Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

References for Paramount Stages 8 & 9

count23count23361 Posts: 781Member
Howdy folks, I'm going to kick off my vaguely renewed interest in Maya by trying to model the Enterprise-D corridor sets as they stood in both stages 8 & 9 at paramount. I'm wondering, hoping that some folks have some good reference material in regards to the floorplans. i've found some low res stuff at trekplace adn Pat's star trek stage historys sites but they aren't too good.

I'm a stickler for accuracy, so if anyone can point me in the direction of some better ones, It'd be much appreciated.

Also, if anyone has any dimensions for these, (width, height, etc) it would be much appreciated, I've eyeballed most of it from screencaps and think I have a fair idea of what the dimensions are, but I'd like some offical measurements if possible.
Post edited by count23 on
Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
Ambassador Class

• homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    talk to tnpir4002, he built a lot of sets in bryce, and i think he got his hands on some blueprints as well. Also try doug drexlers blog (http://drexfiles.wordpress.com) and Jose Ralat i think either posted some on his site (http://www.okudagrams.com/forum/forum.php) or made reference to having it somewhere
  • count23count23361 Posts: 781Member
    homer, I've spoken to tnpir already, he used the few references he could get from Pats. (We've been discussing set building on and off for the last 12 months :) ). He settled for Pat's, but no matter how hard i try, I just can't shake the "perfection" thing, I wanna get them as accurate or correct as possible.

I've tried JoseRalats site, but couldn't find any blueprints (Granted it also took a month for an admin to get back to me when neither of my accounts would activate).
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • YaricYaric0 Posts: 0Member
    Well even though you are a stickler for accuracy, you may have to live with the fact the blueprints no longer exist except somewhere locked up in paramount. They built those sets in like... 1979 didn't they? Even if they did exist, the chance of finding the person that knows where they even are is probably nearly impossible. Anyways, not trying to be pessimistic, but as with all things star trek, you just have to put your creative touch on it. Hell, they couldn't even build the same thing twice on the show. The star of the show, the galaxy class enterprise looked almost completely different from the 4 footer to 6 footer.
    Yaric: hah, don't I know that. But the sets were build in 89 and upgraded in 91, they stood untouched until Voyager though and were apparently rebuilt well enough in Enterprise :P

But yea, I guess I'll have to stick with the lower quality ones, I really just wanted measurements and dimensions to be honest, to verify the ones I've guessed are good enough.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    Nadesico wrote: »
    Yaric: hah, don't I know that. But the sets were build in 89 and upgraded in 91, they stood untouched until Voyager though and were apparently rebuilt well enough in Enterprise :P

But yea, I guess I'll have to stick with the lower quality ones, I really just wanted measurements and dimensions to be honest, to verify the ones I've guessed are good enough.

send a shout to Doug Drexler or John Eaves (johneaves.wordpress.com) - theres a better than even chance one of them posted it on his blog, or knows how to access it. Further, i distinctly remember a conversation going on in one of the threads (could it have been tnpir?) regarding the scale, and dimensions, and had basically extrapolated the correct numbers. hell, maybe it was even seanr?
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    you mean something like this?

http://www.ottens.co.uk/forgottentrek/images/TNG/TNG_SetLayout.gif

I'm sure I have seen a nice version of this with measurements and stuff, but I don't know where and I don't know if it was the D or another ship sorry
    send a shout to Doug Drexler or John Eaves (johneaves.wordpress.com) - theres a better than even chance one of them posted it on his blog, or knows how to access it. Further, i distinctly remember a conversation going on in one of the threads (could it have been tnpir?) regarding the scale, and dimensions, and had basically extrapolated the correct numbers. hell, maybe it was even seanr?

I took a look at drexfiles before I posted here, he did do a mockup of the TNG stage 9 set but confessed since he was ballparking it all, most of it was incorrect. All I can find out on his site from his posts was that they roughly conformed to US building standards, which I based most of my own measurements on, as a guess. (But they're still quite a bit off when I put it into production)
    IRML wrote: »
    you mean something like this?

http://www.ottens.co.uk/forgottentrek/images/TNG/TNG_SetLayout.gif

I'm sure I have seen a nice version of this with measurements and stuff, but I don't know where and I don't know if it was the D or another ship sorry

Thanks for that, but it's definitely not Stage 9, that looks like some fan's gone and extrapolated like crazy.. and lost a lot of bits in the process. But yea, from all the research I've done, the closest I found to a plan with measurements was a bit of blurry measurements on one of JoseRalat's posts on okudagrams.com that measured 10 forward, 10 feet from floor to ceiling, 8 feet tall doors, which makes sense but if they were the same for the normal corridors, Jonathan Frakes would be 8'4"!

From all the screencaps i've found, I'm guessing that the corridor sets could be no higher then 8 foot and no wider then 8 foot 6 (on the long curved segments), which does conform to the closes match for the 6'8" door heights on the corridor sets, but still, some confirmation before I started building would have been nice :)

Oh well, I may just start building, keep the ratio right and scale it once i've gotten the actual floorplan mocked up.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    I started :) Will post a proper wip thread shortly, but I think I got the dimensions figured.

Basically, based on what I can determine from screenshots of the doors, all the doors on the enterprise are 6'8" and roughly 3-3.5 feet wide, the only doors that are shorter are the ones with black bars, which are 6'4" with a 1inch gap and a 3 inch black bar above it. (That's using screencaps of Jonathan frakes and patrick stewart walking through doors, 6'4" and 5'10' respectively.

I've also determined that based on that, the roof height is 8 foot, 7'8" for the divider heights, and 9 feet wide (8 feet in the straight-transporter room corridor).

I'm gonna throw these into my mockup, see if it matches the floorplan from Pat's site and then run with it from there, At most, i'm not certain of the distance between divisions on the transporter corridor, i think its 4 feet, assuming that the doors are 3 feet wide, but I'll refine that once i match it to the plan.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class