Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DPegasus Space Staion Gatling Gun Defence Weapon

ctaylorctaylor0 Posts: 0Member
edited May 2011 in Work in Progress #1
Here's a few Modo screen grabs of a space station defence weapon. It behaves like the Phalanx Close In Weapon System (CIWS) does on board ships to shoot down incoming missiles.

It was modeled for the independent sci-fi film LVJ and features in a huge space battle.
89211.jpg
89212.jpg
89213.jpg
Post edited by ctaylor on
Tagged:

• PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    Nice. Are the ports on the top back for ejecting shell cases, or where a belt feed goes in?
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    That's very cool lookin' ... but unless it's shooting beams, I can't see how those guns are getting fed.
    Then again ... if that don't matter, then it don't matter! :)
  • ctaylorctaylor0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks for the comments.

Since it's space based, it's probably firing some kind of magnetically accelerated, shard like projectile, that's designed to puncture hulls to cause catastrophic explosive decompression in space, so the projectiles could be quite small. Given the time, I would've liked to add a large magazine that would be belt feeding the weapon, but since the asset is only featured in a handful of shots in the movie, I couldn't justify the time to get the rigging set up for that, so I settled for a halfway house of a fairly large magazine (the oil tank shape at the back) combined with a port (the one on the top) that could have a refill attached which would then deposit a fresh round of projectiles.

I'm currently working on one of the shots that the model features in so I'll upload it when it's done.
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    giant space guns :D

lacks a huge camera/telescope for aiming.

the belt ammobox would have been uber cool
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Doesn't need to be huge. But certainly lacks one.
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Aresius wrote: »
    Doesn't need to be huge.

Aresius, haven't you heard? Bigger's WAYYYYYYYYY better. Even she said that...oh, wait. ;)
    Aresius wrote: »
    But certainly lacks one.

I agree completely with you. Looks like a couple of GAU-8s and I keep expecting to see a huge drum full of 30mm depleted uranium rounds.

Overall, I really like this weapon system and I think it'll fit well with your Pegasus base. Quick question, though. Why'd you start a new thread from something in the same overall project?
  • Capt DaveCapt Dave0 Posts: 0Member
    30mm Gatling Depleted Uranium Rail Gun... I like the sound of that.
    Thanks guys, great comments all round, I'll definitely bear them all in mind for the next 'big space gun' that I model.

Re, Juvat's comment about starting a new thread. Sorry, I should've made it clearer at the beginning of the thread, the model for the space station was modelled quite a few years ago now and I wasn't a part of sci-fi meshes then, so there was no original thread for it. You can however see the space station model in a short clip from the movie that I've attached here, you can also see the gun letting loose on some attacking alien fighters.

Again, thanks for the comments.
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    That is a well nice animation. Although the station looks so small compared to the gun, as if firing it would just send it into a spin!
    Awesome animation!
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    be better if u didnt have to download the mov file..
    colbmista wrote: »
    be better if u didnt have to download the mov file..

It'd be better if you responded with more useful criticism, too. ;)
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    i would if he embeded the video instead like every one else does then i could crit it im not gunan download usless stuff on my computer
    I would've preferred to embed the file, but hadn't uploaded to youtube (or other) at the time, it's now on youtube, so I can embed it here.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Nice work, I like it.
  • Mikey-BMikey-B0 Posts: 0Member
    All you need is a counter thruster on the back to counteract the recoil, and you're good. I like the station, it looks near future.
    colbmista wrote: »
    i would if he embeded the video instead like every one else does then i could crit it im not gunan download usless stuff on my computer

Pfft. Sounds like laziness on your part to me. Perhaps if you had some semblance of decent grammar and could coherently ask things politely you might get better results than you would if you keep typing like a five year old with an attitude of entitlement.

Luckily, ctaylor was nice enough to embed the video as you, er, requested(?).
    Mikey-B wrote: »
    All you need is a counter thruster on the back to counteract the recoil, and you're good. I like the station, it looks near future.

If it was a conventional type of gun, as it appears in the video now, then an exhaust port for gasses would be perfect for that. :)
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    "Lex III: Actioni contrariam semper et aqualem esse reactionem: sive corporum duorum actiones in se mutuo semper esse aquales et in partes contrarias dirigi."

:)