Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Question on a new desktop computer

Dr LeeDr Lee2 Posts: 0Member
With my laptop starting to fail on me (and my rapidly waning patience with it) i'm in the market to be looking for a new Desktop. The problem is i haven't a clue what to look for in terms of being able to do 3D work.

With both my father and Brother getting good desktops from a website called 'Overclockers' i went and had a look (with assistance from bro) at what i could get from them.

This is what i've ended up looking at

Win 7
Intel core i5
3.3GHz Quad core processor/CPU
8GB memory
BlueRay drive (optional),ASUS p8p67 le intel e67 (Socket 1155) DDR3
1TB internal HD

the 'standard' option i was given for the graphics card in this was...

OCUK G-force gt430 1024MB GDDR3 graphics card

though for another Aï¿¡40 i could get...

XFX ati radeon HD 5770

and for Aï¿¡8 more i'd be able to upgrade to this...

OCUK G-force gt460 1024MB GDDR5 graphics card +Aï¿¡48

with the 'standard' card option, the bundle (minus mouse & Keyboard, which i already have) the cost is Aï¿¡740 and the higher cost card taking it up to just under Aï¿¡800. (the monitor i'm looking at is another Aï¿¡103),
My question is this.... is this a good set up for 3D modelling and if not, what should i be looking at?

Thank you all in advance for any and all assistance received with this :thumb:
Post edited by Dr Lee on

• backsteptbackstept2089 Posts: 930Member
    with 3D the main thing you need is a good processor and RAM, the standard option you listed looks pretty great
    you'll want a better video card if you want better viewport rendering (as opposed to final rendering) performance or gaming
  • Dr LeeDr Lee2 Posts: 0Member
    so would it be better to go with the more expensive card?
  • backsteptbackstept2089 Posts: 930Member
    if you're just doing 3D then it doesn't matter very much, but if you want to play games then you will want the better card
  • Dr LeeDr Lee2 Posts: 0Member
    I'm not much of a PC gamer, but i often watch movies & TV shows on my laptop....
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That should be plenty of power for doing 3D and watching movies. Really, the GeForce 430 graphics card would be fine for gaming, I have a similar GeForce card in mine and I play a lot of games (most a full or near to full settings.) But you don't have to worry about that anyway. Max should fly on a 3.3GHz quad core with 8GB of DDR3.