Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

SPACE: 1999 Reboot

gusdorfgusdorf175 Posts: 51Member
edited February 2012 in General Discussion #1
SPACE: 1999 to be Revamped for TV as SPACE: 2099

http://collider.com/space-2099/144227/
Post edited by gusdorf on

• PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    This could be good, or it could be bad. Very bad indeed.
    It seems to me every time they remake a show it suffers from "we loved the show so much, we had to change it completely."
    Having said that. I can see a lot of good options if the show was remake. However their biggest problem will be explaining the passing a new planets every other week.
    People are a lot more space savy these days.
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    You know, there's still something iconic about that shot of the moon "falling" away from the Earth near the end.
    If they can fix the warp-speed issue (which they did try to explain at least twice in the first season) this could be really interesting.

Of course, I'd also love to see a re-imagine of UFO (for which Space:1999 was originally intended as a quasi-sequel).
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    i loved that serie :)
    if they achieve what they did with galactica, we'll have at least 2 good seasons

i want a chineese medical officer who plays with acupuncture to heal whatever comes through
    UFO is getting a movie.....well maybe. The project hasn't seen much action over the last 12 months, so it might have gone into development hell.
    http://www.ufo-themovie.com/shado/
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Ah yes, a good ol' show.

And yet another remake... Y'know, I'm beginning to believe that there are too many remakes. I mean, some shows were too good to make a remake, spinoff, sequel, prequel, or anything with it. Just leave it there, in peace and dignity.

I'm not saying that Space 1999 is such one (which I'm sure there are some who see it as such), I just think that the whole remake-business is destroying legends in general.
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    Aresius wrote: »
    I just think that the whole remake-business is destroying legends in general.

they dont care. it brings money every single time. that's the fantastic world we are living in. nobody likes it except the ones who get the money
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    And, while I agree that remakes and re-imaginings are annoying, they are also a way to bring material people love back in a way that will interest new audiences.

I mean, in a way every James Bond movie is a re-imagining, after all. Heck, there's even an Internet theory that says James Bond isn't the character but the code name for a succession of agents (ie - each actor really IS a different Bond, all sharing a single cover story).

Still, I think since we're safely past 1980 and 1999, remaking these two properties could be seriously cool. And thanks for the head's up on that UFO site. Had NO IDEA that was in the works!

But, in BOTH cases they'd better keep the damned theme-song, or have something really like it! :)
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    It'll be interesting to see where they take this. I hope they keep the original theme song, even if they update it!
  • FalinFalin0 Posts: 0Member
    Hmm..i'm suspecting they'll just trash it like Abrams did with the Star trek reboot and as the other "reboots" have been done lately, bad stories, to flashy of sets, and impossible over all plot.

although I could see the warp issue being covered with an "experimental" lab issue on the moon going awry and sending the moon off.
    @ Sanderlee. I know the UFO movie was going to use the original score, but re-recorded using an orchestra. They had a track on the site for awhile, but it's not there anymore.