Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Wars - X-Wing revisited

2»

• ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    I have made an Ortho of the fuselage so you can see all details.

x-wing-revisited-019.jpg

More soon :)

Chris
    92136.jpg
    Hi all,

I'm done with the engines:

x-wing-revisited-021.jpg

x-wing-revisited-022.jpg

I'm now starting with the details on the wings.

I hope you like it ... more to come soon :)

Chris
    92232.jpg92233.jpg
  • anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    beautiful as always!
    i may have to move my own x-wing back closer to the top of my to-do list :)
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    She's a beaut mate! coming along very nicely! :)
  • kippakippa0 Posts: 0Member
    Amazing attention to detail. :)
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I agree with the others, it looks fantastic. If we aren't already calling you this, we need to call you the resident X-wing expert. :)
    Hi all,

after I got some new reference material I have modified the Fuselage to look more accurate. Besiede that I put in more details.

Here are some render:
    x-wing-revisited-024.jpg

x-wing-revisited-027.jpg

x-wing-revisited-026.jpg

x-wing-revisited-025.jpg

She looks more complete now but still a lot of details left to do.

I hope you like it ... more to come soon :)

Chris
    92570.jpg92571.jpg92572.jpg92573.jpg
  • stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    Great stuff! I love the X-Wing, one of my all tie favorites! Are you doing any specific ship (Red 1,2,3 etc.)?
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    Red 5 (Luke) wasn't it?
    stonky wrote: »
    Great stuff! I love the X-Wing, one of my all tie favorites! Are you doing any specific ship (Red 1,2,3 etc.)?
    DCB wrote: »
    Red 5 (Luke) wasn't it?

I'll do Red 1, Red 3 and Red 5. Red 2 is completely different to the three others. AFAIK Red2 was Blue 1 first. It was the very first X-Wing in that form we have seen in the movies. Red 2 has much differences in fuselage and in alot of details. So I decided its easier to make 3 out of 1. 1,3,5 are looking very equal, only different in some details.
    That's looking outstanding. Don't you love it when you find more references that help you make your model even more accurate? :)
    That's looking outstanding. Don't you love it when you find more references that help you make your model even more accurate? :)

yesss! :D
  • Darth ZiggyDarth Ziggy0 Posts: 0Member
    Outstanding!
    Hi all, thank you for the nice comments.

here is an update. I have made some more details and put together a Red 5.

x-wing-revisited-028.jpg

x-wing-revisited-029.jpg

x-wing-revisited-030.jpg

x-wing-revisited-031.jpg

x-wing-revisited-032.jpg

Some more details are left to do. I hope you like it

More soon

Chris
    92626.jpg92627.jpg92628.jpg92629.jpg92630.jpg
  • kippakippa0 Posts: 0Member
    Great work as ever. How many polys are in this model now?
    it has about 1 million polys right now
    I'm loving it. Great work, as usual. :D
    It's looking great, as always!

On of the things that you might want to look into is the angle of the open wings - for years it was believed that each wing opened to 15 degrees on the flat inner edge for a combined 30 degrees of spread. 16 degrees is more commonly held now as the open angle upon reviewing all of the reference material available to us today.

I hope you don't mind, but I made a picture demonstrating 16 degrees of spread for a combined 32 degrees (try to ignore the fact that i simply mirrored the wings, which breaks the interlocking detailing obviously):

attachment.php?attachmentid=93955&stc=1&d=1324316987

The truth of the matter is that each model had a slightly different open angle, and that some of the AMT kits from the 70s and 80s actually made it into ROTJ as well, but I guess that it's 1/24 hero's that we pour over most: Red 5 (later Red 4), Red 3, etc. And maybe you're matching one of the X-Wings that didn't open it's wings quite as wide, and if so, just ignore me. :)

Great stuff, looking forward to seeing more!
    stonky wrote: »
    It's looking great, as always!

On of the things that you might want to look into is the angle of the open wings - for years it was believed that each wing opened to 15 degrees on the flat inner edge for a combined 30 degrees of spread. 16 degrees is more commonly held now as the open angle upon reviewing all of the reference material available to us today.

I hope you don't mind, but I made a picture demonstrating 16 degrees of spread for a combined 32 degrees (try to ignore the fact that i simply mirrored the wings, which breaks the interlocking detailing obviously):

attachment.php?attachmentid=93955&stc=1&d=1324316987

The truth of the matter is that each model had a slightly different open angle, and that some of the AMT kits from the 70s and 80s actually made it into ROTJ as well, but I guess that it's 1/24 hero's that we pour over most: Red 5 (later Red 4), Red 3, etc. And maybe you're matching one of the X-Wings that didn't open it's wings quite as wide, and if so, just ignore me. :)

Great stuff, looking forward to seeing more!

hey Terry, thank you very much for your explanations. I never new that. As you I was believed its 15A° but I will change it to 16A° now.

Yes, I'm on the finish line now. Some more details need to be done and the modeling is done (for the Red 5). Then I have to manage the UV mapping which is a pain in the butt :)

again, thank you all for you nice comments, I really appreciate it.
  • psCargilepsCargile417 Posts: 620Member
    If we want to approach the T-65 as an actual vehicle, then manufacturing and maintenance tolerances would give a margin of how much the foils separate. There would be a physical stop--that could be set at 16 degrees--with maybe a 3 to 4 degree margin. In such speculation, not all X-wings would have the same degree of foil spreading.
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Hey Chris,

You are truly a master modeler. Beautiful work as always.

Al
    Agreed. :)
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Seconded :)
  • Greeble_GremlinGreeble_Gremlin331 Posts: 0Member
    Well, it's been quite a while since I've been to this forum,
    I've really missed out.

Kudos! on your most excellent X-wing.
    This has got to be one of the best treatments on this subject that I have seen, truly a labor of Love
    (hope you're not getting tired of hearing praises).

Just curious, are you modeling from the the original styrene Kit parts for your greebles/nurnies?
    I think you really "nailed" the fuselage shape & proportions(not easily done)...Nice work!
    It does have the look & feel of the hero miniatures.

Can we see a solid-wire-frame render?
    -just to see what a million+ Poly X-wing looks like "under the hood" ;)