Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D=Star Trek: Expanding Horizon= A Fan Series WIP

trekie015trekie0150 Posts: 0Member
edited August 2012 in Work in Progress #1
=Star Trek: Expanding Horizon=

I would like to introduce Expanding Horizon, a fan series. I was hoping that here I could find some recruits to make this work.

Basically, this is a LONG TERM PROJECT. This means that it probably won't be able to start for years due to factors such as money, resources, my age... But still, it is a goal which I believe to be achievable so why not start planning now? :)

I would appreciate starship design tips and such, so that the ship is immediately recognizable.

In order to sign up, visit The forum.

Currently monetary compensation is unavailable because of the fact that Star Trek fan productions can not be sold. I hope that those who are devoted enough to work for the satisfaction of creating an amazing fan series will volunteer their time and effort to create an extraordinary result.

Positions Needed:

- Cast

- Set designers/builders

- Prop designers/builders

- Costume designers/creators

- Lighting

- Editors

- Camera operators

- Sound

- CGI artists

- Fact checker (to ensure everything is cannon)

The info below may change at any time:

CAST:

=/= Captain ======================== Jacob Polaris | 5/6-Human 1/6-Betazoid
A—A–
=/= First Officer/Chief of Ops (& works @ MSD) == -Name Undecided-| -species Undecided-
A—A–
=/= Security/Tactical ================== Yarok | Romulan
A—A–
=/= Helm ========================= -Name Undecided-|-species Undecided-
A—A–
=/= Chief Engineering Officer ============= -Name Undecided-|Trill
A—A–
=/= Chief Medical Officer ================ SMH
A—A–
=/= Chief Science Officer ================ -Name Undecided-|-species Undecided-
A—A–
{Friendships and history pertaining to characters to be decided with consent of actors.}

Checklist:
~~~~~~~~~~
* CGI cutscenes (if you have any experience with 3ds max post)

*Compose main theme music

* Find Maine trekkies (if youA’re one post)

* Build sets

* Make a website

*Create MSD

* Whatever other suggestions you may have

SHIP SPECS:

Affiliation: Federation

Class of Ship: Comet class

Name of ship: USS Endeavour

Registration of ship: NCC-757501

Ship type: Heavy Explorer/ Experimental (no NX reg. b/c only minor tech is Exp.)

First commissioning date: 56247.71

Length: meters, =undetermined=

width: meters, =undetermined=

height: meters =undetermined=

Decks: 10? 18?

displacement: metric tons: =undetermined=

Complement: 38 officers + 100 crew

Speed: Warp 7 (cruise),

Warp 9.53 A– 18hrs. (max.),

Warp 9.998 A– 90mins. (max. emergency)

Emergency evac. limit: 350 people

Max. sublight speed: .27c

Armament: 10 type XIII phaser arrays, 1 type XIII phaser turret, 2 forward torpeedo launchers, 1 aft torpeedo launcher (torpedo bays include torpedo replicators. 10/hr.) Type Q-III Photon Torpedo, Type XXVI Quantum Torpedo.

Torpedo compliment: 130

Probe compliment: 95

Defense: =EXP= Automatic Ultra-Rapid Remodulating Regenerative Deflector Shields, =EXP= FSQ Primary Force Field & Deflector Control System, Heavy Duranium/Tritanium Hull Plating (Multiple Layers)

Embarked craft:

CaptainA’s yacht/areo shuttle;
Da Vinci

4 type 9 shuttles;
Janeway
Tesla
Mobius
Wells

3 type 11 shuttles
Apollo
Grissom
Trekker

Thank you for your assistance.

-Daniel :thumb:
95832.jpg
Post edited by trekie015 on
Tagged:

• trekie015trekie0150 Posts: 0Member
    I have been working on the bridge and saucer design as well as the warp effects. Let me know what you think!
    90292.jpg90293.jpg90294.jpg90296.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804784 Posts: 11,299Member
    Schweet. I have a weakness for fan films, especially Trek fan films. :D

The saucer is looking good so far, what software are you using?
    I'm using the student version of 3ds max. And, I would love any input you have. :)
    Evil Genius, I viewed your webpage, your renderings are incredible and any ideas you have would be helpful! :D
    Thanks, though I don't know exactly what you're trying to achieve, so I don't know yet if I have any ideas. ;)

Do you have a drawing or something of what your finished ship is going to look like or are you making it up as you go?
    I'm going by the above general specs, but I am, for the most part, making it up.
    First Internal Test

Well, don't I feel inferior, I tried my first corridor rendering and this is how it turned out... Well I need more practice and a whole lot more detail. More updates to come. :p

attachment.php?attachmentid=91446&d=1310529285
    90367.jpg
    Starting Afresh

Well, I started a new saucer with GREEBLES! :lol:
    Let me know what you think!

attachment.php?attachmentid=91460&d=1310580708
    attachment.php?attachmentid=91459&d=1310580708
    attachment.php?attachmentid=91461&d=1310580746
    90379.jpg90380.jpg90381.jpg
  • fluxfirefluxfire181 Posts: 604Member
    While i do think the second version is better then the previous version... Saucer wise.... I didn't see on your forum what the overall ship design is... Would you happen to have a sketch? As for the internal render.... you are correct could use some more textures... though the lighting isn't too bad just needs to be tweeked... Which lighting style are you going for? i.e. Sovereign.. Intrepid...Defiant..Galaxy???
    That corridor render looks pretty nice. Like you said, it needs more details, but it's a start. :)

The new saucer does look better, though I too am interested in seeing what the overall design is.
    fluxfire wrote: »
    While i do think the second version is better then the previous version... Saucer wise.... I didn't see on your forum what the overall ship design is... Would you happen to have a sketch? As for the internal render.... you are correct could use some more textures... though the lighting isn't too bad just needs to be tweeked... Which lighting style are you going for? i.e. Sovereign.. Intrepid...Defiant..Galaxy???
    That corridor render looks pretty nice. Like you said, it needs more details, but it's a start. :)

The new saucer does look better, though I too am interested in seeing what the overall design is.

=============

Well, first off, thanks for replying, the hallway is meant to be like a slightly different intrepid type,with a militaristic feel. the main lighting will be emitted from the adapter sections. (No Adapters Pictured) The red alert and also white light emitters will be shining from the sides of the floor upwards. (Pictured)
    In all, there will be [1] the adapter section [2] the hall section with lights [3] hall section without lights -for doors-

As for the overall design... I have probably drawn over three hundred star trek ship schematics, MSDs, and bridge plans, all of which may be good for other ships but I was never happy with them for the main, hero ship. (Apart from one bridge I am happy with.) This time, I am modeling it first with no general direction apart from those listed and a few of my own bits. This concept, while immensely freeing is not the best way to design... I'll start working on low poly models depicting the general shape. I'll also try to create some more internal renderings.
    That's how I design ships (I hate drawing.) It sometimes works, other times you wind up with a FUBAR mess and have to leave it and move onto something else. :lol:
    trekie015 wrote: »
    As for the overall design... I have probably drawn over three hundred star trek ship schematics, MSDs, and bridge plans, all of which may be good for other ships but I was never happy with them for the main, hero ship. (Apart from one bridge I am happy with.) This time, I am modeling it first with no general direction apart from those listed and a few of my own bits. This concept, while immensely freeing is not the best way to design... I'll start working on low poly models depicting the general shape. I'll also try to create some more internal renderings.

Like evil here i do the same as well with my own designs... i have an idea and i run with some times it works out most of the time it doesn't but i do some times reuse them or go back and start them over.....
    Overall Shape

Well, this is the main shape, for the moment. Not very happy with it, but it's a start. Let me know what you think.

attachment.php?attachmentid=91532&d=1311009355
    attachment.php?attachmentid=91533&d=1311009355
    attachment.php?attachmentid=91534&d=1311009369
    attachment.php?attachmentid=91535&d=1311009369
    90445.jpg90446.jpg90447.jpg90448.jpg
    It's kind of flat but it's a good start. (it's a pancake ship ;))
    Yes, I rather like the flat ships, it won't be this flat, but I created this small mesh in just a few minutes...
    Yeah, I figured this wasn't an actual representation of what the ship will look like in the end as much as a study model, I just had to joke a bit. :devil: In all seriousness, I like the design, it's very 24th century. :D
  • Capt DaveCapt Dave0 Posts: 0Member
    Only one Kibits. Its not possible to be 1/6 anything. You can be 1/2, 1/4, 1/8. If your father is a half and you mother is a 1/4 that makes you 3/8ths.
    Ok now that i have an idea of the shape... It makes a bit more sense what your going for... Now i do realize you like flatter ships however might i recommend either raising up the nacelles or extending the hull downward a bit... Or perhaps both if your enclined to do so... Nice mockup :D
    I think I will have the saucer section on one level, then the engineering hull and nacelles will be lowered. I want to go for a different design, sleek though, make it unique so that from far away, amongst a fleet of ships it will be recognizable. Like how if you see a nebula class from afar it is obviously a nebula. Any ideas on how I can achieve this?
    Here is the only certain thing, the bridge module:
    (plus a neat render background!)

attachment.php?attachmentid=91540&d=1311041209
    90453.jpg
  • killakanzkillakanz176 Posts: 112Member
    I like the layout, but as has already been stated, it's a little too flat.

Also, the ship's name... USS Endeavour, really? Can't you come up with something a bit more original? Endeavour has been over-used.
    Ok, I'll think of other names then. Any ideas on how I can make the ship original and stand out?
    Another New Saucer

As far as the name goes, I am open to suggestions. And... here are some new renders!

Front Elevation
    attachment.php?attachmentid=91571&d=1311188300

Side Elevation
    attachment.php?attachmentid=91572&d=1311188300

Dorsal View
    attachment.php?attachmentid=91573&d=1311188317

Dorsal Perspective
    attachment.php?attachmentid=91574&d=1311188317

Ventral Perspective
    attachment.php?attachmentid=91575&d=1311188328
    90482.jpg90483.jpg90484.jpg90485.jpg90486.jpg
    Wow, long time since I've been here. Working some more, do you think Discovery would be a good name or Pathfinder? Any other suggestions?
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    Interesting. I can't wait to feature this new Fan Production on "New Worlds". I love the flat Prometheus-style design. I'd leave everything completely as-is. No raising nor lowering the nacelles. But, for future refits, perhaps a docking point along the spine for an overhead AWACS module or a third nacelle. Maybe an underslung Oberth-Class sensor / cargo / medical assistance / tactical / "other" module.
    Thank you Hellsgate! Your enthusiasm is greatly appreciated. I feel that the above saucer is a little too large so I shall be starting over once more. Feel free to contribute ideas.
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    Will your new saucer include a Captain's Yacht? Arrow-Class, Aerowing or Interceptor-Class (Morpheus-type)?

attachment.php?attachmentid=92070&stc=1&d=1313030849
    90920.png90921.png90922.png
    Hmm, I think I will design it more like the delta flyer with extending nacelles upon launch. I was also considering having several hallways that run on the edge of the deck so on one side there will be windows. Sort of like the Enterprise J set but with small windows roughly twice the size of those on modern airplanes. What do you think?