Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DCity scape

ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
edited September 2011 in Work in Progress #1
I'm experimenting with using 3D images as a basic backdrop for painting over. This is the first time I've combined the two media like this before so only a quick test of the effect and technique before I move on to something more complicated. I might redress the balance to do more in 3D, mostly lighting and maybe more details.

I know a few people have said they've done something like this before, so any ideas how to go about this better?

City3.jpg
City2.jpg
91256.jpg
Post edited by Armondikov on
Tagged:

• CoolhandCoolhand289 Mountain LairPosts: 1,298Member
    looks good, i've done things like this before for example to help with posing a character, getting the perspective right as you have here and also to help work out reflections on a curved surface. I'd have started off with a simple light setup though, to get some hard shadows on there. but i guess that depends on how you're visualising the painting, looking at the lights on the signs you're going for a night time scene. Maybe think about texturing the road rather than painting it from scratch, it might be easier to texture... You can also make good use of easy to apply tiled textures, just box map them on, generic concrete etc, and paint the chips and knocks out of that.
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    Good point about texturing the road, especially at that angle it's a pain to think about how it would look and drawing it is a little technically difficult. I'm not sure how far I'd want to go using stock or generic textures, depends on a style thing as too much texture makes it look textured like a computer game and destroys the painted look.

Like I said, this is testing and practising, so the next stage would be to try it with lights and I'll probably try on some basic textures as you suggest.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1154 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,607Member
    Nice... I look forward to seeing this progress.