Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Lightwave techniques for adding final detail to a model with a complex shape

rsmayze01rsmayze01171 Posts: 4Member
Hi,

As the title suggests, how do you add final detail to a model with a complex shape.

Going back to a starship example, say i model the secondary hull of a starfleet ship or a battlestar, but i want to model final hull detail. My understanding is that this is done by modelling hull platting on a seperate layer. However, this presents the challenge of actually getting the new detail to line up correctly with the shape of the main model. If the shape of the main model is awkward and complex, then this can be extremely difficult (in my opinion). What is the best technique to get arround this?

Thanks.
Post edited by rsmayze01 on

• fluxfirefluxfire181 Posts: 604Member
    Well there a few tuts out there that demo this... However i find that it is easier to just do the general shape of what i am looking for while putting the main obj in the backround so i can line up where i want it to be.... with round shapes this isn't always the easiest thing to do.. The other option is to copy the section you are working on to the next layer and use the add edges tool under the detail tab to add in the lines you want for the shape of the plating, grids or what not.

Hope that helps... i can post an example later.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    rsmayze01 wrote: »
    Hi,

As the title suggests, how do you add final detail to a model with a complex shape.

Going back to a starship example, say i model the secondary hull of a starfleet ship or a battlestar, but i want to model final hull detail. My understanding is that this is done by modelling hull platting on a seperate layer. However, this presents the challenge of actually getting the new detail to line up correctly with the shape of the main model. If the shape of the main model is awkward and complex, then this can be extremely difficult (in my opinion). What is the best technique to get arround this?

Thanks.
    stencil and extrude from the hull, that way you don't need to worry about lining things up
  • count23count23361 Posts: 781Member
    Yea, stencil... the one tool i miss from Maya, it'll give you much better results then a boolean subtraction (which would be your other option but needs a fair bit of cleanup).

you'll also want to look into rounder and bevel for de-sharpening the edges.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class