Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DSuper Star Fury

Klavs81Klavs81224 Posts: 197Member
edited August 2011 in Work in Progress #1
Not sure if this is a reboot or a far distant sequel :)

Based somewhat on the newly found Starfury concept art by Steve Burg. Just a "relax after work" project, not trying to duplicate the concept art 100% or anything, but it's fun to steal elements from the masters! :)
90153.JPG
90154.JPG
90155.JPG
Post edited by Klavs81 on
3.JPG 467.5K
2.JPG 84.7K
1.JPG 261.7K
wibble
Tagged:

• fluxfirefluxfire181 Posts: 604Member
    solid start man.... i think i like this version better then the original :D
  • gusdorfgusdorf175 Posts: 51Member
    Fantastic work. Not enough B5 images out there.
  • Mikey-BMikey-B0 Posts: 0Member
    The Super Fury looks good!
  • GrzesiekGrzesiek0 Posts: 0Member
    Though not sure if I could say it is better then the original like fluxfire ;)... But I would definitely say it fits in the B5 universe. More like a retrofit after all the various engagements. Well done.
  • Mach CritMach Crit0 Posts: 0Member
    Oooh, very nice. I always liked the Star Furies. Somebody was thinking alot about how to do combat in space when those were designed. I've always loved the directional engines and capabilities.
  • Klavs81Klavs81224 Posts: 197Member
    Went back to the classic design for a while, with a couple improvements and lots more detail. They never seemed to use those upper cannons, so I changed them into a couple of optical tracker turrets. Also a bunch of other small changes to close up a bunch of hollow areas, got to have mass to store that propellant!
    90202.JPG90203.JPG90204.JPG
    wibble
  • blackmambablackmamba0 Posts: 0Member
    looks great man
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    Cool, you dont see many people modeling these :) Great work.. I always wondered if the pilots drew straws to fly these babies... cannon fodder is an understatement...

nice work ...
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    i love these ships, nice job!
  • LockeFPLockeFP171 Posts: 0Member
    Excellent detail, there. Starfuries always looked like the most plausible space fighter in scifi to me. As for fuel storage, wouldn't it make sense to have it in the wings like modern aircraft?
    Thanks everybody, I'm back to working on the Super Fury, here's an update. Still some geometry issues on the top wing, but I'm having fun adding details.

@LockeFP, I never knew a pilot who would refuse extra fuel! (or propellant, if you're talking rockets) I just closed up some of the open spaces between the wings in the original and added some extra equipment and black boxes. There's gas in the wings, to be sure, but now there's just more of it!

With the Super Fury cockpit being just a little larger than the standard 'Fury (Which is already pretty big) the Super Fury actually scales out a little smaller than the original. Hmm, interesting. Now it kind of reminds me a little of a Minbari fighter or something similar. Maybe a Minbari/Human/ISA design
    90219.JPG90220.JPG90221.JPG90223.JPG
    1.JPG 70.2K
    2.JPG 46.5K
    3.JPG 178.9K
    4.JPG 112.6K
    wibble
  • BrianSzepBrianSzep187 Posts: 115Member
    Looks good. Do you know about the B5 contest over at foundation3d.com?

-Brian
  • madmattmadmatt0 Posts: 0Member
    I love it!!!! The Model with the front "grill" is my favourite....

Bye
    BrianSzep wrote: »
    Looks good. Do you know about the B5 contest over at foundation3d.com?

-Brian

I didn't, but I do now! Thanks for the heads up, now I have a reason to get these babies finished!
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    I will admit that at first I wasnt too keen on all the changes you were making....but now,damn it, I love this thing. More please!!
    More details here and there, re-worked the tines in the back of the engines, and started hanging ordinance and drop-tanks everywhere. Nothing like a visible warhead (or 6!) to show you mean business. :)
    90232.JPG90233.JPG90234.JPG90235.jpg
    1.JPG 43.8K
    2.JPG 158.1K
    3.JPG 24.5K
    4.jpg 389.4K
    wibble
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    While I like what you've done, there is one element to the missiles and tanks. They are arranged on the bottom of a fighter which doesn't fight in an environment with a bottom.
    What I mean is you can't drop a tank, but you can fling a tank away from yourself, in Zero-G.
    I know the cockpit has an up and down, but the rest of the fury doesn't need one.
    Pagrin wrote: »
    While I like what you've done, there is one element to the missiles and tanks. They are arranged on the bottom of a fighter which doesn't fight in an environment with a bottom.
    What I mean is you can't drop a tank, but you can fling a tank away from yourself, in Zero-G.
    I know the cockpit has an up and down, but the rest of the fury doesn't need one.

Unless you are one of the poor ground crew that has to load missiles and bombs onto the thing in the 1.1G Cobra bays on B5 or at the ends of the rotating section of an Omega class destroyer. Then you would care very much how high you had to lift a missile, or how easy it is to roll up a drop tank on a cart and attach it. :D

As for releasing the tanks, explosive or pneumatic mounts always shove the ordiance in one direction: "away" Missiles would be accelerating "away" also. :)
    Possible, tho, to release ordinance during a high G maneuver and the missile will drop onto the lower wing before its own thrust takes over.
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Missiles are generally on rails so they slide forward rather than being pushed down in the same fashion as bombs. Google LAU-128, LAU-129 or LAU-88 for info.

OT, the star fury looks awesome. I love this version. :thumb:
    I was thinking a rail system would negate any issues. However, I didn't recall anything but racks on a F-15. Still, I think the new Fury rocks.
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    The LAU-106s on F-15Es are the exception because the missiles are tucked up into the conformal fuel tanks to create less drag so they need to be pushed away. The layout of the ordinance on the Star Fury here wouldn't have that issue so rails would be perfect here. :)
  • Knight26Knight26192 Posts: 838Member
    Love the design, defintely looks like a next gen 'fury maybe an ISA fury.
  • PipPip171 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice - The more streamlined and beefier design definately has the "high-tech" looks when comparing it to the original B5 design. :cool:
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    The alternate cockpit has something very fishy about it - but I don't mean that in a bad way :)

I could very well imagine this one coexisting with the um..."more regular" design as a heavier variant, a "bomber" if you will, or just what it looks like, a beefier version.
    Working on the cockpit and the pilot. Not 100% accurate to the show, but close enough for my needs. :)

Thanks everybody for the great comments!
    90429.JPG90430.JPG90431.JPG90432.JPG
    1.JPG 316.1K
    2.JPG 387.4K
    3.JPG 61.2K
    wibble
  • CalCal0 Posts: 0Member
    So good to see someone working on this beautiful ship, so often overlooked. It's great to see it being brought back to life with such care. Great project.:thumb:
    Thanks Cal, here's an update on texturing. Now to start weathering. Not too heavy though, this baby is pretty new.
    90538.jpg
    1.jpg 152.1K
    wibble
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Wow. Looking fantastic, Klavs! The cockpit area especially looks very impressive. Looking forward to seeing this one progress. :)
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    Wow, this looks outstanding:thumb: