Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMy Starfleet Museum Thread

• FlankerFlanker0 Posts: 0Member
    The torpedo tubes aside (which look okay in my opinion)I have to say your texturing is shaping up quite well. Subtle but good looking. It is great to see you also post your work on deviant art ;) keep it up!
  • RekkertRekkert4260 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,326Member
    Thanks Flanker! Yes, I created that account years ago to post my work but then somehow I forgot to do it. :p Now I'll be posting all my finished work there, it's also a great source for inspiration.

Some more work, this is going pretty slow, as I have to check the geometry and all of that after every shape I do, I can see why textures are much more generally used.

I was thinking about adding something else in the bottom saucer, it looks too empty right now, any suggestion?
    92867.jpg
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804607 Posts: 11,186Member
    Yeah, modeled hull markings can be a pain, but they're worth it in the end. It's looking great so far. :)

You could always do some windows and/or panels, similar to what's on the 1701 saucer bottom.
  • publiusrpubliusr555 Posts: 1,753Member
    Really looking nice. Maybe thouse Kelvin type doors could be added to the bottom in this case...
  • chris.smuggychris.smuggy0 Posts: 0Member
    That looks great. My suggestion for the under side of the saucers is Cargo bay doors, like on the NX-01.
    Rekkert wrote: »
    Thanks Flanker! Yes, I created that account years ago to post my work but then somehow I forgot to do it. :p Now I'll be posting all my finished work there, it's also a great source for inspiration.

Some more work, this is going pretty slow, as I have to check the geometry and all of that after every shape I do, I can see why textures are much more generally used.

I was thinking about adding something else in the bottom saucer, it looks too empty right now, any suggestion?
    I do like the idea of some kind of cargo doors as well. Perhaps a way to easilly supply torpedoes to the torpedo tubes? You could also consider showing some kind of escape pod system?

I basically 'just' joined deviant art. And indeed it is a great source of inspiration.
    Thanks for the suggestion guys! :) I'll probably add some cargo doors similar (but not identical) to the 2 triangular doors the Enterprise had.
    I've also noticed recently that in an image made by Masao somewhere else in the Museum (in the Klingon section I believe), the Valley Forge is shown with windows right above the navigational dome just like the Enterprise, so I might add those as well.

I've finished all the insignias and added all the lights, the ship is almost ready to launch :D
    Besides the aforementioned bottom saucer details I also have yet to finish the Bussard collectors. I originally planed for the fans inside the colectors to be modeled, but I had problems making them more visible, so I replaced them with a texture on the dome itself. I have yet to see how I'll do the inside lights.
    92939.jpg92940.jpg
    It's on the Valley Forge page. Both Thomas Pemberton and Jan Seebald added windows to that area, probably to add a bit of detail. :)

The markings look great. :)
    It's on the Valley Forge page. Both Thomas Pemberton and Jan Seebald added windows to that area, probably to add a bit of detail. :)

Yep, the windows are there too, but I actually mean this chart.
    You can't hotlink to images on there. However, I found the image you're talking about. Yes, it looks like he added windows to that side view. (that's the only pic on there by Masao that has those)
    You can't hotlink to images on there. However, I found the image you're talking about. Yes, it looks like he added windows to that side view. (that's the only pic on there by Masao that has those)
    Damn, I didn't know that the Ex Astris Scientia hotlink blocker was also active on the Museum. But well, you've found the image anyway.:p

I've added the cargo doors, they are pretty similar to those of the Enterprise but having a rectangular shape rather than a triangular one. Other than that, they are just a hole in the hull, nothing fancy here.:)
    92974.jpg
    It looks good. :)
    Damn, I didn't know that the Ex Astris Scientia hotlink blocker was also active on the Museum. But well, you've found the image anyway.:p

I could be wrong, but I think they're on the same server. Bernd might have even set aside some space for Masao's site, but I'm not sure. However, Bernd has a link to the Museum in the main section of his site, (under the heading "Fleet Yards") so I that's why I think they're on the same server.
    Nice details Rekkert :) I think it gives the underside of the saucer something else. If I might suggest somekind of phaser outlet thing for the phaser banks. If it has any on the lower side of the saucer ;)
    Thanks guys!:)

@evil_genius: Yes, according to Masao's introduction to the Museum, they are on the same server, I just didn't know that the hotlink block was server wide.
    However, Bernd has a link to the Museum in the main section of his site, (under the heading "Fleet Yards")
    That's how I've always entered. I'm too lazy to put it on my bookmarks :p, so I first go to Ex Astris Scientia to then enter the Museum.

@Flanker: It has phasers there, but I've decided to hide the emitters to keep it more in the lines of the original Enterprise. Even in the remastered version, the ship seems to fire from the edge of the navigational dome, I've speculated that perhaps this area also serves as a special 360Ao phaser bank. So if I ever show the ship firing phasers, they'll be emitted from there.

I think I've finished the bottom saucer now, I've added some windows and a little hatch like the ones on the Enterprise.
    92989.jpg
    My big clue was just that it's on the Ex Astris Scientia main page and also that Masao has the Ex Astris Scientia logo on every page of the museum. ;) I found the museum through Google years ago, so I've always had it as a separate bookmark.

Nice work on the saucer underside. It looks much more complete now. :)
    :lol: I first discovered EAS and it lead me to the Museum, however like I said before I was very young and all I care about were ship designs, so I explored the Museum a lot sooner than I did with EAS.
    I must say, after all this years, I never saw the EAS logo on the Museum until you mentioned it. :p

I couldn't get the right feel on the Bussard collectors using lights, so I gave up and decided to make it a texture on the dome (yes, I model the things that are supposed to be a texture and I use a texture for the things that are supposed to be modeled, I'm eccentric like that :D). After a lot of tweaking I think I got as close as I can possibly get with my limited understanding of Photoshop.

I may play arround with the hull material some more to make it look more metalic, but other than that, I think now the ship is finished. If anyone has any suggestion about something I may have missed please share it now. I'll start doing some better renders of the ship and send them to Masao to see what he thinks.
    92998.jpg93000.jpg
    Back when I first found EAS, I just cared about ship pics also (modeling references.) However, since then, I've read a few of Bernd's articles. Some are interesting and make you think. Others, I wonder what he's thinking. ;)
    I couldn't get the right feel on the Bussard collectors using lights, so I gave up and decided to make it a texture on the dome (yes, I model the things that are supposed to be a texture and I use a texture for the things that are supposed to be modeled, I'm eccentric like that :D)

Welcome to the club. :D I model my text and stripes but I've never gotten the bussard look I want with lights, so I always use textures.

That looks really good. :)
    In some ways, I like this better than the Connie herself.
    I've tweaked the hull material a bit more to make it more metalic and I've done some bigger renders, they aren't anything special, but more interesting ones will follow. ;)
    u_s_s__sheridan_1_by_rekkert-d4mrhjd.jpg
    u_s_s__sheridan_2_by_rekkert-d4mrhqd.jpg
    u_s_s__sheridan_3_by_rekkert-d4mrhuh.jpg
    You can download them at full size at deviantART.
    Some orthos:
    valley_forge_class_orthographic_views_by_rekkert-d4ncjpt.jpg
    Open in a separate window for full view.
    I've started working on the Belleau Wood-Class yesterday, and after some misadventures I finally managed to modify the saucer to make it taller without ruining all the windows.

The saucer is almost complete, the only things missing are the little colored lights under the shuttlebays.

Also, ignore the name for now.:p
    94032.jpg
    Finished the saucer and started with the secondary hull. I initially thought that the nacelles were in the exact same position as in the Valley Forge, but they're actually a little bit lower, so I've moved them accordingly.
    94046.jpg
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    oooh Pretty! looking good!
    Looking good indeed. It is great to see more TOS era starships
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

I've cut the aft end of the hull and added all the shuttlebay doors.
    The neck and pylons are temporary, I just added them so that the ship looks more complete. :rolleyes:
    94055.jpg
    The Siegfried deserves to be done as well.
    publiusr wrote: »
    The Siegfried deserves to be done as well.

Indeed, I think I'll do it in the future if I don't start with another project before. Though I'll most likely do the refitted version, without the kaminari weapon and a more traditional displacement.
    Finished the neck and added all the, um, boxes around the deflector. I've changed their position a bit to leave space for some windows as shown in Masao's images and some experiments of my own.
    As this ship will coordinate efforts with other ships in emergency situations, while having lots of shuttlecrafts coming in and out all the time, maybe I'll expand the sensor array (translated, it means I might add more "boxes" around the deflector).
    I'll change some stuff on the secondary hull however, I'm still deciding what to do, but I'll most likely add more windows on the back and a big registry number somewhere.
    94099.jpg94100.jpg
    Nearly finished the secondary hull. I've decided to add some more windows all over it and on the neck. All that is left is to add the registry number above the aft shuttlebay and to change all the registration to U.S.S. Tripoli NCC-1558.

I've decided to keep the pylons from the Valley Forge, basically because in my opinion they look better that the angled ones, and besides it doesn't affect the warp plasma at all to channel it inside the ship for a small time before reaching the nacelles, as latter shown in all Starfleet designs starting with the Excelsior.
    94239.jpg
    Looking great, dude. :thumb: