Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Linux versions of 3D software & Compatibility

captain_millscaptain_mills174 Posts: 0Member
Heya folks!

It's been a long time since I've been here. I had a lot on my plate, including finishing my master's and a surgery to recover from. Anyway...

I have a 5-year-old Compaq that's been giving me heck, and so I've completely rewritten over to Ubuntu and I'm loving it. The issue is, I had to get rid of my 3DS Max V6 that I've been using FOREVER.

I know all about Blender, and even tried it a few years ago. Way lost!

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a Linux version of a 3D program that might be akin userwise to 3DS Max 6. Any suggestions are going to be appreciated, as I would love to get back into 3D modeling. I will also need some kind of converter from .max files to whatever the new program is, if there is one. I have a lot of half-worked on meshes that I'd like to not have to rework...

Thanks bunches for any and all help!
CMills
Post edited by captain_mills on

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Here's a list of possibilities that I just found using Google:

http://www.linuxsoft.cz/en/sw_list.php?id_kategory=77

The first one on the list (Moonlight 3D) is supposed to be similar to Max. In fact, I might have to try that one myself. :D

I hope that helps. I'm a Linux user also, I'm running Kubuntu right now. :)
  • captain_millscaptain_mills174 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks EG, I'll have to look at that one. I could tell earlier today in some of the threads that you were most likely a linux guy, from your avatar, lol...

Thanks again for your suggestion! I'll give it a try! I hope my meshes are compatible... :)
    No Problem. After many failed attempts to get trueSpace to work with Linux using Wine, I've been looking for some Linux-compatible 3D software also. I've tried Blender and it's nice, I need to try the newer version, most of the stuff I've done was in 2.49.

The problem I'm seeing with Moonlight 3D is that it hasn't been updated in 9 years, that could be problematic. Wings3D is pretty nice, though it can't animate and its rendering capabilities are only so-so. (it's available in the Ubuntu repositories) K3D and Misfit Modeler 3D are a couple others in the repositories, though I haven't really messed with them. As far as complete modeling/animating/rendering solutions, Blender is still the best bet.

Yep, I'm a Linux user, though I also run Windows, mostly for running trueSpace and games. However, I try to run Linux whenever possible because I really like it. :)
  • captain_millscaptain_mills174 Posts: 0Member
    I tried to look at that Moonlight 3D last night to no avail. I'm missing an installation walk-thru. I'm experienced enough to know how to use the Terminal, but noob enough to not know what to tell it to do unless there's a walk-thru. The fact that it hasn't been updated in 9 years bugs me too. I may try Blender this weekend anyway. Like I said before, it was a few years back when I tried it the last time. My issue was that it wasn't very user-friendly to me. Of course, that's because I've grown up being a 3DS Max user. K3D is my next bet.

Just wanted/hoped for a program that closely fit the 3DS Max style of use... Oh well...

Thanks again for your help!
    CM
    Yeah, I think Moonlight 3D is a has-been program. I don't think it will be anything good. It probably was at one point but not anymore. The .tar.bz might be the source, but compiling from source is a PITA, I prefer to avoid it when possible.

I've been at this Linux thing for nearly two years now and I still hate doing things in a terminal. To me, it reminds me of running stuff in DOS in school in the '80s and early '90s. I hate running stuff in DOS.

BTW, check out this site for Blender tutorials:

http://www.blenderguru.com/
  • Capt DaveCapt Dave0 Posts: 0Member
    BTW, check out this site for Blender tutorials:

http://www.blenderguru.com/
    Thanks dude. I needed that link.
    I'm glad I could help. :) Actually, I need to do some of those tutorials myself.
  • traqtraq0 Posts: 0Member
    I use wings3d. love it. for rendering I use kerkythea. (I run ubuntu.)
    I didn't even know Kerkythea works with Linux. :shiner: I guess it's true, you really do learn something new every day. ;)
  • traqtraq0 Posts: 0Member
    not available from the repositories. download it from http://www.kerkythea.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=42&func=fileinfo&id=65. You don't need to build it, just dump it somewhere and run it.

(BTW, as you may have supposed, it's a hell of a lot faster under linux than on windows.)
    Yeah, I went to their site yesterday and found it. ;) But that's still a great link to have. I tried it years ago on Windows but didn't care for it, but maybe I'll give it another go. :)

And, yes, most things are faster in Linux than Windows.