Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

AnimationTOS Remastered Projects

Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
edited July 2013 in Finished Work #1
Since I've been suggested to, to combine threads together, if they're of a similar project, I think I'll dedicate this thread to just TOS remastering projects...

The first video is (My VFX - Star Trek: TOS "Where No Man Has Gone Before" (Complete))

Preview:
vlcsnap-2011-07-10-02h16m50s200.jpg

So, the thumbnail for the thread will change for each finished TOS remastering video... the thumbnail for the previous projects post, will be then put image tag... and their will be a link to the post, of the corresponding thumbnail, at the time.

Which episode do you think I should do next... I'm leaning towards "Tomorrow is Yesterday," "Balance of Terror," or "The Tholian Web, "The Trouble with Tribbles."

Post related to Thumbnail
102653.png
Post edited by Chris2005 on
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
32 GB RAM
Windows 11 Pro
Tagged:

• BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    I can't choose which project you should do next, but I'm sure whichever you decide to do it'll look great!
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That's some really nice animation. The only thing that's really lacking for me is some textures on the ship. It looks too bare. It should have a heavy amount of weathering, even more so (perhaps even some visible damage) after its encounter with the barrier. Also, should not the barrier be casting some pink hues onto the ship as it approaches? Anywho, just small things that would enhance the already great animation, IMO. :)

Personally, I'd love to see The Tholian Web next. Those are all great choices but I really love the web spinning part of the effects shots and can't wait to see how you do it. :cool:
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    That's some really nice animation. The only thing that's really lacking for me is some textures on the ship. It looks too bare. It should have a heavy amount of weathering, even more so (perhaps even some visible damage) after its encounter with the barrier. Also, should not the barrier be casting some pink hues onto the ship as it approaches? Anywho, just small things that would enhance the already great animation, IMO. :)

Personally, I'd love to see The Tholian Web next. Those are all great choices but I really love the web spinning part of the effects shots and can't wait to see how you do it. :cool:

I was trying to stay with how the original show looked, whilst still doing it in CG.

I did a shot from the episode a while back, Oct. 2, 2007 to be exact:

But I didn't do any more from it.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    OK, gotcha, it's an homage to the original. :)

Very nice effects shot from The Tholian Web, I like it. :D
    OK, gotcha, it's an homage to the original. :)

Very nice effects shot from The Tholian Web, I like it. :D

Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • Dr-TimelordDr-Timelord0 Posts: 0Member
    While I think your animation effects are top notch, Have you thought about changing the camera angles around and making it your own interpretation instead of just as its seen on the show?

I mean when they did Star Trek: Remastered, they changed alot of the exterior ship and planet shots to than blended in better and didnt seem so re hashed.

If you choose, Balance of Terror, do something we havent seen yet, and time to put your own stamp on it :)

You've shown that you can match shot for shot, but I would like to see you do something with a Zing
    While I think your animation effects are top notch, Have you thought about changing the camera angles around and making it your own interpretation instead of just as its seen on the show?

I mean when they did Star Trek: Remastered, they changed alot of the exterior ship and planet shots to than blended in better and didnt seem so re hashed.

If you choose, Balance of Terror, do something we havent seen yet, and time to put your own stamp on it :)

You've shown that you can match shot for shot, but I would like to see you do something with a Zing

I have put some thought into it, like just now, the shot of the Enterprise traveling at impulse after their encounter with the barrier, is the shot from the remastered episode, and not the stock shot from the original version of the show.

Well, when I change things to much, they just never seem right to me, for some reason, they seem off...

However, as for the barrier in the remastered version, I wish I knew how they made the barrier gaseous looking, I can't seem to find any way to do that, and volumetrics never show up right, and are to limited...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro

attachment.php?attachmentid=91511&d=1310858817
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    That's a really nice job on the effects from The Tholian Web. My only criticism is that the flare on the phasers firing seems a bit too strong. It lights up the whole scene, even the starfield. If you tone that down a bit, I think that shot will look a lot better.
    That's a really nice job on the effects from The Tholian Web. My only criticism is that the flare on the phasers firing seems a bit too strong. It lights up the whole scene, even the starfield. If you tone that down a bit, I think that shot will look a lot better.

Thanks, yea, it does seem a bit bright, easy fix though. :D
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro

It's finally done, I'll be redoing some of my other TOS videos, that I had to remove, due to a persons request over using their model... so expect to see them redone next.

attachment.php?attachmentid=91891&d=1312361730
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Someone requested that you not use their model?! As a person who has released a few models on the internet over the years, I have to say: WTF?! What was the point in releasing it if you don't want people to use it?! I've seen a few projects (still images and animation) where people have used my models and I've been stoked just because someone wanted to use my stuff. But different strokes for different folks. Hopefully, it was a model for which you can easily find a replacement.

The effects look awesome, great work. My favorite parts are the orbiting shots, orbiting Earth and orbiting Sol. Though, everything looks great. :D
    Someone requested that you not use their model?! As a person who has released a few models on the internet over the years, I have to say: WTF?! What was the point in releasing it if you don't want people to use it?! I've seen a few projects (still images and animation) where people have used my models and I've been stoked just because someone wanted to use my stuff. But different strokes for different folks. Hopefully, it was a model for which you can easily find a replacement.

The effects look awesome, great work. My favorite parts are the orbiting shots, orbiting Earth and orbiting Sol. Though, everything looks great. :D

Yea, but sometimes, that's life, I guess.

Well, the replacement being used is KnightRider's TOS Connie. :D

Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    KnightRider's Connie is awesome. I really like the way it looks in that effects sequence. :)

I'm thinking of doing some more Voyager videos next... then I may come back to more TOS stuff...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    That looks great, especially the phasers firing on the planet.

It's interesting, but I don't think about how few effects shots with the ship that some of these episodes have, that one doesn't have a whole lot compared to some of the episodes. I never realized that until I saw them all in a row like that.
    That looks great, especially the phasers firing on the planet.

It's interesting, but I don't think about how few effects shots with the ship that some of these episodes have, that one doesn't have a whole lot compared to some of the episodes. I never realized that until I saw them all in a row like that.

Yea, it doesn't have a lot of shots.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    Great job on the phaser FX!
    Great job on the phaser FX!

Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    New Version:

In comparison to the old version:

I do notice a drastic different in quality, especially when it comes to ambient type things, like in the original version, to get the darker side to appear lighter than black, I just increased Max's ambient color... now instead of doing that, I use GI, and in this version 2 as it were, using AO... drastic differences...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro

Moving onto 'The Doomsday Machine' FX... what I plan on doing is using the remastered sequences as reference, but giving it the 60s look like this video. :)
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    From what I can tell, it looks good. I'm on my laptop right now and it's not playing very well. :( I'll have to watch it later on my desktop.
    I like what you've done, but the one thing that always bugs me about every "remastered" version of the TOS credits that anyone does, is that the ship approach/flyaway never changes... it always looks the same way, like a poorly-mounted/angled model that's flying in an unnatural way.

I wish someone would change that so that the ship is at a correct angle, and flies by and away in a natural and believable way, much like the flyby of the Defiant in "In A Mirror, Darkly". Pics below to illustrate:

inamirrordarkly2_410.jpg

inamirrordarkly2_411.jpg

inamirrordarkly2_412.jpg

inamirrordarkly2_413.jpg

I mean, IMO, the whole point of remastering TOS, is to make it more realistic, not to keep the VFX as cheezy. Just my two cents. As I said, I like your approach... I just wish people would address that flyby bit with more realism.
    I like what you've done, but the one thing that always bugs me about every "remastered" version of the TOS credits that anyone does, is that the ship approach/flyaway never changes... it always looks the same way, like a poorly-mounted/angled model that's flying in an unnatural way.

I wish someone would change that so that the ship is at a correct angle, and flies by and away in a natural and believable way, much like the flyby of the Defiant in "In A Mirror, Darkly". Pics below to illustrate:
    inamirrordarkly2_410.jpg

inamirrordarkly2_411.jpg

inamirrordarkly2_412.jpg

inamirrordarkly2_413.jpg

I mean, IMO, the whole point of remastering TOS, is to make it more realistic, not to keep the VFX as cheezy. Just my two cents. As I said, I like your approach... I just wish people would address that flyby bit with more realism.

Well, when they remastered it, they didn't want to change it too much, while they wanted to improve it, they still wanted to honor the original... as do I... many people weren't thrilled with what they did for TOS-R... the first few episodes had the same FOV as the original shots, then they got creative... in the remastered episode of "Miri" the FOV shots of the Enterprise look closer to the original, just in CG...

TNG's flyby's during the credits are the same way... although at a more straight forward angle to the camera...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Chris2005 wrote: »
    Well, when they remastered it, they didn't want to change it too much, while they wanted to improve it, they still wanted to honor the original... as do I... many people weren't thrilled with what they did for TOS-R...

Yeah, all of that. I like your work because it's an homage to the original. I liked Balance of Terror from TOS-R but and a few others where they did the effects like the original, but I don't care for their more "creative" approaches. In fact, I stopped watching those after a while.
    Like I said, it's just my opinion. Every time I see that opening ship flyby on TOS-R, I just have to shake my head, because fixing the way that looked would have been so easy, and looked so much better.
    Like I said, it's just my opinion. Every time I see that opening ship flyby on TOS-R, I just have to shake my head, because fixing the way that looked would have been so easy, and looked so much better.

True, true.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Very nice work, but I think the "dirt" splotches were too well defined and large (and cyclical). Very, very nice work.

I think it's done... lol.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • NanoGatorNanoGator1 Posts: 0Member
    Okie doke, I'm officially declaring a 'do over' meaning the conversation I just deleted is now over. We're all good, we're all done, let's move on. :)