they're fantastic, im sure they'll be very helpful, here's a small update with some basic colours thrown on it.

Render 1.jpg
    94306.jpg
    Looks great. :)

Are you going with an Episode III look? That's what it looks like so far. Are you going to do the covertech clip belt attachment or the D-ring?
  • shaneongleyshaneongley0 Posts: 0Member
    Yeh im pretty sure im going for the shiny episode 3 version, im in the process of working out the best way to make the belt clip at the moment
    It was shiny in Episode IV, but the hand grips and some of the other parts were different colors. The covertec belt clips are pretty easy, I usually just box model them from a cylinder.
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    The Covertech clips are super easy - just a cylinder with a notch in the middle. There's a close-up pic of the one on the MR ROTS hilt in that set of references I posted above. ROTS 08.jpg is the image in question.

The ROTS hilt is a much simplified version of the original, with many details changed/removed (obviously as the original ANH hilt was cobbled together from various real-world components, whereas the ROTS hilt was custom fabricated).

Edit: Here's a schematic I dug up from my one of my other saber folders. Sorry about the poor quality. Dimensions should be in mm.

mjj3f.jpg

The one on the Obi ROTS hilt doesn't appear to have the standoff on the bottom depicted there. That was used on some of the other hilts to space it out to clear certain obstructions. You can ignore the 31.75 measurement on the far right too.